Remove Advertisements

CC is for pussies.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: CC is for pussies.

Postby amh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Bundy wrote:I know CC is not needed, I just said that. But to PURPOSLEY BREAK IT OR YELL AT SOMEONE FOR DOING IT is where I think you guys are wrong.

I don't condone or approve of yelling in game - at all - so I can't really answer to that. I generally mute any player that shouts on ventrilo rather quick, I can't stand it. If said player proceeds to wine, twine, bitch or in any other fashion create a bad mood in game, I remove the player there too. I'm there to have fun, as are the people I play with. In an extreme sense, I guess I can justify it with "You don't appear to have fun, go find something else to do" :)

However, random cc isn't a good thing. When I'm tanking I'm damn well going to be in control of the situation. Nothing is better than a player preventing a wipe by utilizing every tool in his spell-book, but taking it for granted that s/he's supposed to cc something every damn pull is wrong in my book. Call me an ass, but I don't even tank if I'm not leader / assistant. The way game this game is built up, fights evolve around he tank. When the shit hits the fan, great, save the day. But don't purposely ruin the pull by taking an element out of my control.

Every single pull has a plan. Even if that plan is "aoe the shit down so we can get on with it and get our badges".

Its part of the class mechanic and if he wants to use his toon to its fullest extent, you have no right stop him.

Indeed, but nothing is stopping me from breaking his cc either. It's certainly part of my class mechanics.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby meriandle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Really? Has no one noticed that the recent responses are hilariously necro-bumping? So much so that reacting to the OP at this point is absurd? This WAS back at level 70, back when AS had a cast time and warriors were the tanks intended by God (Blizzard.) Anti-CC Sentiment was appropriate back then cause well... it was back then. Do kindly pay attention to post dates when you reply to something like 25 pages back in the archive.
meriandle

Postby Bundy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 pm

[goblin]Time is money friend.[/goblin]

CC slows down the run. (assuming a lack of CC doesn't cause a wipe

Ever heard the phrase "slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
I hate when people are in such a hurry that there pulling shit when they arent the tank. Patients is a virtue.
Id much rather take a few extra seconds between pulls to make sure everything is good to go than wipe. If you do shit right the first time, you wont have to go back and do it again. Im all for a smooth run, but that doesnt always mean nonstop pulls.

Wtf does necro-bumping even mean?

Indeed, but nothing is stopping me from breaking his cc either. It's certainly part of my class mechanics.

Thats part of anyones mechanics. Do you approve of your healing priest to MC something mid fight and not heal you? Cuz thats part of there class mechanic too. How bout a nice fear in a crowded room?

Bottom line is, CC should no make your run much longer if at all. All it means is less incoming damage per second, and less to have to control at a time. Since when are Elites being AoE'd down? And what about those pesky caster mobs that dont wanna come to you?

If your gonna be good with your character, you have to know them inside and out. Never using an ability is not helping you get better for when you need to use that ability. If every run you do you just wanna rush through it, how are these newer guys gonna learn to use this stuff? Sometimes you gotta go back the basics.
Bundy

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Bundy wrote:
Wtf does necro-bumping even mean?

Bumping - to move a thread to the top of the forums.
Necromancy - bringing something long-dead back to a twisted mockery of life.

Bundy wrote:If your gonna be good with your character, you have to know them inside and out. Never using an ability is not helping you get better for when you need to use that ability.

At the end of the day, CC just makes a run more fiddly than it needs to be. I've never had a problem using CC when it will make my life easier. But that isn't all the time I'd rather be building aggro on a mob and getting mana back from it than have it sitting there getting aggro from the CCer and the healer but not me.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 am

Not really man, I just respond to what I read. I make an attempt to read the dates of the posts but it doesnt always happen.

I Scan forums looking for something interesting and I read it. After I read it, if I feel like writing a response thats just what I do. Its that simple.

At the end of the day, CC just makes a run more fiddly than it needs to be. I've never had a problem using CC when it will make my life easier. But that isn't all the time I'd rather be building aggro on a mob and getting mana back from it than have it sitting there getting aggro from the CCer and the healer but not me.

I agree 100% that not CCing is easier for most situations. And im not gonna ask someone to do it if they are not already, unless its life or death that is. But all im trying to say is, the people who are being complete jerks about people wanting to CC are wrong. Its one thing to break it on accident when doing your normal stuff. But to go out of the way to break it everytime and/or yelling at the person is bad. Your basicaly shoving your ideals down their throat. Whats next? Are you gonna preach the bible and try to convert them to christianity?

There are better ways to approach the situation. Asking is usualy the first step.

Anyways I think there should be more instances, well I guess you have to at least one before you can have more, but at least half of the instances should require some sort of CC so people dont get too lazy.
Bundy

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:25 am

Why the hell has this thread been necro'ed? Nothing in it is even valid anymore, it is a throwback to yesteryear when we loled at CC and ran through Shattered Halls with wanton abandon doing our 'stuff'.

C'mon people, if you are that bored do something useful rather than dig about in old threads looking for something to argue about. I can't even begin to understand why this thread would be dug up from the 3rd March 2008.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 am

If everyone gets so upset about old threads being responded to, why dont the moderators delete out of date stuff to prevent this and help keep the site looking clean?
Bundy

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:56 am

Bundy wrote:If everyone gets so upset about old threads being responded to, why dont the moderators delete out of date stuff to prevent this and help keep the site looking clean?

I personally like to credit the posters here with common sense and intelligence, digging up a thread that is over a year old to argue about it just doesn't seem sensible to me, especially when the thread has little relevance on where as a class we stand today.

In this case I feel it isn't the moderators responsibility to delete old threads but rather the posters responsibility to know when things are relevant or not and as such know when necro'ed threads are viable or not. This however is my own personal view and may or may not be shared by the rest of the moderation team.

It is a two way thing, don't dig up old threads with the sole intent to argue about them and then no-one gets confused about why the thread is necro'ed. I don't mind relevant threads being brought back at all for continued discussion, but it seems churlish to necro a thread to argue about what someone posted over a year ago.

I am happy to discuss it further via Pm if you wish to Bundy, just send me a message :wink:

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Bundy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:32 am

Nah, im good actualy. As I said before I didnt read to post date and didnt "Necro" it knowingly.

I just like discussing stuff, im not doing anything with the sole purpose of "arguing".
Bundy

Postby sublimated » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Bundy wrote:Nah, im good actualy. As I said before I didnt read to post date and didnt "Necro" it knowingly.

I just like discussing stuff, im not doing anything with the sole purpose of "arguing".

Hmm, It doesn't seem like so much of a discussion when you're unwilling to perceive anyone else's POV either.

Having said that. I'm too one of the pally tanks who used to cruise through heroics and kara etc just aoe tanking everything. I never saw it as epeen or ego, but most often than not, CC or uncontrolled CC, or accidental breaking of CC would lead to more wipes than help out back in TBC.

Also, aoe tanking had the added benefit that given the massive reflective threat pallies have (even more back then) having mobs just beating at you would build massive amounts of threat and you would not have to worry about any of them escaping.

sarutobi wrote:However, random cc isn't a good thing. When I'm tanking I'm damn well going to be in control of the situation. Nothing is better than a player preventing a wipe by utilizing every tool in his spell-book, but taking it for granted that s/he's supposed to cc something every damn pull is wrong in my book. Call me an ass, but I don't even tank if I'm not leader / assistant. The way game this game is built up, fights evolve around he tank. When the shit hits the fan, great, save the day. But don't purposely ruin the pull by taking an element out of my control.

+1+1+1 to the bolded statement.

When tanking one should always be in control. You should never be just pulling and hoping for the best but have some foresight to the pull and know exactly how the mobs will react and act accordingly. Tank proactively, not reactively.

Brundy mentioned something about casters just standing back and casting. If you're a good tank, you will know your pulls well enough to counter this. Whether you're pulling with LoS or doing a famous bubble-pull to have all casters just run up and try and melee you before anyone else draws any threat. There are many ways to round up your kills and get them all whithin consecration.

To top it off, like everyone said, and as the title of this thread would incur. CC was a huge necessity back then in TBC. People assume it was needed all the time and no other tanks but pallies could do AoE threat like pallies could. We were also very looked down upon and had to build a name for ourselves.

Suddenly we began gaining recognition, pretty quickly. How? Because with a pally tank CC was no longer necessary, and zerging through instances could be done smoothly and effortlessly. Everyone loved (and many stioll do!) a pally tank when zerging through heroics, and that's cause CC stands for constant consecration :mrgreen:
sublimated

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:40 am

Unnecessary and outdated necro is unnecessary and outdated.
Lore
Global Mod

Previous

Return to General Strats