Remove Advertisements

Switching to Prot Pally -- raid question

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Switching to Prot Pally -- raid question

Postby Caddirly » Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 am

All,
I am switching from my prot warrior, 508 ilvl, to a prot pally, currently 492 ilvl. My guild is currently 5/12 and I am one of our main tanks and current RL. I want yalls advice on whether I should wait another week trying to gear outside of my guild group (taking way longer) to hit 500 ilvl or whether being 492 (possibly 495 by raid tonight) is good enough to sustain me through the first 5 bosses or so? Raid healers are good but not great. Thoughts? And thanks for your time!

Big ilvl difference but I know that pally tanks are significantly stronger which is why I ask the advice on how much wiggle room I have on ilvl so my healers do not notice much of a negative difference. I don't want to hurt the raid group.
Caddirly

Re: Switching to Prot Pally -- raid question

Postby Bellanka » Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 am

5-8 ilevels aren't going to make as much of a difference as learning your timings in a raid environment.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Caddirly » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for responding and I agree. I have been practicing in lfr as doing regular mechanics although things obviously dont hit as hard. Currently it is a 508-492, 16 ilvl difference. Is that too much? Or if I hit 495 before raid would 13 ilvl be too much as well?
Caddirly

Postby Bellanka » Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

The issue is that the gear you'll get from raids, and from the extra chance at bonus rolls, outweighs the RNG of getting gear from outside means. You'll gear up faster if you use ALL the resources available to you ... and the sooner they get you in the sooner you'll get that ilevel up. (Which is nowhere near as important as some people think it is.)
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Return to General Strats