Remove Advertisements

Farming Firelands Trash

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Farming Firelands Trash

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:55 am

I've seen people talking about farming (solo or in small groups) Firelands trash. I'm assuming you mean the non-standard way, so no tanks+healers, but rather with kiting? Can it be done with a fresh instance, or do certain bosses need to be dead first?
Kelaan

Re: Farming Firelands Trash

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 pm

With ryolith dead, you can kite 4packs up to him and kite around and around and around.
Without any boss dead, you have to stealth past (with invis pot) the molten giant, but i dont really know where theres room to safely kite without any bosses dead.
Altho, i think you have to be able to aoe slow them? or maybe they are just slow, atleast DKs are really really good at it, dunno if paladins are that great for soloing the trash.
I think its mainly the scorpion trash that you kite and kill.
A paladin would take AGES to kill stuff tho.
There was also some non elites that dropped epic loots you could farm, that mages could invis past and kill repeatedly, but think it was fixed and it doesnt drop loot anymore.
Treck

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 pm

I saw a video (youtube: "firelands trash solo 0/7") that showed a DK doing what I'm going to try.

- Zone in, mount up.
- Carefully bypass the large giant.
- Stay mounted, and body pull the scorpion packs (and perhaps the turtle ones?). Careful looping will help group these up.
- Beware of patrols (!!!)
- Fight them on the curve of the road that's devoid of trash near the spider gauntlet, before it goes to the higher road-elevation -- this place has no trash, so you can kite in a tight circle.

The wowhead entry for one of the scorpion types has a link showing the part of the map. (I don't have it handy still.)

This requires you to have a perma-snare like Concussive Barrage or Chillblains on everything, apparently, though. If you have a lock with Shannox killed, you have a LOT more area, and can kite pretty much without a snare (as long as you have a run speed buff), it seems.

I'm going to see if my friend (hunter) and I (ele shammy alt) can do it. He'll provide Pack+Concussive Barrage, and I'll provide the flame shock+fire nova stacking for damage. The mobs randomly retarget, so we'll need to stay together, for the most part.
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm

The kiteable respawning packs are:

- scorpions: just about anyone with a good snare or run speed boost should be able to do these

- small turtle single pulls (in the lava) or 3 pull (next to the lava): again anyone snare should be able

- hounds: snarable but they move fast - DK can solo them fairly well, hunter can too but it's risker since our snare falls off more often, and the hounds catch up very quickly

- elemental packs: hunters can do these slowly, since even though the big guy isn't snarable you can outrun them with aspect of the pack. I doubt DKs can manage the speed needed, but any class with Pack up should be fine. They're fairly slow to solo as a hunter because there's not much you can do while kiting in Cheetah/Pack. The little adds with them are snareable and easily dispatched once the big guy is dead.

- Large turtle singles (in the lava) and large turtle families (mom, dad + 2 kids): anyone with snares should be able to kite these, but I'm not sure many classes except hunters can actually DPS the dad turtle, because he'll kill you if you're meleeing him solo, and his periodic shell reflects spells (but not ranged hunter attacks).

If you have shannox down, you have several elemental packs up, 1 scorp, 1 hound, 1 turtle family, 1 small turtle triplet, and 2-3 single turtles in the lava. You can kite back and forth towards bethtilac's hill, you can kite in circles in a couple of open places, or you can kite up into Alysrazor or Rhyolith's rooms and just do laps in there. The lava surgers will be up, but they just stay in their places and don't bother you. If Shannox is up, there will be several more packs including more scorpions, a patrolling pack of hounds, and all the core hound pats. If you have a way to sneak by the giant at the entrance, you can pull most of the above fine, but you need to time it right so you don't run into one of the many pats going around. You can kite circles up between the base of Beth's mountain and the bridge to Baelroc's plateau, maybe other spots too.

Bringing a 2nd person can speed things up a lot, and let you do combos you normally wouldn't - for instance my hunter can kite the turtle packs my friend's DK can't, but he can dps them while I hold aggro and kite. Then he can kite the hounds which normally I don't bother to do (ratio of succesful kite to failed kite is too low for me), and I can dps them while he does. Then I can throw on pack and we can both kite the infernal packs.

I think on a completely fresh instance you can kite more things at once for more efficient AoE, but I'd rather just take the easy no-path single pulls in a partially/fully cleared instance. There's an AoE cap past about 10 (15?) targets anyway, so I don't think it would save your very much time kiting multiple packs at once - once at cap the damage per target is reduced so that the total damage per cast (ignoring crits, resists etc) is equal to the damage you'd have done if there were just 10 targets. Some aoe abilities bypass this cap though.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 am

Something to be considered is that there are a lot more mobs in the elemental packs on 25 man than there are on 10 man. There are 40 elementals that can be kited around as opposed to about 20 - double the chance to get a lucky mob with a purple.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:25 am

fafhrd wrote:There's an AoE cap past about 10 (15?) targets anyway, so I don't think it would save your very much time kiting multiple packs at once - once at cap the damage per target is reduced so that the total damage per cast (ignoring crits, resists etc) is equal to the damage you'd have done if there were just 10 targets. Some aoe abilities bypass this cap though.

The trick I'm hoping to leverage is to have my ele shaman get a flame shock up on as many of them as I can -- since it's a DoT on each one (like diseases), I suspect that it'll be OK. The hardest part for me is getting a raid lock with Shannox down, sadly. I tried it with him still up, and the fast-moving surgers and dog patrols kept aggroing and eating me. Figuring out the patrol pattern there is just Nasty. :(
Kelaan

Return to General Strats