Gear for ICC Heroics

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Gear for ICC Heroics

Postby Jirroll » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Oh, ok, thanks. That explains it. I knew the name sounded familiar. I think I had it on my bar as sort of a "Back up" taunt when I played regularly before. People still use, RD, right?
Jirroll

Postby Jirroll » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 pm

So I turned my account on and started playing. Did 2 Heroics, Violet Hold and a 5 Man of the Trail place. I guess I did ok. I told the group I was rusty and one guy really guided me, so it was cool.

The 5 Man Trial was kind of dull, yet interesting that it was new at least.

Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I need to look towards some gear upgrade guides. Which guide might I follow, coming from Naxx Gear?
Jirroll

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 am

I would suggest turning on your "Show Item Level" feature in your interface.

Generally 9/10 times an item with a higher item level is going to be an upgrade.
Usually Naxx gear is around lvl 213/219 depending on which version you got it in.

Most all of your upgrades are going to be coming from buying the Triumph badge gear(Ilevel 232). Along with picking up some upgrades from Heroic ToC, Norm and heroic ICC 5mans.

Along with depending on the need for an upgrade maybe even snagging a few conquest peices.

P.S. I would highly recommend jumping over to both of the "gear" pages, 1 of them you can request suggestions for replacements, the other you can usually find loot tables of what comes from the new goodies.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Jirroll » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll try just about all that. I didn't see the show item level option yet but I will hunt for it.

I got an upgrade last night, or at least something I could use. From normal Trial 5 man I got the trinket. I had last been using The Essence of Gossamar and the 84 defense trinket from Naxx, but discovered I can now hit 540 defense without the def trinket, so I now have 2 nice stam trinkets.

Might try a normal 5 man of the first ICC today. I think gear-wise I could do heroic, but I should do the right thing and try it once in normal to "Learn" it.

I can already tell just badge gear upgrades will take me quite far.

EDIT: I almost forgot, is the old LFG tool totally gone? I was trying to see what raids were going on on my own server last night and there seems to be no way to do it. I like the dungeon finder, but it kinda stinks if they took out all ways to find raids on your own server.
Jirroll

Postby tuberon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Jirroll wrote:EDIT: I almost forgot, is the old LFG tool totally gone? I was trying to see what raids were going on on my own server last night and there seems to be no way to do it. I like the dungeon finder, but it kinda stinks if they took out all ways to find raids on your own server.

Raids are now on the Raid page of the Social button. Has a "LF Raid" thing.
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby srpnt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm

I just recently did basically what you're asking about doing. Here's a summary of my experiences thus far.

I quit playing shortly after 3.2 and was pretty decked in Naxx-10/25 and Ulduar-10 gear. I heard about the new LFG system and immediately reactivated my subscription to go pugging. The pugging's been amazing - I'm gearing up while making money by the fistful. After 5 years of playing on and off, I bought my first epic flyer with what I made in 6 days of PUGs.

I'd recommend running normal ICC to complete the quest chain and get an idea how the encounters play out. Things to look out for are the chaotic mechanics of the 2nd boss of the 1st instance, painful damage on the trash after the 2nd boss of the 2nd instance, another complicated mess with the last boss of the 2nd instance, and bloody mayhem during the waves of trash in the 3rd instance. This might net you a couple upgrades or preferable sidegrades; I replaced a lot of block rating gear from Naxx while remaining unhittable.

After you've gotten what you wanted from ICC, I'd put on your strength/block gear and ask in trade chat for a 4k+ dps that wants to chain random heroics. If you're Naxx geared any healer should be able to keep you up through double pulls, so chain pull whole instances and let the DPS clean up the mess. Most instances can be completed in 15-20 minutes, or about 4 minutes per boss. The end result is about 20 Emblems of Triumph per hour, or about 15 hours total to get your T9 set, trinket and ring.

Once you've got enough T9 gear that you start getting dropped into ICC Heroics through the LFG tool, I'd start running them daily for upgrades. The final bosses of these instances drop boots, a weapon, and a shield that will probably be upgrades for you. Once you finish them you can start doing randoms and potentially get another shot at the loot!

A couple changes that took me a while to figure out were Vindication, which is now good to the point of required, and Seal of Command, which is now great for snap agro and multiple targets.

If you're looking for a quick shopping list you might check Hart on Sen'jin - I've just finished grabbing everything except the pants that I can get with Triumph emblems and will soon be working on my Holy set.
srpnt

Previous

Return to General Strats