Remove Advertisements

Gear for ICC Heroics

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Gear for ICC Heroics

Postby Jirroll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Hey all,

I got another post floating around saying I had been thinking about coming back to WoW for awhile while I am in break from school. Wasn't sure weather to add to that thread or post here. Hope I made the right choice.

I was just wondering what level of difficulty the new 5 mans Heroics from ICC are suppose to be? I realize it might even be too early to ask this, but I actually mean gear-wise. Are they in line with the existing Heroics from WotlK or suppose to be higher end? I have mostly Naxx 25 Heroic gear on. Is that good enough for these, or are they going to need like Ulduar, that champions Hall place, etc gear?

Like my other post says, thinking about coming back and just not sure where I would take my out of date Naxx gear wearing butt. When I posted before ICC wasn't even out and boom, now it is. I'd love to know if I could just jump into these new 5 mans and do them for awhile as I am now.

You can search me, Jirroll, on the armory to see my gear. I'm the only one the search will find.

Thanks!
Jirroll

Re: Gear for ICC Heroics

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

The Frozen Halls heroics are higher than H ToC which is higher than the rest of the WotLK heroics. I've got gear to tank ToC25, and the place almost killed me a few times. I would be wary about entering there without some 226 pieces. Granted if your whole group is awesome, a 213 tank could probably survive.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Jirroll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Gotcha.

I think I better just do some old heroics for those new badges I know next to nothing about. I hope they could even net me better gear than what I have.

Thanks for the reply. =)
Jirroll

Postby Niinbob » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:34 am

You can use the dungeon finder to do a "random heroic" and it ignored lockouts. You can get as many Triumph Badges in 1 day as you feel like running heroics, and you get 2 extra per heroic for completing it in a "random heroic" fashion. I had a friend get 60 Triumph badges in 1 day from doing that. Gogo 232 T9!
Niinbob

Postby Jirroll » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Nice.

I'm guessing then I can probably replace just about all my H Naxx 25 Gear just with badge Gear now? Then what instance would I progressively want to go to next? Ulduar? Or would I skip over that?

Thanks for the help.

Is there much need for 2 tank sets nowadays? I always had a raid boss set, and a heavy block value set for trash. I wonder if I still need both, not that I minded 2 sets. I kinda liked it.
Jirroll

Postby xxkinetikxx » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Honestly if you have a decent group I cant see a reason why a naxx geared tank would have any issues. Maybe in HoR but just make sure you get them stacked up, use Holy Wrath often and fear the mage if you need to :)

Good luck!
xxkinetikxx

Postby Jirroll » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 am

I'm not sure what HoR is. Sorry, I'm behind. =)
Jirroll

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 am

Halls of Reflection, the last wing of the Heroics. It's can get rather brutal with the incoming damage.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Ratly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am

I was wondering what would you guys say is a good amount of HP to tank these instances with? Someone in my group was telling me that the average tank running these instances has around 45k hp. This was after she told our warrior tank that he didn't have anywhere near enough HP to tank. I only have 33k hp with buffs I can get as high as about 40k. Is 45k really the amount of HP I want to have in order to tank these instances?
Ratly

Postby Belgeran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 am

40k buffed shouldnt be a problem as long as your heals and dps are ok.
The trash mostly hits harder than the bosses, and it can be cc'ed pretty well.

Random Heroic is great as well, instant queues for tanks. Did 70 badges today, i just ask in trade for 1-2 dps i offer instant queues, but ask for decent geared dps, works great.
Belgeran

Postby Jirroll » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:35 pm

To xxkinetikxx:

Thanks for the reply and info, as to everyone. I didn't realize you were talking about one of the new instances. No wondering I didn't know its abbreviation yet. I'm a little surprised then, so you are saying i COULD do all the new Heroics, even the hardest one, if I was very careful. Good to know but I should probably aim a little lower, to start. For one thing, I'm horribly out of practice. But if I recall, Tanking a heroic wasn't much more than gathering mobs and letting them beat on you while others kill them.

Would you all agree I should probably just get some new gear from Heroic Badges before I try any kind of raid? If I even raid I should say. I'd love to see Ulduar, as I never did and always loved the Titan Lore. I guess I could actually go there right away gear wise, but I just lack the experience. That trial of the champions is like a 5 man and a raid right? I don't know much about it but it's it sort of designed like The Violet Hold where all you do is fight bosses one after another? That whole instance set seemed kind of dull to me, at least from what I read but maybe I'm wrong. Kind of wished I could just skip it entirely, but it might be required for the gear I need.

I was thinking I could upgrade all my Gems from the 24 stam I had to the 30s that now exist but wonder if that would be worth it, depending on how fast I might replace stuff. Anyway thanks again for the help in this thread. I should note I haven't came back yet, just haven't made the plunge. I got my last assignment for school done, and today is been really dull. Keep thinking about jumping into WoW. But I've been enjoying Zelda Spirit Tracks so much I don't want something else to tempt me yet. Haha.
Jirroll

Postby Hokahey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:48 am

Ratly wrote:I was wondering what would you guys say is a good amount of HP to tank these instances with? Someone in my group was telling me that the average tank running these instances has around 45k hp. This was after she told our warrior tank that he didn't have anywhere near enough HP to tank. I only have 33k hp with buffs I can get as high as about 40k. Is 45k really the amount of HP I want to have in order to tank these instances?

45k HP is absolutely not necessary to tank them. I suppose you could afford to be stupider with that level of gear, and play witrh stupider people, but it isn't necessary.

Personally, I have just shy of 33k HP unbuffed in my heroic tanking set, and I have no problem in terms of survival. Granted, more HP would mean an easier run, theoretically, but if the healer can't keep you alive with 33k hp, they can't with 45k either.

Ways to seem leet while tanking ICC5's-

Interrupt the last boss'(in FoS) blast spell as often as possible. Most groups fail to do this. Also, watch where you're standing.

Sit behind Saronite chunks on first boss in PoS while he runs to forge up a new weapon, to clear your debuff stack.

Kite last boss in PoS to a frost patch, then keep him on that patch (and slowed) by running in a circle around it, and literally stay out of melee range for almost the whole fight. Taunt if you lose aggro.

Taunt then LoS ranged types in the waves, don't rely on your healer to do anything but stand there and get shot.

Pop a mitigation cooldown on 1st boss in HoR, and then pop 1 again on the last stretch of the chase when abominations start to pile up on you. Do as much DPS as possible for both, even if it means switching items around a little bit and losing some mitigation from gear for additional damage.
Hokahey

Postby maaya » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am

I was running Random Heroics on my druid healer, and got thrown into healing heroic Halls of Reflection.

I had 2300 healing bonus with flask and food in tree form. Even had four pieces of blue gear.
The tank had about 38k health, if I remember correctly.
DPS all did about 3k+.

We had a few wipes, but mostly because the tank left mobs chewing on me and I went down first. If the tank was a little better in grabbing mobs, I can see us finishing the place smoothly.

A good way to progress into heroic ICC5, I think, is to just run Random Heroics and upgrade your gear via emblem purchases. When you find yourself thrown into any one of the three ICC5 instances as tank, it means you've past the gear check set down by Blizzard.

I ran random heroics for quite a while before I got heroic ICC5. So just leave the gear check to the system.

PS: Regular ICC5 drops 219 gear, it may be worth it to run these to replace any 200 epics you still wear, and to practice. Heroic ICC5 drops 232 gear, and the Emblem of Triumph lets you purchase T9 which is 232. If you're basically Naxx25 geared, you should be chain-running Random Heroics until you've bought all the Triumph gear you want. Forget Ulduar gear. Nobody goes there anymore. You might still be able to see some "fun" runs for Ulduar10, though. :P
This account has gone dormant.
maaya

Postby Jirroll » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm

The new LFG finder does a gear check on you? I had not read about that. That is very interesting to know!
Jirroll

Postby Hokahey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Jirroll wrote:The new LFG finder does a gear check on you? I had not read about that. That is very interesting to know!

It does, though I'm not entirely certain how it does so, what exactly it evaluates, or what level of gear "isn't good enough". I'm uncertain what instances this applies to, or if it only applies to lvl 80 Heroics, and even then, if all, or just some. From my observations, it seems to be only the ICC5 Heroics, though its hard to tell.
Hokahey

Next

Return to General Strats