Remove Advertisements

[H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [H] Halls of Reflection - Waves

Postby Baelik » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:52 am

Edit: Oops overlooked a page there. Some good advice preceded this.

My
Tips for the Paladin Tank:
  • Mark your kill target ASAP and ensure your CCer knows which is his target.
  • The most useful tool in your arsenal is Holy Wrath. Clump them together > Holy Wrath > Consecrate > pew pew and they stick like glue. Makes life easier for the healer when you are the heal spam target.
  • Save Avenger's Shield for the Mage, this will allow you to bring the mage close to you in case she is casting at you while rooted away from your AoE pew pew radius. BE Racial is useful in case you have 2 mages.
  • Cleanse at least your healer. I know far too many ret/prot paladins who don't even know they have the spell.
  • Watch for and interrupt the Priest's heals, save Hammer of Justice only for that interrupt because its very likely the PuG dps is staring at Recount. It is long enough cast for you to have time to tab switch and use your hammer.
  • Priests, Rogues and Footmen follow you once you have aggro. Once established take them to the mage or rifleman (if they are not CCed) and continue AoE aggro spam so that they don't go after your healer.
  • Keep the mobs ahead of your healer so that if/when you lose aggro you have enough time to pull them back. It is also easy to spot the Rifleman or Mage who has to get in range to fire at your healer because if they were still firing at you then they wouldn't have to get so close.

So many opinions on how to do this. My preference is tank at either doorway. Rogues > Priests > Mages > Riflemen > Footmen. But theres a lot of room for improvisation.
Baelik

Postby Kiorken » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:17 pm

-----Tips for Other DK Tanks Out There-----

Admittedly, this instance is a pain in the rear, I often get undergeared healers, and usually Death Strike like mad to stay alive. Back on topic, here are some things to consider.

-Like usual, have everyone hide in the alcove.
-Drop DnD OUTSIDE the wide "doorway" area to the room your guys are hiding in, this picks up initial threat.
-Put up diseases on the Priests ASAP
-Death Grip the Mages AFTER they Blink
-Keep Mind Freeze for Priest's Dark Mending
-Use Strangulate to pull Mages
-Remind your Pallies of the Skill entitled Holy Wrath, and for them to use it when everything is rounded up.
-Pre-emptively use Icebound Fortitude to avoid Kidney Shot when the Mercenaries start agro on you.
-Try to LOS the Riflemen over to you, or have a Priest Shackle, or Hunter Freeze Arrow
-If you are geting focused by the Mages, and their little copycat mages, make sure to blow AMS.
-Use Vampiric Blood/Unbreakable Armor EVERY cooldown
-Tab target, and tap Pestilence on two different targets every 12 seconds or so
-Blood: Use DnD every CD, using your 5 minute Rune CD if you have to, Frost: Use Rime procs to blow Howling Blast, regardless of Killing Machine procs, trust me, you will need the agro

For the first boss, use AMS to prevent the fears about every 25 percent, and to soak up Well of Eternity spawns. For second boss, use Vampiric Blood, and Icebound Fortitude every time he hits YOU with the Decaying Flesh debuff thing. The miniboss should be cake for a DK tank. For the Lich King chase, do NOT, drop DnD for the little ghoul spawns, instead, save it for the elite adds that come up, make sure to Death Grip/Strangulate casters as pulls.

Oh yeah, make sure to face the Aboms AWAY from your group, that upchuck they do is strait up like Aliens movie acid in terms of causing death.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Baelik » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 pm

For Horde Tanks it may be worthwhile to point out the benefits of our racials:

Blood Elf tanks can use Arcane Torrent to collapse a group of casters rooted slightly out of range. Strangulate for DKs can be considered a single target version of it.

Tauren's War Stomp is similar to Holy Wrath with just with a 2 yard shorter radius. It is still very useful especially if you don't have a Paladin.

Tauren Paladin FTW :P
Baelik

Postby Playdoh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 am

One thing was pointed out to me, kill the hallucination before killing any of the regular mobs.

The hallucination does not count as part of the group and the next wave spawns when the last of the group is killed.

That few seconds to regroup and see where things are coming from is nice.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 am

Waves nerfed:
On top of the gear requirement we have just made a few changes to the ghost waves that will make the dungeon a bit easier.
Zobel

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am

Zobel wrote:Waves nerfed:
On top of the gear requirement we have just made a few changes to the ghost waves that will make the dungeon a bit easier.

The ghost waves at the beginning of both normal and heroic Halls of Reflection have undergone several changes that should make them easier to defeat such as preventing 2 mages or 2 mercenaries from spawning in the 5 mob pulls, a shorter duration of the spectral footman’s shield bash, and the spectral mage’s flamestrike having a longer cast time, shorter duration, and (in heroic) doing less damage.

Good job, guys. You got one of my favorite instances nerfed. >=(
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelik » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Occulus pre nerfs was mine :(

Hope HoR doesnt' become the same...
Baelik

Postby pt376 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:28 pm

I've been doing this on Heroic for a week now. I do not rely on any other member's ability since I mostly random. Here is how I do it.
Have Sanc + Seal of command
Everyone get into the corner, Tank have LOS on mob, put Consecrate for initial aggro.
1st incoming, judgment, then hold aggro with melee
2nd incoming, Sacred shield, then hold aggro with melee
3rd incoming, Hammer of righteousness
4th incoming, avenging wrath
Save shield throwing for Hunter mob, throw it too him for aggro.

Feel free to do your rotation as long as the corresponding skill is not in CD. This way you will have aggro for all of the mobs. When the melees are killed, hid in the corner, hunter will come forward due to LOS and DPS can kill them then.

p.s. If you are fast enough, you can squeeze in a Turn evil at the beginning of the wave to the range mob, if not, dont bother, you will wipe since you will miss the first melee rushed to the healer.
pt376

Postby Eaglestrike » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:15 am

I recommend this:

Judgement on first mob.
Hand of Reckoning 2nd mob (which has now probably targetted the healer)
Shield slam a 3rd mob (optional if the pull has 5 mobs)
Avenger's shield at the mage.
Run mobs to the hunter.

While you're running to the hunter you HotR and such to keep threat on the mobs you've picked up. You can skip having to move to the hunter or specifically shield throw the mage if there's a reasonable DK in the group, but that's all on whether you want to rely on them or not.

When doing this I stand right in the middle of the area, on the anvil thing. I normally judge/HoR the two mobs that spawn where my group is hiding and use my ranged abilities and move to the outer ones, as normally the ranged will aggro my group hiding around the corner and spend the first 5s of the pull running over to where I am picking up the first mobs. Once you get in range of the hunter, holy wrath and consecrate which should keep everything in your area for the rest of the pull as long as you keep pressing buttons.
Eaglestrike

Postby blkthunder » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 am

Veilan wrote:First to get off my chest: Most boring, half-assed instance ever.

On topic: I had no problems, usually at least one CC, shackle or repentance, is present. Hit one rifle or mage with it, then just drag your melee mobs to the other. You're a paladin - remember to make use of holy wrath, it's perfect to stick the melees to you and give you a headstart while you trundle over happily to your ranged target. If you got two CCs, even better.

Though, I didn't even find it difficult without CCs, since you can just force a mage to trundle over to you with avenger's shield.

wow either you're jaded or i just have low standards. If its the latter plx refrain from telling my GF :evil:

I think its an interesting twist on a timed event. Kinda a rehash of the SH event but honestly, who runs that crap now? I believe its far more interesting than VH and BM. I also consider it the last part of a chain, so it may be a short encounter but its only really episode 3 of the series and not a whole movie so to speak.
.............................Do not go gentle into that good night.............................
...........................Rage, rage against the dying of the light...........................
blkthunder

Postby Ljtibs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm

GothicPL wrote:I tanked and healed this event multiple times now.
Oh. My. God.

Mind you, I was doing the healing on a class that probably has most tools at its disposal to deal with various mob abilities - resto shaman (tremor, cleansing, decurse hunter +100% goodness), but even with all that, when mercs silence you and hunters trap you there is a good chance someone will die. Basically, regardless of gear you need to heal your guts off, and try to drink during the short breaks between the waves. Frankly, this event is more challenging to heal than any raids I've healed so far.

My current main is a Resto shaman http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Terenas&cn=Velkitor. I am rolling up a paladin (and loving it) for Catta.

This place is cake to heal if you have a solid group of intelligent dps.

Tanks:
By far the easiest run I have had was with someone's alt prot paly. The pally took way less dmg than any of the other tanks I have ran this with. My worst experience was with a really well geared DK! (I have not done it with a war) My normal 5man daily tank is a Druid and he does fairly well with this event, and has nice 'oh shit' buttons.

As for mob kill order as long as the tank picks up the melee guys you should be okay. Group focus fires down the casters while the tank ramps agro on the mobs. Then the group kills the crap out of the adds. As long as the casters go down quick dmg is isolated to the tank for the most part.

We use the hide method. I tell my group to stay with in chain heal range, and I bridge the possible gap between the range dps and the tank, so no matter who I heal it can hop to anyone in the group. In a good controlled situation my Earth shield + Riptide will keep the tank up, and a few chain heals is all that is needed to keep the rest of the group up.

If your dps is slackin it will make it a lot harder on the healer b/c those flamestrikes hurt! This may cause your healer to have mana issues. Just let them know (if they do not already) there is a brief ooc period between waves if you are killing fast enough (just spam food until you are eating). If you are not getting this OOC period then you are probably lacking DPS and should tell people to step it up or find the slacker and replace them!
Ljtibs

Postby Zobel » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 am

Ljtibs wrote:
If you are not getting this OOC period then you are probably lacking DPS and should tell people to step it up or find the slacker and replace them!

You can't replace anyone unless there's a wipe. The door locks and the replacement can't reach the waves.
Zobel

Postby Ljtibs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:49 am

Zobel wrote:
Ljtibs wrote:
If you are not getting this OOC period then you are probably lacking DPS and should tell people to step it up or find the slacker and replace them!

You can't replace anyone unless there's a wipe. The door locks and the replacement can't reach the waves.

If you lack dps you are going to wipe. So between attempts you can change people out...
Ljtibs

Postby Sedrea » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 am

Holy Wrath makes the waves very easy to handle.

Zoom all the way out and hide in the cubby (face the wall so your view behind you extends into the main room). When you see the first mob approach, Consecrate. Move out of the corner and use Avenger's Shield on the Priest (or Mage if there isn't one). By now all the adds should be nearing the alcove. Use Holy Wrath to stun them all then start your rotations. If a Hunter or Mage doesn't follow you in, taunt it then keep an eye on it for a target change and taunt it back.

If you time your HW's you can get them all in a group and AoE them down. Hope this helps!
Sedrea

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:40 pm

i have done the alcove thing as a tank and as long as everyone is patient it works great.

i have everyone hide, and i stay out in the middle of the alcove, but back against the wall. as soon as the melee get running in, ill RD the healer or who ever has aggro, and then use judgements/AS/tuant on casters.

use AW as an oh shit button, combined with cons and a HoR you shouldnt have any issues getting aggro back.

i would also suggest using SoComm for the trash, it will aid in pickup, and that is more of a challenge then keeping threat

as a dps, or if you have a ret pally as a dps, use repentence http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=20066 on the mage and focus on the hunter/melee, or if no mage,repent the hunter and wail on the melee.

this works EXTREMELY well if you stay at the entrance and can pick out the caster/hunter.
just a note, did that tactic with a prot/fury warrior tanking (only cause he is better geared then me prot-whise, and i am slightly better geared for dps):twisted:

granted i had aggro 90% of the time on the hunter on mage pulls, but i had enough CD's it wasnt an issue on reg

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Previous

Return to General Strats