Quick and Dirty on the [H] Halls Bosses of ICC

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Quick and Dirty on the [H] Halls Bosses of ICC

Postby Cheroz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:07 am

Hello Everyone,
I haven't seen anything posted on here yet, so I figured I would throw out some quick strats on the new dungeons from a tank's perspective. Feel free to add/counter anything I have posted, since I: 1. Did not run them at all on the PTR. 2. Have run them only once since the servers have been down for most of the release so far. (Why nothing on the last dungeon is on here yet, but I will add those once I get in there.) I know some of this is on other sites, but since this is the only site I can access on a govenment computer, I am partial to this one so here is my addition.

Forge of Souls
One word of caution on the trash pulls. Their agro range seems to be a little farther than I was used to. I pulled a little sooner than I am used to, but could have been just me.
1. Bronjahm - 2 Phases.
1st - Tank him on the one side of the room with ranged/healers on the other side. He will cast Drain Soul on someone besides the tank. If he begins to cast on a mellee, then the tank moves him away from the member as soon as possible. An orb will form after the cast. The dps needs to target the orb and kill it. If it reaches the boss, it will heal him. The fight continues as such until 30%.
2nd - He begins to cast teleport. All party members need to collapse and stack in the middle of the room where he teleports during the cast. He begins to cast a whirlwind ability. Continue to dps him down. Random members will be feared, get back to the middle as fast as you can. Possibly use Hand of Freedom (Maybe Hand of Protection as well) to break members out earlier (Haven't tried this yet, but I suspect it may work)

2. Devourer of Souls - Really 1 phase and 3 Spells you need to be concerned with.
Watch your mana on this fight, due to the lower number of physical attacks. Shadow Resist
from another pally or priest is heplful, but not required. I ran with just devotion up.
A. Mirrored Soul - Cast on a random member who is not tanking. All need to stop
dpsing/healing. Anything done to the boss or member is duplicated on the other. Once
he starts attacking normally again, continue the fight.
B.Unleashed Soul - A ton of adds spawn and randomly go after a member (seemed like the
healer always got more than his fare share, but you can not target/kill them, so just
move away and/or continue tank and spank.
C. (Will add name when I get home) Soul - This one does a frontal cone damage where the
head slowly turns in a 90 degree Arc. Do not be in front of him when he does this. The
entire party needs to be behind him when he is casting this.

Pit of Saron

A lot of the trash pulls have multiple casters that are not silenced by avenger's shield, so the pulls are a little painful to round them all up into your concencrate. Holy Wrath is very useful (Everything is undead in here), as well as Turn Evil. After making your way to boss number two, be ready to be ambushed from above as you get close to the second boss.
Forgemaster Garfrost - On the pull, pull the boss and all of his adds, they are all linked. Once everything is rounded up, aoe the adds down, then just concentrate on the boss. He will randomly target a non tank target and throw a rock at them. They need to move obviously. Every so often he will go away to reforge his weapon. Have all members duck behind a rock to break LOS from boss to drop the debuff that is on you. Once it is cleared, go back and tank and spank the boss. If someone if having trouble keeping their health up, have them duck behind a boulder as needed. At 66% he will get a frontal cone attack, so keep the boss facing away from the party. At 33% he gets another spell that will kill members after like 15 secs or so. Thus he needs to be burned down quickly.
Ick and Krick - Kill all of the adds near him before the pull. They will pat around and eventually get in on the fight if you do not. He was pretty easy honestly. Really only three things to worry about.
1. Throws pools of poison around. Move and don't stand in them.
2. Poison Nova. Slow cast time. Everyone needs to run away from him. A blast nova type
spell that hurts if it hits anyone.
3. He targets individuals and chases them around. Like any other target and chase
mechanic. Usually run around the outside of the fighting area and you will be fine.
Scourgelord Tyrannus - This fight was pretty straight forward. The dragon shoots ice
and frost at you, don't get hit, don't stand in it. One of the sites, talks about the
boss targeting an individual and their dps is reflected back on the member, so stop
dpsing. He also grows and enrages, so the tank needs to kite him around. The ice patches
slow him, so run around the outside part of the icepatches. Honestly, we just really
tanked and spanked him pretty much in place. Our dps was around 3-4k a dpser with my gear
being pretty good, so take that as you will.

Halls of Reflection - I honestly found this place to be the easiest of the three dungeons once you learn one thing. LOS the first group of 8 waves before the first two bosses. The areas where the first two bosses are have little nooks behind them. Have the entire party up in there and tucked into one little corner. Have the tank go out for a sec to grab intial agro...then back into the corner. AOE until they are dead....rinse repeat 4 times, then pull the boss. Kill boss. Go to the other side. Repeat. 2/3 dungeon down. I never once had agro issues. Honestly the first two bosses did do a few little things like fear, but they pretty much were tank and spank and straight forward. The big trash adds afterwards, consencrate, but save Holy wrath until the little mirror image adds come and holy wrath, all are on you and then aoe/dps them down. Extremely easy tank fight knowing those couple few things up to that point. The Lich King gauntlet, have your group tight together, as the little adds come, grab agro on the first few, once all little guys are there, holy wrath, consencrate and dps them down, once the bigger adds come, you should have plenty of abilities to keep them on you. Only on the final wave, does it get even remotely challenging to hold agro on group. If need be save shield wall for that final group of big adds, and enjoy the fight.
Last edited by Cheroz on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheroz

Re: Quick and Dirty on the [H] Halls Bosses of ICC

Postby Arathieu » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:49 am

Halls of Reflection

1. Falric / Marwyn:

- Both bosses have several waves of adds (5 each i believe it was) that will spawn from the groups you see around the room.
- Falric will become active after the 1st 5, Marwyn after 2nd 5.
- The adds can be tricky, especially because we don't have spell reflect
- Size of waves varies, but can include up to 1 priest (can heal), 2 melee DPS, 2 range caster DPS and 1 range physical DPS (6 adds total)
- They spawn from all around, so GOOD LUCK grouping up the casters in the same spot
- The trick? Get everyone in the group to go behind either boss into the nook. You can LoS and have the waves come right to you in a nice AoE-able group.

Falric Notes:

The fight against the dead captain is mostly about quick dispelling of magic debuffs. Impending Despair will stun its target after 3 seconds if not removed, and Quivering Strike will frequently drop the tank's dodge by 20%. In addition, Defiling Horror will send the entire party fleeing in horror for 4 seconds, while taking damage, and Falric's Hopelessness aura will reduce all players' damage and healing done by 20% (Heroic: 40%).

Falric Skills:

Hopelessness - Reduces all damage and healing done by players by 20%.
Impending Despair - Causes Despair Stricken, stunning the target for 6 seconds, if not removed after 6 seconds. Magic effect.
Defiling Horror - Inflicts 4,000 Shadow damage every 1 second for 4 seconds, and sends all players fleeing in horror. Falric will not attack while the Horror lasts.
Quivering Strike - Inflicts 100% normal melee damage and reduces the target's chance to dodge by 20% for 5 seconds. The dodge reduction component is a magic effect.

- That covers everything. He wasn't hard. Tremor does not prevent the fear, as it is a horror effect. Tank him wherever you want.

Marwyn Notes:

As Falric is more of a warrior-type of boss, Marwyn is similar to a death knight. He uses Obliterate frequently, and focuses on corruption attacks. He will occasionally spawn Well of Corruption underneath a player, which causes Corrupted Flesh, inflicting a Corrupted Touch DoT on its target. He will also cast a dangerous debuff called Shared Suffering which deals damage to a single player, though if dispelled the damage will be dealt to all players.

Marwyn Skills:

Obliterate - Inflicts 18,000 Physical damage, mitigated by armor.
Shared Suffering - Inflicts 4,000 Shadow damage every 3 seconds for 12 seconds. If dispelled, splits the remaining damage equally between all players. Magic effect.
Well of Corruption - Causes Corrupted Touch every 2 seconds, increasing Shadow damage taken by 30%, stacking. Affects only players in the well. Lasts 8 seconds.
Corrupted Flesh - Reduces maximum health by 25% for 8 seconds.

- This guy was even easier. Nothing special to note. Tank him wherever you want.

Yes, i got those notes from wowhead. Why reinvent the wheel?

2. Wrath of the Lich King

Soon after defeating Falric and Marwyn, players will find Jaina/Sylvanas locked in combat with the Lich King, with the latter clearly winning. Moments before your leader dies, she will freeze the Lich King in place and urge you to run and try to escape.

The gauntlet event consists of the party killing waves of undead, while Jaina/Sylvanas break 4 walls of ice. Each ice wall is broken as soon as the current wave of Scourge minions dies. The time bomb in this event is the Lich King, who slowly catches up with the group; if he reaches Jaina/Sylvanas, he will kill her and then proceed to annihilate the entire party. Fortunately he is surrounded by the Remorseless Winter aura, which reduces his (and players?) movement speed by 75%.

Every time Jaina/Sylvanas break an ice wall, the Lich King summons more minions than he did in the previous wave.

- The gauntlet was a joke, but our gear was decent, so may be more challenging for others i guess. Adds are the following:

Raging Ghoul: Normal melee mob. Low life, comes in groups of ~8, use Holy Wrath and they will be dead before stun expires usually. These come at the start of each wall of ice phase. I believe 2 groups came at the 4th wall, 1 at start and 1 ~30 seconds in.

Risen Witch Doctor: Caster, probably heals but i didn't specifically notice. I think there was 1 in the 1st Wall phase, 2 in the 2nd, 3 in the 3rd and 4 in the 4th.

Abomination: Cleaves, doesn't come till 2nd wave, 1 in 2nd, 2 in 3rd, 3 in 4th.

The 1st - 3rd waves all basically spawn at the start. The 4th wave spawns more mobs about ~30 seconds in, so have your group stand behind you and be ready with Captain America / Taunts if needed.

After the 4th wall you reach the end of the path, with nowhere to go, and the LK moving towards you. What will happen? Well.....i guess you will have to get there and see!

DUN DUN DUN.
Arathieu

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:15 am

I finished Pit of Saron and Halls of Reflection on heroic by using the LFG group. Honestly, Pit of Saron was the easier of the three instances, but Halls of Reflection was actually entertaining and mildly difficult. The Lich King gauntlet was easy but the first boss section was chaotic and felt very much like a heroic to me.

You definitely have to pay attention on the waves of mobs in Halls of Reflection. I felt like Righteous Defense was always on cooldown. Pally tanks will really shine here due to our AoE moves. We have a lot of them and you will use all of them.

The Forge of Souls definitely has a larger aggro range than I've been used to. The trash is more annoying in Forge of Souls than the bosses. Big packs difficult to round up.

I found these heroics to be a complete blast. I can only hope that ICC will be as cool. I love the story line in the heroics, the sense of doing something epic, and hanging out with Jaina is pretty dang cool. Except for her blonde hair, I hate the blonde hair.

I did get bugged when I completed the Lich King gauntlet. I couldn't step onto the ship that picks you up. I was instantly DC'ed when I tried.
Doogiehowser

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:41 am

It should be noted that standing too close to the Lich King while he chases you will cause you to take some 4k damage every couple of seconds. I couldn't say about a movement speed decrease.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Thornir » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 am

Halls of Reflection:

Mages hit hard. Priests have a healing ability thing, i forget exactly. Mercs Stunlcok and Hunters Freeze Trap. LoS the mobs around a corner. ( Where the bosses are) Makes the whole thing easier.

For Hopelessness: it stacks if the fight goes on long enough. (to 20%, 40% and 60%, haven't done heroic).
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:45 am

The heal spell the priests cast is called Dark Mending, I believe. Also, the Mercs stack a poison debuff that hits really hard if you let it get to 5. Something like 6k ticks.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Hokahey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 am

I got disconnected during the gauntlet event, as well.

Halls of Reflection was the only place I felt genuinely challenged as a tank, really. The other 2 instances had a couple of tough spots, but nothing that was mind blowing hard. Once you figure out the generic behaviors of the trash pulls (i.e. which mobs stand in place and cast), its pretty standard stuff. A couple of the pulls reminded me of MgT (lots of casters) but the casters weren't of the "insta-gib your party" variety, more of the "randomly target someone and try in vain to tickle them to death" type. Either that, or the healer I ran with was just that damn good.

Devourer was a boss that was a serious threat for me, even then mostly because of the horrible things he did to my party, not for what he was doing to me. Tyrannus also tough, for precisely the same reason.

The other bosses were generally speed bumps in the 1st 2 instances. The actual bosses in HoR aren't all that threatening or challenging for the tank, but their waves of adds are pretty damn tough. The mobs spawning in each group come from different spots in the room, and come in several flavors: Mage, Priest, Rogue, Warrior, and Hunter.

The tough part for me was the way they tended to arrive in 1s and 2s. I can see why my group was using the strat they were (tucked in the corner in the room on the left hand side as you enter), but I disliked since the mobs tended to cling to the wall and cut right around the corner, leaving them immediately on top of the party, and usually getting a swing or 2 off on someone before they got stuck on me.

I'm thinking of maybe sticking in the original entry way, where I can see and move to the mobs from a greater distance and have more time to react to them as they approach. The LoS strat was just too chaotic.
Hokahey

Postby Dianora » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 am

Doogiehowser wrote:I did get bugged when I completed the Lich King gauntlet. I couldn't step onto the ship that picks you up. I was instantly DC'ed when I tried.

I did this after we did our ToTC25 and ICC25 (only managed to get the first boss down). It was late, and we ran it minus any foreknowledge. The Hall of Reflection is actually fun, took us a while to figure out to LoS the trash (I found the trash more difficult than the boss). The Liche King Gauntlet run is actually demanding, and the ladder boss killed all of us.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Dianora » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 am

Thornir wrote:Halls of Reflection:

Mages hit hard. Priests have a healing ability thing, i forget exactly. Mercs Stunlcok and Hunters Freeze Trap. LoS the mobs around a corner. ( Where the bosses are) Makes the whole thing easier.

For Hopelessness: it stacks if the fight goes on long enough. (to 20%, 40% and 60%, haven't done heroic).

The priest also cast fear if left alone. Still, my priority kill order is mage -> priest -> rogue -> hunter -> warrior.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Ezharon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Halls of Reflection : use Holy Wrath too when available it'll make your life easier. Stick to priority kill (for us it was Healer -> Mage -> Rogue -> Hunt -> Warrior). :wink:
Loatr Tankadin since patch 1.9
Ezharon

Postby Draslin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

I gave this a shot last night on my DK Tank (Drazlin/Garrosh). Being geared in t9, with the ilevel 245 polearm from ony, and as a frost tank, I was unable to pull this off. My healer was a top-10 gscore on the server holy priest, and a very good/geared ret pally and arcane mage. Our last spot was filled with a fairly geared fury warrior.

We used the strat to pull them all into the cubbies behind the boss and AoE them. I had an easy enough time getting the mobs where I wanted them, but we were unable to get past the fourth or fifth wave. The big problem we were having was that every mob was throwing CC at the healer. After a certain number of mobs were spawning, he couldn't get heals off. Nothing was getting through.

I don't know if we were doing something wrong, but between DND and Howling Blast, I was having a pretty easy time getting threat and maintaining it. After 7 or 8 wipes, including one try with two heals, we called it for raid time.

We're going back for another bite at the apple - this time I'm bringing my Pally Tank (Draslin/Garrosh) which is better geared and, overall, easier to tank on (thanks almost entirely to righteous defense).

Has anyone else had this problem of MASSIVE CC's hitting heals? I'm wondering if maybe something was bugged - literally everything was breaking target to shield slam/gouge/counterspell/that fear thing our priest...

Thanks! Having a heroic that's hard is a good thing, though I shudder to think what this might be like for a lesser-geared squad.

Draslin
Draslin

Postby Hokahey » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:52 pm

I tried just staying in the hallway last night.

1st attempt= wipe.

I didn't know there were doors that closed in the hallway during the encounter. The healer and ranged DPS were on the other side of the doors.

2nd attempt= success.

The doors leave only about 20 yds (if that) to the main room, which kind of hampered my idea (that the ranged mobs would have to close range to get to the healer, and be in easy range of me as a result). Still, I had less issues of mobs running amuck over the DPS and healer.

I liked it better than the cubby strat, though it was still frantic. I had bizarre threat issues on the trash. I'm unsure if it was something going on in the group (i.e. someone using Distracting Shot, etc.), or if the trash has an abnormal aggro table, but it seemed like I'd lose threat quickly to even modest DPS (2.5k). This was also true during the "flee the Lich King" event. The bosses and the general and shadows, on the other hand, I had no problems holding threat on at all.

Any ideas as to what the issue may be, aside from "l2p"? Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
Hokahey

Postby GothicPL » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Draslin wrote:Has anyone else had this problem of MASSIVE CC's hitting heals? I'm wondering if maybe something was bugged - literally everything was breaking target to shield slam/gouge/counterspell/that fear thing our priest...

This is the most random element in this event. Add the hunter trap to the list. A perfect CC chain on the healer can indeed wipe you. Ways to mitigate this:
- Healer should be using a PvP trinket (I use Wintergrasp one with haste on my resto shaman),
- Tremor Totem/Fear Ward,
- Concentration Aura,
- stun/silence mobs in the beginning of the pulls,
- what helped me the most, have healer move out of the way once all mobs are on the tank. This way melee silence abilities will not hurt him/her.

Even with all of the above, it's challenging. Handle it! :D
GothicPL

Postby rampage2922000 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:28 am

Healing HoR, a good way to stay out of CC for me (tree heals) was to run to other side of corner once tank has aggro and just heal and hide, heal and hide... pretty easy. Only problem I ever had was attempted tanking it, kill order priest>mage>rogue>hunt>leftover... hunt was at half health before priest and mage... what is up with DPS? seems like DPS currently dont have a clue on kill order, cc, or anything like that. I guess so used to just tank and spank, big group aoe that they dont know how? Always seem to have someone not attacking the kill order >.<
rampage2922000

Postby srpnt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:25 pm

On my pally I was having issues with wipes here until I changed my positioning very slightly after picking up agro.

Everyone hides in the corner and I consecrate in the middle for the pickup, then use HotR and judge Seal of Cleave to get some snap agro on the melee and overcome any HoTs the healer has ticking. Once I've established agro, I leave most of the group in the corner and back away so I'm facing the entrance to the alcove with my back to the opposite wall. This seems to keep most of the AOE on me.

I also save Holy Wrath, bubble wall and DS for those moments when most of the party is down in the yellow, to give the healer a chance to catch a breath.
srpnt

Next

Return to General Strats