Remove Advertisements

Trial of the Champion

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Trial of the Champion

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:02 am

A very minor thing, but I found on my mage last night that Paletress' Renew cast on herself or the memory can be dispelled/purged/spellstolen (was nice having the boss healing me, hehe).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flipthebird » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 am

Also, as a mage, you can blink out of Eadric's hammer stun (if there's no dispeller) and throw it back at him.

That's kewl to know about the spellsteal renew...i'm gonna try that tonight
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:39 pm

I discovered yet another fun thing for mages running this earlier in the week: the Mage in the first fight casts a Haste spell on herself, stealing it gives you a huge boost (found it out after DBM updated their announces for the instance). Fun fun.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby agetro » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:03 am

Are there any new hints or tactics for doing this Heroic Instance?

I had a hard time trying to keep aggro on myself last night. We were doing the mage, rogue, and i think shaman. Going left to right, i went in from the left throwing shield and dropping cc in the middle of them. After we got pushed back by one of them, things got crazy they all went all over the place. Healer was constantly being attacked.
agetro

Postby Belloc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 am

There really aren't any aggro tips that are specific to the first encounter. It's just a 3 target pull, really. If you're having trouble with ranged mobs, drag the melee mob on top of them so that your aoes are hitting them. Use Avenging Wrath when you have a good opportunity to hit them all. Make sure you have your weapon equipped instead of the lance.

Your DPS should be focusing your target at all times, which means that no one should be pulling aggro on the other mobs.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:40 pm

im not sure why everyone is doing it the hard way,

everysingle time i have ran this instance, both reg and hero, you joust the 3 sets of underlings, joust the 3 champion (only hard part is keeping them down) and after jousting, let the champions run to the back. we always let them run, pop out a fishfeast, get mana and hp back up and then run in and whoop ass.

I did heroic ToC today before work, Prot Warrior tank, Sham hlr, my hunter, a rogue and a DK,
had the belf mage, undead rogue and tuaren shaman.

i was only death in entire thinge and that was because i had all 3 champions charge me at once during jousting. (horse died and then i got trampled was close to center at that time :( ) we didnt lose a single person teh rest of the instance. during reg fight we took rogue shaman then mage , and we had the paladin boss (easiest boss in entire repitore lol)

all told entire run took a shade under 25 min

im not sure why ppl are trying tio aggro the champions RIGHT after the jousting, when in all of the times ive doen it, they will back off and you can start fighting them when you want to.

or am i the only person that has had this happen?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:33 pm

bldavis wrote:im not sure why ppl are trying tio aggro the champions RIGHT after the jousting, when in all of the times ive doen it, they will back off and you can start fighting them when you want to.

They used to not do that. Used to go right from jousting to the boss fight proper.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Flex wrote:
bldavis wrote:im not sure why ppl are trying tio aggro the champions RIGHT after the jousting, when in all of the times ive doen it, they will back off and you can start fighting them when you want to.

They used to not do that. Used to go right from jousting to the boss fight proper.

ok that does explain it, i was 73 when the tournament came out and it was close to 2 months before i finally made it into ToC

sorry if i offended anyone, i didnt know it was any other way :oops:

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nothan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Agetro wrote:Are there any new hints or tactics for doing this Heroic Instance?

I had a hard time trying to keep aggro on myself last night. We were doing the mage, rogue, and i think shaman. Going left to right, i went in from the left throwing shield and dropping cc in the middle of them. After we got pushed back by one of them, things got crazy they all went all over the place. Healer was constantly being attacked.

For faction champions:

I like to throw Avenger’s Shield hitting the left most target first so it’ll hit all 3. After that I will run in drop a consecrate, HotR when they are close, Holy Shield, then tab target and hit another one with SoR, tab again, Judgement. Then I just hit anything that comes up first while constantly tabbing hitting another target with some kind of skill. This has always worked for me very well. If you have the mage or hunter add, after you AS on the pull, do a round of your skills, target the ranged mage/hunter and Hand of Reckoning them periodically to keep agro off the healer. You don’t need to have all 3 on you.

Priestess:

Just a lot of random damage when she nukes people…can’t really control that and there could be a lot of damage on you when you have that bleed and the fear and a holy fire on you all at once. Tougher fight.

Paladin:

Very easy, cleanse whoever he stuns because you should have a gigantic lead in threat as it is a stand still tank and spank.

Black Knight:

Only the 2nd phase is hard for me because I cannot for the life of me keep all the ghouls on me, I’ll have them for like 5 seconds, then 3-4 of them run off and beat on a healer or something else. If anyone has tips on how to keep them all on me that would be cool :P

The 3rd phase, I start off with a taunt, hit him with a Judgement, SoR, Holy Shield, then I pop my trinkets + Divine Protection + Gift of the Naaru. Usually I never require a single heal giving the healer an easy time to heal the party instead.
Nothan

Postby Tchenobog » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm

There is nothing preventing your healer from coming over and giving the black knight a hug for this phase, is there? No cleave, etc.. So.. You shouldn't be chasing mobs around, they should all be standing around your healer taking consecrate ticks anyway, because your healer is standing near you. Extra win for you, and extra win for your team when you look 'le pro. Solid threat to commence some kiting for that worthless yellow popup that the rogue is going to screw you out of anyway.

Iff'n you ain't got no healer with no sense, you may find the best option is to precast holy shield (ghouls will eat up the charges in ~4 seconds so you'll get another one pretty quick, drop a consecrate right about when 3-4 ghouls have spawned, ... wait for it... judge black knight... wait for it.... HOLY WRATH OMG OMG OMG and drop a new consecrate. No ghouls getting away from you now... Feel free to kite a bit, but really you should just /yell I'M THE BEST... AROUND... NOBODY'S EVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN...

OMG you lost a ghoul during kiting.. it's going for the healer... omg wipe it... no wait... you BoP him... they all come back... the healer gets all starry eyed and starts calling you Mr. Wind Beneath My Wings... Win.

Then of course you pop a divine guardian for the 3rd phase, totally trivializing the multitarget healing problem and the healer literally breaks down into tears and throws her undoubtedly hot Belf priesty self at your.. Uh.. Spiked.. Deathdealer...(s)... Snicker.
Tchenobog

Postby Belloc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Positioning the healer (or the entire party, as is often suggested) near the tank in phase 2 carries with it some problems. For instance, the ghouls in phase 2 tend to blow up at random.

A healer standing near the tank may not notice that a ghoul is about to blow up right next to them. The damage is healable, but so is the damage from ghouls running around randomly.

Conclusion: It doesn't really matter where you stand. There are issues with every strategy and position. Either heal through the random party damage, heal through the explosion damage, or kill the adds/boss fast enough that it doesn't make a difference. It's all the same, really.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Tchenobog wrote: the healer literally breaks down into tears and throws her undoubtedly hot Belf priesty self at your.. Uh.. Spiked.. Deathdealer...(s)... Snicker.

wow someone actrually made me want to be a horde :shock:

anyway :oops:

Strat for BK
now that i have hit 79, and tanked this on reg (should be 80 tomorrow!)
i can say wat works for me,
granted this is on reg not hero but it should work on hero too if you (the tank) is halfay intelligent and have a healer that listens and trusts you,

wat i do is tank and spank p1, have the ENTIRE party run in to the BK for one FULL cons when ghouls spawn,(yes the hunters will not like you, but tough) when they spawn pop AW, AS, basically ANY AoE aggro you have by the time the cons is off, the ghouls should be yours, as long as you dont do wat i did last night and forget to put up RF (after a wipe on p2, after which we tried this strat!) i realized i lost ghouls(and was a fail tank at that point :oops: ) hlr came back to me, 2 ticks later of cons had all the ghouls and they didnt move (cept one that the hunter did distracting shot on dam huntard lol) when BK goes down, just start kiting ghouls if you dont weanna eat the explodes they stop to cast explode and you should be out of range by the end of casting, however if you do eat them, just stay put!

i hope this helps!

bldavis

Postby Tchenobog » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 am

Belloc,

For shizzle, except I usually don't expect my healer to remain stationary. They're supposed to hug me for the wrath and consecrate, and then get out of the inevitable desecrated ground anyway. Once the ghouls are stuck on me, they can usually be AOE'd or the boss killed before they (more than 1 or 2) get loose.
Tchenobog

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:44 am

Tchenobog wrote:Belloc,

For shizzle, except I usually don't expect my healer to remain stationary. They're supposed to hug me for the wrath and consecrate, and then get out of the inevitable desecrated ground anyway. Once the ghouls are stuck on me, they can usually be AOE'd or the boss killed before they (more than 1 or 2) get loose.

I was considering how skilled the average pug is. Of course a proper group would have no problem with the strat :P
Belloc

Postby guillex » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:03 am

Tchenobog wrote:There is nothing preventing your healer from coming over and giving the black knight a hug for this phase, is there? No cleave, etc.. So.. You shouldn't be chasing mobs around, they should all be standing around your healer taking consecrate ticks anyway, because your healer is standing near you. Extra win for you, and extra win for your team when you look 'le pro. Solid threat to commence some kiting for that worthless yellow popup that the rogue is going to screw you out of anyway.

Iff'n you ain't got no healer with no sense, you may find the best option is to precast holy shield (ghouls will eat up the charges in ~4 seconds so you'll get another one pretty quick, drop a consecrate right about when 3-4 ghouls have spawned, ... wait for it... judge black knight... wait for it.... HOLY WRATH OMG OMG OMG and drop a new consecrate. No ghouls getting away from you now... Feel free to kite a bit, but really you should just /yell I'M THE BEST... AROUND... NOBODY'S EVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN...

OMG you lost a ghoul during kiting.. it's going for the healer... omg wipe it... no wait... you BoP him... they all come back... the healer gets all starry eyed and starts calling you Mr. Wind Beneath My Wings... Win.

Then of course you pop a divine guardian for the 3rd phase, totally trivializing the multitarget healing problem and the healer literally breaks down into tears and throws her undoubtedly hot Belf priesty self at your.. Uh.. Spiked.. Deathdealer...(s)... Snicker.

You made me throw up in my mouth a little. No lie.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats