Trial of the Champion semi-bugged

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Trial of the Champion semi-bugged

Postby Sarutankah » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:39 pm

We just zone out on dismount immediately, it's fine for now but I think it needs to be changed. The champions definately try to kill the last aggro target straight up so it's nigh on impossible to pick em up unless you get em grouped up in the middle.

I also wanted to add that I got crit for 13.2k by Eadric despite showing as uncrit in Tankadin.

I wasn't under effects of the light spell or HOJ so have no idea what was up.
Sarutankah

Postby Rapturion » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi guys, long time lurker, relatively new poster. Thought I'd give some thoughts on the new instance, and a couple of tricks I've learnt.

Faction Champions

Using Bartender, I set up a bar to show in a non-essential spot on the screen, and adjusted it to show whilst controlling a pet (same process for the EZ-mode Malygos macro as well). I then dropped my tank spec icon from the default Blizz Equipment Manager icon on to the Bartender bar, and just hit that as the last champion is about to drop.

I actually didn't realise there was a threat table for my first normal run or so, then figured out there was when I was the first to charge in :). I tend to assign the healer and one squishy party member to charge/target the last kill target, the two most durable dps to take the 2nd kill target, and I initially focus the first kill target. I'll try to change targets and charge occasionally too, just to spread some hate around.

In terms of kill order, I tend to go with the following (NB: there are a few IF statements, but as a general rule):
1. Rogue
2. Shaman
3. Warrior
4. Hunter
5. Mage

Eadric/Palatress

My gear is at a level where I can tank Naxx 25/Uld 10 (first half), and I didn't have a problem with picking up all three trash packs on normal mode. Working L > R (or vice versa), consecrate first pack > frisbee second pack > consecrate third pack and stay put.

For heroic mode, CC is optional, kill order I tend to go with is caster (Priestess?) > Paladin > Monk.

Eadric/Palatress agro as soon as the last trash mob dies, so I recommend running from your spot and dropping a consecrate on the boss' spot when the last mob(s) are down to about 20% HP.

Boss encounter: Eadric is trivial, tank and spank with a Yogg ‘turn away from me’ mechanic.

Palatress is slightly more time consuming. Tell your DPS not to bother burning any cooldowns/high output abilities until she summons the nightmare vision (this is unavoidable). Palatress has becomes immune during this phase, and all DPS should attack the vision. You will be stunned while she summons the vision, and you have a short window of time to pick up the add – so move quick.

The combination of Old Wounds, Waking Nightmare plus unavoidable melee damage from the boss while being feared can add up, so any proactive healing/HoTs leading up to this phase help. Burning your cooldowns here can help.

Once the vision goes down, its just a straight tank and spank on Palatress.

Black Knight

Phase 1: Just focus the boss, and don’t worry too much about the add. He bounces around but doesn’t hurt that much. He will explode the add when he dies.

Phase 2: I have my enemy name plates on, and wait about 2 seconds after he resurrects to see where he is summoning his adds. Get in the largest group of them, and pop Holy Wrath. Taunt/Frisbee any stragglers. Don’t let them blow up near the healer or squishy DPS.

Phase 3: Good time to pop your cooldowns, as he puts a stacking debuff on you that increases damage taken.
Rapturion

Postby Viycktor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Rapturion wrote:Eadric/Palatress

Palatress is slightly more time consuming. Tell your DPS not to bother burning any cooldowns/high output abilities until she summons the nightmare vision (this is unavoidable). Palatress has becomes immune during this phase, and all DPS should attack the vision. You will be stunned while she summons the vision, and you have a short window of time to pick up the add – so move quick.

The combination of Old Wounds, Waking Nightmare plus unavoidable melee damage from the boss while being feared can add up, so any proactive healing/HoTs leading up to this phase help. Burning your cooldowns here can help.

Once the vision goes down, its just a straight tank and spank on Palatress.

The only thing I'd add to this is that Paletress can be interrupted while she is immune to damage.

This can be a big help to reduce overall party damage or keep her from healing (though she casts fast). I discovered this while tanking her on heroic with my not-so-geared DK. We had a shaman healing so he would toss out random interrupts on her as well, really reduces the overall damage.

Also, you can cleanse nearly all of the dangerous non-physical damage the Black Knight throws at you in phase 1 and 2. Allows your healer to do more dps. :P
Viycktor

Postby Rapturion » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 pm

I didn't know that re Palatress being stunnable and BK dmg being cleansable during Ph1 and Ph2 Viyck, thanks a bunch!
Rapturion

Postby Viycktor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Rapturion wrote:I didn't know that re Palatress being stunnable and BK dmg being cleansable during Ph1 and Ph2 Viyck, thanks a bunch!

Paletress being *interruptable* while shielded is something I CANNOT stress enough. Stuns and silences won't work, but anything with an interrupt component (which many stuns and silences now have) like HoJ, mind freeze, pummel, shield bash(slam?), wind shear (the new shaman interrupt), kick, silencing shot (I think), etc... This fight is immensely easier if you have a rouge/DK/shaman/fury warrior with a low CD interrupt that are capable of switching targets every 10 seconds or so to toss out an interrupt.

I've found the one thing to wipe my groups on Paletress is the random cast holy fires (cleansable) combined with the random cast direct damage spell from Paletress combined with a fear. The renews can be dpsed through, spell stolen (yes, our mage is that awesome), purged, or reduced in effectiveness by a dps warrior or mm hunter (or interrupted if there are low enough CD interrupts)... but they just prolong a fight that is likely giving your healer grey hairs (unless it's a druid).

On my Paladin, *I* rarely die from these, but a dps or healer may if I'm slow with divine sacrifice, HoS, or LoH. My DK (whos tank gear still has some blues) *has* died from a combination of all put together with AMS on CD.

Tanking on my Paladin, with our 30-60s interrupt I just try to save it for renews cast by Paletress and just try to cleanse the holy fire ASAP... or hit her if she's casting at the healer.
Viycktor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:27 pm

My favourite bug so far: Black Knight, ghouls are mostly down, he just died the second time, he pops up in spectral form, and then-- what the hell, Zultore?

The damn Troll Hunter spawned halfway through the Black Knight and killed us all.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby tuberon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:09 am

KysenMurrin wrote:My favourite bug so far: Black Knight, ghouls are mostly down, he just died the second time, he pops up in spectral form, and then-- what the hell, Zultore?

The damn Troll Hunter spawned halfway through the Black Knight and killed us all.

Being trampled was merely a setback.
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Viycktor wrote: .. Anyway, the prot warrior (for me it was the Orc) goes all WWE on me and picks me up and tosses me/charges/piledriver combo thing he does... and I go right through the floor.

funniest dam thing ive read all night!
and a pretty good description!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Previous

Return to General Strats