Remove Advertisements

Soloing Onyxia at 70

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Soloing Onyxia at 70

Postby Leuthas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 pm

[AT LEVEL 70]

I know that it has been done, atleast on my server, by a Paladin... I do not know what gear, or what spec, however. I am interested in soloing Ony just so, well, so I can say that I did. I am curious if anyone here has attempted it, and if they have advice?

In my last attempt on her, I got to her flight phase, but after that I just died pretty quick from her fireball and the whelps nipping away at me. Although, in my attempts on her I have been a protadin, using fire aura, SoW, JoW, RF, BoSanc and concentrating on dpsing her down. I think that there was my main mistake.... should I go with SoL and JoL - and just sit there for hours and wait? Is that the way to do it?

Also, what spec should I take? I prefer prot over all others, but would holy be better fit to solo Ony? What stats should I be looking for (fire resist of course)?

(*and off-note for anyone interested: The Twin Emps in AQ40 can be killed (100% hp to 0) while they are being tanked at the same spot. Their Heals can be out-DPSed. I lead a 30-man on them, with about 24 dps.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Try it as ret; as prot, you're unlikely to be able to mitigate her attacks enough, whereas Ret should let you keep yourself healed with instant FoL procs.
Kelaan

Postby Leuthas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm

As Ret? In Prot gear or must I invest in a whole Ret set?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Vindicated » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 am

The holy that soloed her in bc was wearing a mix of T6 and vengeful gear.
Vindicated

Postby Leuthas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:14 am

Well T6 isn't a problem, I got a bunch of that, but you won't catch me in PvP enough to get Vengful gear... So no fire resist junk? Or just enchants?

I am going tmake the attempt in about a week, After I get myself some fire resist enchants and I still need to look into respeccing for the fight.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby xstrykr » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:20 am

Fire Resist Aura should be sufficient enough at that level, maybe a fire resistance potion would help too. Don't think you'd need too much more past that.
xstrykr

Postby Leuthas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 am

I will be doing Onyxia tomorrow. I'll be soloing it but an 80 druid will be hiding in the corner in case the Stormrage helm drops... so it will still be a solo just with some audience.

First attempt I'll be using full tanking gear with a fire resist ring, FR pot and of course FR aura. I'll stay away from using any spells other then Holy Shield and JoL during phase 1. Phase 2... when she flies i'll be using HotR and JoL. Phase 3 I'll just do as in phase 1.

Does phase 3 start at a certain hp% or is it timed? I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby sleku » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 am

http://www.wowwiki.com/Onyxia_(tactics)#Combat_strategy

1st paragraph - 65% on p2, 40% on p3 :)
sleku

Re: Soloing Onyxia at 70

Postby Leuthas » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I just took her down to 13k hp, then unfortunately died. My problem I think is that I concentrated on whelps too much, where I should have been dpsing Ony. I'll try again when it resets.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Your problem is that you're level 70.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Leuthas » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:10 am

Panzerdin wrote:Your problem is that you're level 70.

Very constructive remark! Why should I bother to do something few have done when I can just do something people do everyday?

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 am

Leuthas wrote:I just took her down to 13k hp, then unfortunately died. My problem I think is that I concentrated on whelps too much, where I should have been dpsing Ony. I'll try again when it resets.

I've only soloed her at 80, but this is how I approach the whelps.
Less than 4 I ignore them, more and I'll switch and HotR them until they're dead, then I go back to Ony.
If for some reason I haven't hit Ony recently I'll smack a whelp to refresh the duration of Divine Plea.
I use holy shield while I have whelps on me and sufficient mana. I almost never consecrate while soloing Ony unless I have > 60% mana and near full HP.

Bubble wall deep breaths too.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby amh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 am

Leuthas wrote:I just took her down to 13k hp, then unfortunately died. My problem I think is that I concentrated on whelps too much, where I should have been dpsing Ony. I'll try again when it resets.

How good is your selection of tank-gear? If you can put together a set that's closing in on passive uncrushable , I think it should be very doable as protection at level 70. The reason I mention passive uncrush is that you're most likely going to be standing hip-deep in whelps most of the fight to keep your mana up (lots of Holy Light going on).
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Leuthas » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:57 pm

amh wrote:

How good is your selection of tank-gear? If you can put together a set that's closing in on passive uncrushable , I think it should be very doable as protection at level 70. The reason I mention passive uncrush is that you're most likely going to be standing hip-deep in whelps most of the fight to keep your mana up (lots of Holy Light going on).

Well, essentially with my gear the only pre-Sunwell upgrade for me at that point in time was the Bulwark of Azzinoth. My avoidance was gradually nearing passive uncrushable, however deciding to get Wrath put a dent in my plans.

Now Onyxia is cake.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeah, just now I noticed the date-tag.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to General Strats