Glory of hero achievment was it well set up by blizzard.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Glory of hero achievment was it well set up by blizzard.

Postby tadaka » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm

I have spent some time now trying to get glory of the hero. Many of the achievments are stupid easy some are imho just luck or crazy hard. Many of the "Tricks" to pulling off some of the harder achievments were nurfed in the last patch.

So do you think blizzard should make the easy ones harder, the hard ones easyer, or over all this was a well set up achievment?
tadaka

Postby Dehn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Some were rather frustrating, some were easy.. but most of all, it was a fun challenge..

I'm happy with the difficulty, and i enjoy my red proto
Dehn

Postby tadaka » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Just curious did you get the mount before the last patch nurfed the trick ways for some of the harder achievments?
tadaka

Postby UMIO » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 am

yeah, it was a really good inclusion by blizzard, fits with making wotlk more accesible to less serious players while keeping sum of its difficulty

also remeber that these are meant to be the easiest of the 3 proto drake achivements, theres the naxx 25 and normal ones for the really hardcore
UMIO

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am

I have no problem with these, even though I've only got maybe half of them. Lots of people have them all, which means that it works. It's hard, but it's doable, and it's something to be proud of and show off your red proto with. Seems like it works very well.

On the other hand, don't get me started on the stupidity of some of the holiday achievement stuff. Candy Hearts, Brew of the Month...whoever is in charge of those needs to be fired and replaced.

Btw my idea for "fixing" those is to make each holiday title require only (about) 90% of the achievements - so if you can't get candy, or the rare drop from Horseman, you can still get it. You aren't getting totally screwed by the RNG and losing months of progress. Make the meta require all the titles, just make some wiggle room for the individual holidays.

FWIW I've gotten all of them since I started with Merrymaker, but the Candy Hearts thing and Brew of the Month really push my buttons.
Fedaykin98

Postby Nalyn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 am

Of the Glory of the Hero achievements, the only one I would like to see changed is Less-Rabi, even though I have it, making an achievement totally based on luck, because of his casting speed, latency, and the AI making the decision to try to morph, is dumb, there has got to be a better way they could have done it.
Nalyn

Postby Kelaan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 am

Fedaykin98 wrote:I have no problem with these, even though I've only got maybe half of them. Lots of people have them all, which means that it works. It's hard, but it's doable, and it's something to be proud of and show off your red proto with. Seems like it works very well.

Exactly. None of the achievements seem like something I Cannot Do, but some might require some crazy group coordination and stacking. It's a long-term goal, for me.
Kelaan

Postby Threatco » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Ill be getting mine.

Some luck on Void Dance please.

Some coordination on 5 bronze drake strat please.

Some insane coordination on less-rabi PLEASE!

And most of all, a miracle on watch him die. please.

And that's all I need
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Vanifae » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Nalyn wrote:Of the Glory of the Hero achievements, the only one I would like to see changed is Less-Rabi, even though I have it, making an achievement totally based on luck, because of his casting speed, latency, and the AI making the decision to try to morph, is dumb, there has got to be a better way they could have done it.

Mage lockout makes it pretty easy.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Threatco » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Mage lockout makes it pretty easy.

Doesen't work anymore.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Senador » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:19 am

I like it, and have done them both easy before, and later post nerfs to help others do them. Hardest/Ann ones are:

Make it Count: Due to the mechanics, if you mess up, you are done for the day, similar to the old Shattered Halls timed runs when doing it for attunements. The difference here is that it is not required for your guild to progress.

Less-Rabi: This one is just annoying as hell, luckily he is near a zone out so it's fairly simple to reset him once it's scrubbed up so you can try again.

Lockdown, Void Dance, Dehydration: These are here because they are random based and can only have a chance to see them once a day. When I was doing them with a group it took us close to a month to finish Lockdown/A Void Dance, simply because we had not seen the Void Walker boss in all of that time.

Abuse the Ooze: Simply because most groups don't even realize how to make the slimes you need to kill appear, unlike most of the achievements that you can "Luck Into" this one requires specific strategy.

Voids (Amber, Ruby, Emerald): Just because of the coordination required. This would not be nearly so bad if the average group wouldn't completely and utterly fail at doing it normally let alone with the coordination of having to fight this at a handicap.

The Parties Over: Let me state this now, and I feel its the same with all of these achievements (Less is More, Dedicated Few, Poke in the Eye, etc), requiring people to sit in order to successfully do achievements is annoying, frustrating and agravating. Picking who does and does not sit is not fun, being the person who has to sit is less fun, and having to do this achievement multiple times just due to it's mechanics is worse. Worse, these achievements are usually pretty much exclusive of some of the other achievements the instance has to offer (Quick Demise with 4 people would be a nightmare if it were even possible; Make Quick Werk of him down 2 DPS requires those 4 DPS to be putting out close to 6k DPS; Horsemen is hard enough with 8 people, let alone doing the coordination of bringing them down at the same time, etc). I strongly hope that Ulduar does not have a repeat of these achievements, or at least make them not required for the Meta.
Senador

Postby Seloei » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 am

horseman is quite easily doable with just 10 man/heroics gear if you have competent people there. Doing the Dedicated few is almost like the old naxx was, only still its nerfed as hell.
Less-rabi post fix is still doable but it requires a specific group makeup and major major luck with timing, latency and reaction.

Overall, the Glory of the Hero, post fixes is worth the reward, its not easy enough that any "lol,igotepixirpvpgod" can finish it but it is a sort of a challenge for the rest. All of the achievements except for less-rabi are perfectly doable if you have an inkling of an idea what you are doing. That one itself... is pure random.
Seloei

Postby Frickit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Fedaykin98 wrote:I have no problem with these, even though I've only got maybe half of them. Lots of people have them all, which means that it works. It's hard, but it's doable, and it's something to be proud of and show off your red proto with. Seems like it works very well.

Exactly. None of the achievements seem like something I Cannot Do, but some might require some crazy group coordination and stacking. It's a long-term goal, for me.

Im three away from completing the ach. We have not stacked the group really at all. Some of them were a real pain because of that but we can be proud that we have done most of them the "hard" way, or rather not the easymode way. Less-Rabi is one that I still need and I have gotten him to 0% litteraly one hit away from dead when he transformed. So I am confindent I will have that one very soon. I also need the 20 minute oculus which isnt too bad and I know how to do it.

I think that its something to be proud of considering I spend 99% of my playtime in dungeons, and I think these are equally as impressive as the raid ones, if not moreso. I mean, naxx is easy, less-rabi is not.
It isnt random by the way, your rogue(s) should have imp fan of knives. We were able to interrupt three of his instant casts at the end when it was getting completely hectic and with an ounce more dps we had it. That could easily have been from me with an every man for himself or a better timed wings.

have done almost all achievements with a rogue, dps warrior, holy priest, myself...insert random pug. Rarely have a shaman btw.
Frickit

Postby Viycktor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm digging some of the achievements. But again, some of them don't really fit or seem appropriate to me.

A CoS or VH run with 4 people would be a good achievement as you can START with 4 people and complete it reasonably. A boss in the middle of an instance with multiple other achievements having a 4-person achievement is not nice because you are being asked to kick someone temporarily.

I got a group to do all of the UP achievements in one run. And we haven't gotten enough bronze drakes yet (we have about 8 players who rotate through with me tanking with a few 'pugs' from people we know to fill in when a regular isn't on) to risk zombiefest, but that one looks fun.

The kill X in Y seconds ones are sometimes fun as it often asks your healer to toss out some damage and/or your tank to think about doing more dps... but sometimes feels like to much of a simple gear-check than a trick.

The VH ones suck. For all of my H VH runs (I don't know how many anymore... 10-15?) I've seen the Void boss ONCE and Lavanthor ONCE. I actually forgot there WAS a void boss until someone mentioned it because I only saw it on my first run with a pug. It confused me the other day when I was the only one in my regular heroic group to get lockdown... now I know why. (needless to say the dog dropped some random piece of shard rather than the trinket I wanted)

I like the challenge, but some are just NOT doable unless you stack a group. Less-rabi is the main one I'm thinking about. If we (tankadins) truly get a 10 sec HoJ next patch, then our fury warrior and I can swap off and do it. As it stands long CD HoJ, long CD counterspell, and pummel is all we've got... which means we usually miss one when he's at 20% or so.
Viycktor

Postby Marker » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:36 am

I think it makes sense to have to stack a bit for some of the achievements. Apart from the showoff rewards, there's no "usable" rewards that you will need for any progression stuff, to my knowledge.

Acheivements are there to to provide an extra challenge and another reason to run the same instance yet again. Some of them should be ridiculously hard and require a wastly overgeared and optimized group with pristine timing and coordination, simply because that's a nice way to keep achievements people can strive for. After all, all the achievements are there as a timesink. If those that require the mentioned requirements should be part of the Glory of the hero achievement could be discussed. And someway all of them should be possible for all groups, so there can't be more than 4 "hardcode" class requirements. But then again, many of them might only need people to be better geared to make it, full iLevel 213 might not be enough.

The easiest way Blizz can birefly revive some of the content is to provide some new achievements to make people think out of the box for known encounters.
Marker

Next

Return to General Strats