Less-Rabi

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Less-Rabi

Postby Threatco » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 am

Defeat Moorabi in Gundrak on Heroic Difficulty while preventing him from transforming into a mammoth at any point during the encounter.

So I heard they fixed this. But I don't have a definite answer.

Do you

a) Spam interupts every 5 seconds once he goes transform crazy

or

b) Dps down, reset, then kill.

If it is A, can you please provide in your own words any strategy you would have to make sure your interupts are timed right.

If b then how is it different from before?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Elsie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:29 am

He has always done the transformation at a set percentage of HP with increasing speed. Simply have a DPS -watching- for it and a cast speed slow debuff.

...That said I just bugged it with a hunter.
Elsie

Postby Zalaria » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:23 am

One of the wowhead comments said that there was a timer for when he casts his transform - 10 seconds when above 50%, and 5 seconds when below. Bring enough interrupts that you can pull off one every five seconds, and run a timer so you can interrupt right as the cast starts.

It's easy enough to test, I just haven't run the place since I read it so I can't confirm. Kinda fits what I remember of the fight though.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:04 am

Yeah they fixed it and it is now the hardest heroic achievement ingame.

We did it post the fix with pure luck and ~15.9k dps in the party (me+enh + fury + ret + survival). 3-5 days we ended up him transforming at 1% or 4% and the kill we had was without bloodlust =s

The comments on wowhead are correct, only when you interupt him at 51% and then start nuking he will cast his next transform as soon as he hits 50% + 5s. After that, every 5s. Before from 100% -> 50% he recasts it roughly every 10s but they are slow and easy to interupt.

The best way we found to deal with it was to have a shaman respec for reverbation. (5s cooldown on shocks, which... just happened to be the same time as his "recast time"). Wind Shock can be used outside of GCD. So if you want to make sure its interupted, get atleast one enh shaman with reverbation to interupt the <50% ones. 2 is better since its more luck based than anything.

Mage counterlock doesn't lock him out for 8/10s anymore, it is a physical spell so it will still be cast 5s later. Also everything that slows casting speed doesn't work on him.

Basicly, it all boils down to "can you time your interupts so you can catch that 0.2s or 0.4s spell or not".
Seloei

Postby elfjorc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:12 am

Pretty much don't lag and don't have your interrupter be from outside the US.
elfjorc

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 am

There have been a lot of incorrect statements made about this fight, especially on the wowhead comments. I completed this one this past weekend, and here's what we found through some testing and trial-and-error.

First of all, copying from the wowhead comment that was most useful:
What others have said is correct, and easy to prove. He casts transformation at 10 seconds, 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s, etc.

If you don't believe it, type /sw to bring up your stopwatch. Just as the boss is pulled and takes a step, start it. Now watch the timer. You'll see he casts just at those times. The ONLY thing that screws up the timing is his earthquake. He will not cast if you are stunned from the earthquake. So...if the earthquake stun takes you past one of his casting 'checkpoints', get ready to spam your interrupt, cuz he'll be casting once everyone is standing back up.

So, got this on the 2nd try. All on vent. I don't need to heal much at all so I've got the timer running and calling it out on vent. Tank got the 10s interrupt, Pali got the 20s interrrupt. Mage and the DK dpser got the 3rd interrupt. He earthquakes shortly before the 4th cast, the DK tank starts spamming his interrupt as he's stunned. Stands up, interrupts him, he dies about a second later. No bloodlust, no heroism, no improved counterspell, no add-ons, no tricks.

We did this with me (prot), a mage, rogue, hunter, and resto druid in kitty form dps-ing. Some comments:
  • We found that the casts occurred at 10, 20, 30, 35, 40. We never saw the 25-second cast. I used the in-game stopwatch and started it with my Avenger's Shield pull.
  • It seemed like the timer started with his first melee attack. In other words, if I stood at the bottom of the stairs and AS'ed to pull, it would take him ~2 seconds to get into melee range and hit me. The casts started at 12, 22, 32, etc. This threw our interrupters off a couple times until we figured out how it worked.
  • I'm not sure if the "10 seconds before 50%, 5 seconds after 50%" comment is correct, because I'm fairly certain that at least on a few tries, he was below 50% by the 20 second cast, but I could be wrong. We were popping cooldowns to burn him as low as possible early on, when we had more pure dps time to work with (thus less lost to interrupting).
  • The rogue's kick was on a 10-second cooldown, so we originally had him kicking at 10, 20, 30, 40. This turned out to not work so well, because server latency meant that each kick was getting pushed back a few hundred milliseconds, and inevitably he'd miss the 30s kick.
  • In the end, we had the following interrupt order:
    • 10s - Rogue
    • 20s - Rogue
    • 30s - Me (HoJ)
    • 35s - Mage
    • 40s - Rogue
    This let the rogue get the first two easy ones, but made sure his kick was ready for the important ones later on.
  • Basically, we just practiced to get the routine. One two attempts, once we figured the melee-attack delay thing, we just had the interrupters watch their SW for the last two casts. They then were able to know exactly when to use their interrupt based on the SW countdown for the real thing.
  • We did get an earthquake at around 36/37 seconds, which resulted in the kill. Rogue spammed kick as soon as we got knocked down, and everyone else just burned him before the 45 second cast.
  • It seemed that Earthquake does not change the timing of the other casts. If we're knocked down during the 20s mark, for example, he will cast the 20s transform as soon as Earthquake is over, but it does not push back the 30s cast. It will always be at 30s on the stopwatch. Similarly for the laster casts.
  • I said at the beginning the resto druid was in kitty form. I wasn't joking - as a prot paladin wearing a block/dps set I took so little damage that I didn't really need healing beyond Judgement of Light. So after the first few attempts, the druid would pre-cast some HoTs on me and then go kitty form and stealth for the pull. I don't think I ever dropped below 50% health.

Obviously, we did this with a weird group comp, no heroism, not much in the way of group synergy. Even so, it only took about 30 minutes of trial and error to figure it all out and get the kill. Also worth noting that while myself, the rogue, and the hunter were decked out, the mage was in a mix of naxx-10 and naxx-25 gear with a few blues, and the resto druid was in mostly blues from leveling.

The only real trick is to get a routine set up, and get your interrupters to be consistent with their stopwatch. If they start it on time, and they hit the interrupts properly, the short cast time isn't a problem. We had a few wipes where someone cast the interrupt a little too early. Luckily, there's really only two casts that need to be done blindly like this, so it's just a bit of luck to get those two both to land. A lucky earthquake at the end helps a lot too.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Belloc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 am

You didn't see a 25 second cast because he was still above 50% at that point. Casts come every 10 seconds until he reaches 50%, at which point they come every 5 seconds.
Belloc

Postby Threatco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:13 am

So does it

A) Always happen on a multiple of 5 seconds the whole fight (except 1 time earthquake delays)

or

B) as he hits 50% + 5s after that, meaning it could be off a 5 second multiple on /SW

If A. Is it more like as he hits 50% its the next 5s multiple?
Threatco

Postby Belloc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:16 am

The way I understand it is that, above 50%, he starts a 10-second timer and then casts it again. If, at any point, he hits 50%, that countdown changes to a 5-second timer. So, if he casts at 53% and starts his 10-second timer, that timer will be shaved down to a 5-second timer as soon as he hits 50%.

The only thing I don't really know is what happens if his countdown is already under 5 seconds when he hits 50%. For instance, if he has 2 seconds left, I would imagine that he would still cast in 2 seconds instead of resetting to 5.
Belloc

Postby Threatco » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Three times now I have come in with all 25 man geared group. And after mutiple attempts we always end up coming "close" but dots kill him after he transforms.

Anyone come up with any new strategies?

Have had this as the last one I need for about 3 weeks now.

I would assume the key is to be able to burst him fast after the last transform.

Meaning you want the last transform to be at around 10-15%. Then to burst hard enough to not see a transform happen below 10%. How do you get this to work?
Threatco

Postby Ovine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 am

My regular group must of trued this for weeks with no success.

We changed our tactic slightly and got a 2 shot.

Bring tank and 4 very very good dps. Yep no healer. (our attempts were always mage, shammy, hunter & ret pally)

Give every member a

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=5634

take potion, pop divine protection, heroism and pull.

I always did the first interrupt, the mage always did the 2nd which came at 50%, once that 2nd cast is interrupted just go hell for leather on the dps, he should then go down within the 10 seconds of the transformation CD.

Best of luck.
Ovine

Postby Aubade » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:55 am

I did this the other day, me, ele shaman, DK, Rogue, Warlock.

Had the rogue interuppting all 10 second casts, poped AR with imp FoK past 50%.

1 shot.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby xstrykr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:09 pm

If you take a mage, it's easy-mode.

My group setup was enhancement shaman, DK, me, healer and mage.

Shaman took the first, DK second, me third. by this time he'd be at about 35-40% health. At that point we'd let the mage take the next interrupt, at which point we'd pop BL and burn him down. If he happened to NOT be at 30% with the 4th interrupt, we'd reset and try again.
xstrykr

Re:

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 pm

xstrykr wrote:If you take a mage, it's easy-mode.

My group setup was enhancement shaman, DK, me, healer and mage.

Shaman took the first, DK second, me third. by this time he'd be at about 35-40% health. At that point we'd let the mage take the next interrupt, at which point we'd pop BL and burn him down. If he happened to NOT be at 30% with the 4th interrupt, we'd reset and try again.

How do mages make it easy mode? The only reason would be if counterspell actually locked the school for longer than any other interrupt, but that is no longer the case in this fight.

Shamans talented to have 5-second cooldown interrupt is the only "easy mode," and that still requires timing (I guess the rogue method can be called "easy" as well, but it still requires timing/luck with low % casts). The truth is, the only way to make this fight easy is to have interrupters that can count to 5 and hit their interrupt. Mages have a long cooldown on their interrupt, which blows.

Ovine wrote:My regular group must of trued this for weeks with no success.

We changed our tactic slightly and got a 2 shot.

Bring tank and 4 very very good dps. Yep no healer. (our attempts were always mage, shammy, hunter & ret pally)

Give every member a

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=5634

take potion, pop divine protection, heroism and pull.

I always did the first interrupt, the mage always did the 2nd which came at 50%, once that 2nd cast is interrupted just go hell for leather on the dps, he should then go down within the 10 seconds of the transformation CD.

Best of luck.

The transformation cooldown becomes 5 seconds once the boss hits 50%. If the boss hits 50% while in the middle of a 10 second cooldown, that cooldown will be shortened to 5 seconds, usually resulting in him casting at 50%. Regardless, you've got 5 seconds before the next cast once you hit 50%.

Let's cut out the misinformation, please. 10 second cooldowns when over 50%, 5 second cooldowns when under 50%. No spell lockouts -- casts will come on the cooldown, regardless of which interrupt you are using.
Belloc

Re: Less-Rabi

Postby Threatco » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm

That knock down potion works?
Threatco

Next

Return to General Strats