the most irritating, difficult and annoying daily?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 am

Guys I have to point out something everyone has missed about phase 2 so I put this in bold

@ the "Pry until your almost dead" people.

Pry. The buff lasts 10 seconds. You seem to have a 1 second GCD because you can get to 9 before the first ones wear off as you put new ones on. Watch your stacks. Spamming 1 after your first pry's start wearing off is pointless. Just get up to 9 or so then shoot. If it fails then you have plenty of time to try again.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:33 am

I failed it a couple of times... then i just put on my max stam gear (34k unbuffed) and i got all the time of this world.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Chevy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:50 am

This is actually my favorite daily haha - I think it's easy once you learn how to do it. Pretty fun idea.
Chevy

Postby majiben » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:20 am

Threatco wrote:Guys I have to point out something everyone has missed about phase 2 so I put this in bold

Pry. The buff lasts 10 seconds. You seem to have a 1 second GCD because you can get to 9 before the first ones wear off as you put new ones on. Watch your stacks. Spamming 1 after your first pry's start wearing off is pointless. Just get up to 9 or so then shoot. If it fails then you have plenty of time to try again.
Uhhhh The prys stack to 20
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Flex » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:06 am

Worldie wrote:I failed it a couple of times... then i just put on my max stam gear (34k unbuffed) and i got all the time of this world.

But damage is based on a percentage of maximum health.

IU always do the big hit when I am picked up then spam grip and the small hurty while dodging and using the big hit.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Maat wrote:If you want frustrating though, try doing that Hodir pre-quest on the proto-drakes flying around Temple of Storms as a BM hunter.

Admittedly I don't know much about BM hunters but I loved that quest.

I also love the Hodir's Spear quest.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Majiben wrote:
Threatco wrote:Guys I have to point out something everyone has missed about phase 2 so I put this in bold

IT may stack to 20 but:

You only need to hit with a 9 stack to kill him by the time yhou hit P2.
Dragonzbane

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:
Majiben wrote:

IT may stack to 20 but:

I don't think you understand either the phase or what is being said in the thread.

In phase 2, a hit will kill the mob no matter how many stacks you have. The stacks simply increase the chance that your attack will land. If you attack without any stacks, you will always miss. If you attack with 1 stack, you have a 5% chance of hitting. 10 stacks = 50% chance. 20 stacks = 100% chance.

So, the best way to handle phase 2 is to spam 1 (pry jaws, or whatever) until you reach 20 stacks OR until you are out of time and have to hit 3 in order to survive.

If you handled phase 1 correctly (dodging everything), then phase 2 is simply hitting 1 20 times and then hitting 3 and ending with under half of your health remaining.
Belloc

Postby Conaan! » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:41 am

Belloc wrote:
Dragonzbane wrote:
Majiben wrote:

IT may stack to 20 but:

I don't think you understand either the phase or what is being said in the thread.

In phase 2, a hit will kill the mob no matter how many stacks you have. The stacks simply increase the chance that your attack will land. If you attack without any stacks, you will always miss. If you attack with 1 stack, you have a 5% chance of hitting. 10 stacks = 50% chance. 20 stacks = 100% chance.

So, the best way to handle phase 2 is to spam 1 (pry jaws, or whatever) until you reach 20 stacks OR until you are out of time and have to hit 3 in order to survive.

If you handled phase 1 correctly (dodging everything), then phase 2 is simply hitting 1 20 times and then hitting 3 and ending with under half of your health remaining.

actually the most effective is spamming pry jaws only when fatal strike is on cooldown, hit pry jaws twice - fatal strike - pry jaws twice - fatal strike and so on
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby culhag » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 am

Conaan! wrote:actually the most effective is spamming pry jaws only when fatal strike is on cooldown, hit pry jaws twice - fatal strike - pry jaws twice - fatal strike and so on

That's what I do too. Usually a strike will land before I reach a 10 stack.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 am

Umm.. phase 1 is basically keep your grip high, and when he does claw use 2 then 4. 4 puts 2 on a 4 second CD, but the converse is not true. Also 2 (your avoid move) is not on the CD. So simply alternate 1 and 3 (little hit) to your leisure.

4 does 10% damage, 3 does 1%. They both cost similar Grip, so you can do the entire damn fight by ignoring 3 if you so choose. In fact, 3 can get you killed if you succeed too early. The drake flies over a cliff and the "dismount" can plummet you to an early retirement.

As far as phase 2, I simply hit pry to 5 stacks, then do a 3:1 rotation till he's dead. I've never had any problems since you can get about 5+ kill shots in with this. 3:1 is more efficient than 2:1 since 2:1 wastes around half a GCD (0.5 seconds) from my experiences.
Elsie

Postby Velorian » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:23 am

It seems like they made the spear quest easier in 3.0.8. I seem to remember dodge being on a longer cooldown following the powerful stab. Now it's just on the GCD.

Keep your grip up, dodge when prompted, immediately followed by the powerful stab, and it's cake. You'll have plenty of health left to get max pry stacks up before your fatal shot.
Velorian

Re: the most irritating, difficult and annoying daily?

Postby degre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 am

masterpoobaa wrote:"Thrusting Hodir's Spear"

is http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13003
The most hideously annoying daily yet?

Loving it.

Short, different from usual which makes it actually funny, best rep of all Hodir's dailies.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:43 am

Velorian wrote:It seems like they made the spear quest easier in 3.0.8. I seem to remember dodge being on a longer cooldown following the powerful stab. Now it's just on the GCD.

Yeah, I think they halved the lockout on dodge after stabbing.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Eanin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am

I enjoy this daily - well, enjoyed, since I'm exalted now, but still.

It's pretty easy. Spear, grip, spear, grip, spear, grip, dodge, big thrust, win

Just make sure to do at least one grip per spear and only use your big thrust after dodging.
Eanin

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats