DR and Parry Strike

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

DR and Parry Strike

Postby Rolfson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:01 am

Hey everyone, I feel like such a noob for posting this. But anyway, I hear "Diminishing Returns" and "parry-strike" (or some version of the two) and have a limited idea of how these work. Could someone please give me a more detailed rundown on how these factor into the game itself? (and a new macro on how to determine my EXACT avoidance, I'm a number freak, the old macro from BC doesn't work anymore). Thanks very much!

---- Gear isn't a problem, I know what im doing in the game itself. I am just wanting to figure out the game mechanics more now that I have mastered the basics, so to speak.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Rolfson

EDIT: --- in ret gear atm, had to respec briefly for a raid last night.
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 am

I'm not sure what you mean by parry-strike. Rune strike prehaps? That's a DK move that let's them do an attack that can't be dodged or parried after one of their attacks is parried. It lets them "catch up" after missing a hit.

As for diminishng returns (DR) here's a basic run down:

The more dodge, parry and miss you get from ratings and agility, the less it wil give per point. DR do not affect base parry, miss, and dodge or avoidance from talents. DR do not affect block chance. DR are important because they prevent avoidance's value from becoming inflated. In the past additional avoidance used to greatly increase in value as you stacked more of it. Now it will increase slowly in value until stopping and being consistently valuable.

I can't believe I haven't written up on DR in the basic training glossary. I'll need to add that later.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 am

ok, for diminishing returns that helps a lot. As far as parry-strike goes (or wtf its supposed to be) rumor has been flying, maybe it is just on my server, that when you parry a mob's attack it gets an instant attack on you for 50% damage, or some sort, that IS affected by avoidance stats as well. This sounds highly unlikely and confusing (at least to me!) so I came here for help. If you guys dont have anything to say about it it seems to be just rumor. Thanks though!
Rolfson

Postby Lore » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:46 am

Whenever a creature (including players) parries, their next attack is sped up. It's very rarely instant, more often than not it just means the next swing comes quicker. And it only happens when the boss parries YOU, not the other way around.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Makaijin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 am

By Parry-Strike I think he means parry haste. Basically, whenever someone parries an attack (the defendant), the defendant's next auto-attack is sped up by up to by 40% depending on how long is left on their auto-swing timer. Every player and mob have this effect, including bosses.

So if a boss parries you attack, or any melee dps stupid enough to attack from the front of the boss and gets parried, the boss's next melee swing will come 40% sooner, which basically mean more incoming damage.

When people mention being "parry-gibbed", it means they died because the boss's attack was parry hasted and the healing wasn't fast enough. Getting a string of parries can mean a very fast death for the tank. It is because of this parry-haste effect that makes expertise useful for tanks, as expertise reduces the chance your attacks get parried, as well as dodged.
Makaijin

Postby Rolfson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 am

that makes much more sense. Thanks, I now feel like half the noob i used to be!! :lol:
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 am

Lore wrote:It's Never instant
Fixed.

If there is less than 20% of the mob's swing timer left the parry will provide no haste. Also parry haste can not drop the timer left below 20%.
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:17 am

Yeah. Last time we downed Maexxena the other tank in my guild was going crazy telling me to stack dodge as much as possible so I wouldnt get double-hit when she enraged because I parried her attack. That is sort of what stemmed this confusion, but now it is all settled. Thanks again for all you tankadin deities
Rolfson

Postby Lore » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:52 am

Majiben wrote:
Fixed.

If there is less than 20% of the mob's swing timer left the parry will provide no haste. Also parry haste can not drop the timer left below 20%.

It shouldn't be instant, but it occasionally works out to be instant or close enough to considered instant. I'm not sure exactly why but I suspect latency has something to do with it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby mayoff » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 am

Makaijin wrote:Every player and mob have this effect, including bosses.

Blizzard has been known to disable parry-hasting on some bosses such as Nalorakk (ZA bear boss) and Mother Shahraz.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 65&sid=1#0
mayoff

Postby majiben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:49 am

Lore wrote:
Majiben wrote:
Fixed.

It shouldn't be instant, but it occasionally works out to be instant or close enough to considered instant. I'm not sure exactly why but I suspect latency has something to do with it.
That strikes me as a glaring error on blizzard's part should it be true.

From wowwiki and tankspot:

Swing timer
When you parry an attack, the remaining time on your current swing is reduced by 40% of your weapon speed, unless this would result in a reduction to less than 20% of your swing time remaining
majiben

Return to General Strats