[H] Old Kingdom - last boss timed achievement

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Kelaan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:55 am

jgn77 wrote:Anyone know if bringing a druid healer and having them switch to cat form b4 the insanity is a viable strat? I'm not sure if they switch back to human for to cast or not. If not, that would effectively eliminate the healer thereby making this achievement very easy. Thoughts?

The cat clone will still chain-cast heals. Not as strong as the tree but still pretty crazy.
Kelaan

Postby Iarthasl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Did it a few days back after several attempts. Basically went in with a druid healer, once we reached the last boss, druid hearth to respec into moonkin.

Grp Set up
- Me (Prot pally)
- Rogue
- Priest
- Ele shammy
- Druid

First try in this set up was we blew BL at the start of the fight, was quite a bad idea as we actually had 2 insanity at the same time. Rogue died as a result of this. So called for a wipe and wait 10 mins for BL again

This time we BL when the boss was casting insanity, managed to clear with 30secs or so left on clock.

Basically i told the grp to stand together so that anyone who can AOE can AOE down the adds. Occasionally druid will throw some hots on me but the boss hits quite soft so i didnt really require much healing. LoH was acting as a backup.

Hope my comments can help those who are still trying this.
Iarthasl

Postby Dorvan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Worldie wrote:Objective opinion: 3 melee dps + dps specced healer = ez mode achievement.

/agree

I did it a couple of weeks ago, I believe our make-up was:

Feral Druid
Fury Warrior
Ret Pally
Shadow Priest
Boomkin (normally Resto druid, respecc'ed for this fight)

Everyone stood right on the boss so we were all in easy reach for AoE as soon as insanity started. Probably would've been even easier had the shadow priest been a rogue, but even as it was we had about 20 seconds to spare.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zoltar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Did it 2 weeks ago.

Prot pally (me)
Holy pally
2 DKs
Rogue

Was really easy...... in fact that group made the whole place easy. Finished it in 35 or 40 minutes I think. Did the achievement for Jedoga also, just ignored the sacrifices and brute forced the boss when it was attackable.
Zoltar

Postby Mozen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Zoltar wrote:Did it 2 weeks ago.

What about the last boss timed achievement? Did you use any tricks to avoid going into Frenzy, or did you brute force through two frenzies and still got the timed achievement?
Mozen

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 am

Mozen wrote:
Zoltar wrote:Did it 2 weeks ago.

What about the last boss timed achievement? Did you use any tricks to avoid going into Frenzy, or did you brute force through two frenzies and still got the timed achievement?

I havne't gotten it yet, but was Very Close last time: had some miscommunication issues.

Plan was to use Army of the Dead on the first Insanity, so that adds could die faster -- the DK blew it early, and didn't have it for Insanity. (dammit.) Then, for the second, I DI'ed our paladin healer, and got a battle rez from our druid. We were ~20-30 seconds short of the timer. I think we had been a better geared pug (or guild group ;)), and if the DK had use AotD at the right time. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Tandors » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:21 pm

We did a:
Prot Pally (me)
Ele Shaman
Enh Shaman
Fury Warrior
Tree

on our best attempt we popped everything ASAP and just zerged. he was at about 40% before first insanity. We then burned more until the second one. After the 2nd we just kept on killing him. We missed it but 1 second because I couldn't kill the healer. /cry
Tandors

Re: [H] Old Kingdom - last boss timed achievement

Postby sfrog » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 pm

We're having some issue with this one and wondering if anyone's got some suggestions.

Group Makeup:
Prot Paladin
Holy Paladin (who went Ret 1/2 way through)
SS hunter w/cat pet
Afflic Lock
Rogue

Every attempt we'd get Herald to around 50% before the first insanity if not lower. However every time without fail, our various DoTs (Poisons, Stings, Traps, SoV and Lock DoTs) would tick the boss down enough so that we'd get a second insanity during the first. Normally this is what we'd want, but the problem is it happens 1-3 secs into the first, so people haven't had a chance to even down 1 'clone', let alone multiple. With the Holy/Ret paladin 'clones' healing every single time, we can't kill 2 of them keeping both sets up fast enough so that we can still be on the timer and lose the timer during that combined first/second insanity.

Any suggestions?
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Get an fully off spec healer might do the trick. The paladin you have is probably too deep in holy.

A spec like thismight work better at convinceing the AI to dps rather than heal. Though getting two sets of adds at a time sounds very problematic in of itself.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby sfrog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:14 am

Yea, it's the second set of adds that's getting us. Our Holy Paladin actually went and spec'd fully ret to see if that would help tonight, but it's still giving us the second insanity 1 to 3 secs into the first. I'm almost wondering if we need to just hold back on DPS in order to make sure that we don't get that second set?
sfrog

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:45 am

So, what you're saying is that you're dpsing the boss to 33% before the first insanity phase finishes, resulting in you getting two sets of insanity adds up at the same time?

If that's the case, you're doing it wrong.

Don't get him to 33% (or lower) before the first insanity is over. Feel free to get him to 50% or 40%, but not 33% or lower. If you can handle the first insanity (and with that kind of DPS, you should have no issue), then you can just DPS him hard enough to not see a second insanity.

Just hold off on the dots for the first insanity.
Last edited by Belloc on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby Belloc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 am

Here's a way to do it if you have a warlock and a paladin (which you should, if you are a paladin tank).

First, you can move around the boss by hugging the wall to the left of him (behind the pillar). Run up the ramp and have your warlock create a summoning stone near the exit. Summon all but two of you (we summoned healer and two dps, leaving me as the pally tank and a dps warrior). Also put a soulstone on your paladin.

Pull the boss up to the last ramp (near the exit portal) and DPS him until he starts casting insanity. As soon as he's casting insanity, have everyone that received a summon zone out. Insanity will start and there will only be one add for each of the players. As soon as you have confirmed that there is only one add for you to kill, have the zoned out players use their summon. Bam, you just cheesed the first insanity phase.

Continue DPSing him until he starts casting his second insanity. At this point, the paladin will DI the healer (unless the paladin IS the healer, in which case he'll DI the weakest player). As soon as the insanity phase has started and the adds are up, the DI target will click off DI, and the paladin will use the soulstone.

Bam, you just cheesed both insanity phases.
Belloc

Postby Neara » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

sfrog wrote:We're having some issue with this one and wondering if anyone's got some suggestions.

Group Makeup:
Prot Paladin
Holy Paladin (who went Ret 1/2 way through)
SS hunter w/cat pet
Afflic Lock
Rogue

Every attempt we'd get Herald to around 50% before the first insanity if not lower. However every time without fail, our various DoTs (Poisons, Stings, Traps, SoV and Lock DoTs) would tick the boss down enough so that we'd get a second insanity during the first. Normally this is what we'd want, but the problem is it happens 1-3 secs into the first, so people haven't had a chance to even down 1 'clone', let alone multiple. With the Holy/Ret paladin 'clones' healing every single time, we can't kill 2 of them keeping both sets up fast enough so that we can still be on the timer and lose the timer during that combined first/second insanity.

Any suggestions?

Hold back some DPS to not get a 2nd insanity during the first.

First insanity - Prot Pally DI's the Holy while insanity is cast -> Holy Pally rezzes the Prot. Important to note is for the Prot to not forget to recast RF and to taunt the boss right after insanity because dying is an aggro-wipe (yeah, i hadn't thought of that until one player got killed q.q )
2nd insanity -> other way around, holy pally DIs the prot

After being taken out of combat you don't get back into combat until insanity is over so rezzing is possible. 3 DPS should need 15 seconds for each insanity, leaves you with 1:30 min to kill the boss.
Neara

Postby sfrog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:54 pm

While we haven't had the time to group back up and go finish this guy off, is it clear if those 2 strats aren't exploits? The group that's doing this is pretty set in that we don't want to use an exploit in order to get our drakes. Personal Pride, fear of GMs, ect.
sfrog

Postby Kelaan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Summoning: I'd call that creative use of mechanics. Raids prevent entrance into the raid, I believe, while a boss fight is going on, but 5-mans do not -- people already can run back midfight in other places if they die.

DI: Also seems like creative use of mechanics, and not a 'sploit.

Guildmates have told me that it should be doable straight-up with well-geared DPS who can just burn their adds quickly. Last time I've been there, I was the first person to clear adds every single time. Melee pals do seem to be the way to go, as do multiple DKs. ;)
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats