Remove Advertisements

Watch Him Die!

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Wibu » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:49 pm

We did it the crazy Ivan way.

I charged in popped consecrate, aggro'd all, crazy nuke on boss.

Key things...

Pally Healer. He could (and did) bubble/Hand of Sacrifice. Also used Holy Wrath to stun.

Unholy DK (I think) with the talent to occasionally stun/fear with Death and Decay. Helped a lot to minimise burst on me.

Solid DPS but no shaman with heroism.
Wibu

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Wibu wrote:Pally Healer. He could (and did) bubble/Hand of Sacrifice. Also used Holy Wrath to stun.

That is a GREAT point. I think Azjol-Nerub is just SCREAMING for having an all-paladin party. :D Venomancers get feared all to hell, and we'd have 5 AOE stuns for dealing with the first boss. I will have to try this out.

I think I'll see if I can do it with a shaman (NR totem, ele off-heals on Anub'Arak?) and 4 paladins.... assuming I can even put together such a group.
Kelaan

Re: Watch Him Die!

Postby Riposte » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:19 am

Attempted this last night with a group of friends, and we seemed to get everything going well until I caught the blinding webs.

Resto Shammy (BiS for just about every slot, and knows how to use it)
Survival Hunter (Decently geared and mostly capable)
Mage (no idea on his spec but he does good dps)
Feral Druid (Decently geared, resourceful with his abilities)
Prot Pally (Decently geared, 600ms latency)

Our technique (which we will continue to perfect) was to kill the adds for the first two watchers and then once I'd pulled the third group the feral druid would tank the boss while the mage and hunter nuked and the shammy popped heroism. Our best attempt got the boss to about 50% and then we wiped monumentally because of blinding webs/web wraps. Everything goes really smoothly with this group, and we'll keep refining this strategy since all we need is maybe 10 seconds more to get the boss down. I failed at using every man for himself on a blinding webs which may, or may not have, helped. I'll update this post with our progress on this achievement and would welcome any feedback from people trying a similar strategy. We will not be replacing any of the above characters, so suggestions to that effect will be of no use to us.
Riposte

Postby Sanctify » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:15 am

Cut and pasted from a post in another thread....

Setup
Me
Rogue
Hunter
Ret Pala
DPS Shaman (offspec healing)

We then proceeded to AN and did Watch Him Die on the 2nd attempt with the Shaman pinch healing, looked like we were going to wipe at 1% but the Shaman anked and earth shocked him for the killing blow, again another easy achievement to brute force assuming decent gear, although the hunter and Ret paladin were alts so it doesnt exactly require best in slot gear.

If anyone is interested I "tanked" it as follows:

1. ran up to the pack on the left & HotR'd them
2. moved towards the middle pack and AS'd them
3. positioned myself at the boss with him facing me and hit holy wrath to stun everything
4. Shaman hit BL, dps pew pewed
5. Ret Pala hit holy wrath
6. I popped shield wall and JC trinket once BL was down, chugged a pot (would have also used LoH at this point but it was still on cooldown after first attempt).
7. I died
8. Hunter nuked down boss to ~1%
9. Shaman anked and finished him off

Cue "lulz was that supposed to be that easy?" comments on Vent.
Image Image
Sanctify

Postby Belloc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:12 am

Riposte wrote:Attempted this last night with a group of friends, and we seemed to get everything going well until I caught the blinding webs.

Resto Shammy (BiS for just about every slot, and knows how to use it)
Survival Hunter (Decently geared and mostly capable)
Mage (no idea on his spec but he does good dps)
Feral Druid (Decently geared, resourceful with his abilities)
Prot Pally (Decently geared, 600ms latency)

Our technique (which we will continue to perfect) was to kill the adds for the first two watchers and then once I'd pulled the third group the feral druid would tank the boss while the mage and hunter nuked and the shammy popped heroism. Our best attempt got the boss to about 50% and then we wiped monumentally because of blinding webs/web wraps. Everything goes really smoothly with this group, and we'll keep refining this strategy since all we need is maybe 10 seconds more to get the boss down. I failed at using every man for himself on a blinding webs which may, or may not have, helped. I'll update this post with our progress on this achievement and would welcome any feedback from people trying a similar strategy. We will not be replacing any of the above characters, so suggestions to that effect will be of no use to us.

It sounds like the paladin wasn't kiting the mobs up to the entrance. If the paladin is kiting, there should be little to no chance of getting blinding webs until reaching the top. If it is happening at the top, then dps sounds low.

Remember that after you kill the left and middle packs, you need to run into the right pack, let all the mobs get in range, and blow holy wrath. While they're stunned, you run.
Belloc

Postby Riposte » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:41 pm

We had read that strat previously, but we'd also read that leaving that room resets the encounter (I say we, the druid, shammy and myself did the reading and explained/adjusted the strat to fit our group). We may try it that way tonight just to see if it works. I'll update here either way, as I imagine there are others that are ever so close like we are and just need a few more seconds.
Riposte

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 am

Leaving the room will not cause them to reset. I've been using this strategy to get guildies and friends the achievement long since the most recent patch.
Belloc

Postby Riposte » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but we'll definitely give it a shot the next time we attempt the achievement. Right now we are having trouble all being online at the same time because we are very globally dispersed--1 in New Zealand, 1 in Singapore, 1 in Kuwait, and 2 in Arkansas. Hopefully tonight!
Riposte

Postby Taudark » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:42 pm

I have found simply nuking the boss to be the easiest, it should be down after 20-30 seconds.
Last edited by Taudark on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taudark

Postby Riposte » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 pm

We got it with the running to the entrance strategy. It was surprisingly easy. Not sure how nuking him would work out since there are the blinding webs and web wraps to deal with, but perhaps with enough gear you might manage.
Riposte

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:59 am

Riposte wrote:We got it with the running to the entrance strategy. It was surprisingly easy. Not sure how nuking him would work out since there are the blinding webs and web wraps to deal with, but perhaps with enough gear you might manage.

Bring some DPS that can interrupt it. They focus target the guy, and have their interrupt tied to their macro. Viola, no blinding webs.
Kelaan

Postby Belloc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Riposte wrote:We got it with the running to the entrance strategy. It was surprisingly easy. Not sure how nuking him would work out since there are the blinding webs and web wraps to deal with, but perhaps with enough gear you might manage.

Bring some DPS that can interrupt it. They focus target the guy, and have their interrupt tied to their macro. Viola, no blinding webs.

Ever actually try that? I have. All three watchers can use web wrap, which is just as dangerous. What do you do if your healer/tank gets web-wrapped? Or worse, 3 people web-wrapped at once?

The only reliable way to do this achievement is to kite. Everything else involves heavy risk.
Belloc

Postby Taudark » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Belloc wrote:Ever actually try that? I have. All three watchers can use web wrap, which is just as dangerous. What do you do if your healer/tank gets web-wrapped? Or worse, 3 people web-wrapped at once?

The only reliable way to do this achievement is to kite. Everything else involves heavy risk.

Honestly, if you kill it as fast as you should, several people getting wrapped is your group being very very unlucky. :P
Taudark

Postby Riposte » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Taudark wrote:
Belloc wrote:Ever actually try that? I have. All three watchers can use web wrap, which is just as dangerous. What do you do if your healer/tank gets web-wrapped? Or worse, 3 people web-wrapped at once?

Honestly, if you kill it as fast as I think you should, several people getting wrapped is your group being very very unlucky. :P

Fixed. We don't kill that fast, so kiting was the method that worked for us. We one-shotted it with kiting, while we failed about 20 attempts without prior.
Riposte

Postby Belloc » Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 am

Taudark wrote:

Honestly, if you kill it as fast as you should, several people getting wrapped is your group being very very unlucky. :P

Most people still doing heroic achievements aren't geared to the teeth, nor are they maxing out their DPS. Maybe if you're running a friend's alt through, or something, but I just don't see it working that way for most people.

That achievement is never more frustrating than when you try it like that. Kiting is so easy.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats