The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:10 am

Does he MC when all the priestesses are dead?

I'd guess no, just a guess though. I've only been in there solo.

If one of the priestesses does cause it then just kill em all! It reduces hakkar's hp too. After all the priestesses are dead he only has about 750-800k hp.

Oh and keep moving. It can be a bit tough with the raised platform in the middle and if you keep those patting adds in front of him up, but if you just stand there he will eventually life leech you, and while it probably won't kill you it will slow you down and may cause you to go over the enrage timer. If you keep moving there is less chance of it hitting you.
kywirelessguy

Postby Tropicana » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 am

He will still mind control if all the priestesses are dead, but only if there is more than 1 person ALIVE and in the instance when the encounter starts. Meaning even if another person is all the way back at the entrance, as long as he is alive, Hakkar will still mind control. If you are trying to 2 man him, and one of you get MC'd and kill the other, he will STILL continue to MC you even after the other is dead. Its just the way mind control abilities work on any boss.

He does blood leach every minute and a half, and yes if you are moving at that time, you won't get stunned by it. What I always did, was use the in game stopwatch. When the time for the leach comes, just start strafing/running around him in a circle. I always killed him as ret after I got used to it, and could down him in about 3 minutes.
Tropicana

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 am

Not really all that noteworthy, but I managed to solo the Valhalas event in icecrown. Its the ring of blood esque event by the vykrul's. Was actually really easy, didn't even use any cooldowns.
kywirelessguy

Postby Leuthas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:42 am

Just a random hint for Paladins on the ZG Tiger Boss.

As we all know... the adds heal. However, in my experiences from progressing through ZG upon it's release I know that only one of the adds will actually heal (unless dead), while all will res. I cannot say specifically which add heals, but I know it is only one - keep an eye out for which. What I do during the fight, is use all of my abilities (even Cons.) and stay targeted on the add that is healing the others, and sometimes I may need to switch targets to put my melee damage elsewhere, but still keep focus on the healing add. Keep in mind that this add will not cast heals faster than you can interrupt - yes, don't forget our fancy HoJ. Just slap the add with it as soon as you see them casting the heal but don't get the heal confused with their other holy spells.

You can do the Tiger and Raptor boss in ZG while only clearing ONE (four champions before the raptor boss 'room') group of trash.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby kywirelessguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 am

I've found I don't have enough interrupts to stop all heals. I'm horde too so I have arcane torrent. What I did is focus on the healing add, using all the AOE I could afford (HotR, Cons) while zerging the healer as hard as possible. As long as you keep the healing add below 50% it will always heal itself. You should be able to do enough damage inbetween heals to keep it always healing itself. Now once you have the other two down to 5% you can pop your bubble (so you don't get silenced), then you have HoJ (which should be a full 5 seconds if you haven't been using it during the fight), arcane torrent (horde), and avenger's shield to finish off the healer, and if you got the other two low enough, the avenger's shield/HotR zerg you use to kill the healer will kill them at the same time.
kywirelessguy

Postby Horanur » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:03 pm

So i have a dilemma, i know alot of this information is pre 3.1, so i would like an opinion.

My Gear:
I have NO holy gear.

I have a 30% dodge set, an all-epic block value set from naxx / ulduar, and a 10 man ulduar quality ret set.

Resist gear isn't an issue i have full SR / FR gear.

The Question:
Should i drop the high-tier prot abilities to spec deep ret, or do some kind of wierd holy / prot build with some ret gear in order to make up for my lack of holy gear?

Other Crap:
Sorry that i am rather un-informed about the soloing aspect of our class, i was a HUGE solo whore in Everquest on my shadowknight, always wanted to get into it in this game but atm i run some sort of raid 5 nights a week ><
Horanur

Postby sublimated » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Horanur wrote:So i have a dilemma, i know alot of this information is pre 3.1, so i would like an opinion.

My Gear:
I have NO holy gear.

I have a 30% dodge set, an all-epic block value set from naxx / ulduar, and a 10 man ulduar quality ret set.

Resist gear isn't an issue i have full SR / FR gear.

The Question:
Should i drop the high-tier prot abilities to spec deep ret, or do some kind of wierd holy / prot build with some ret gear in order to make up for my lack of holy gear?

Other Crap:
Sorry that i am rather un-informed about the soloing aspect of our class, i was a HUGE solo whore in Everquest on my shadowknight, always wanted to get into it in this game but atm i run some sort of raid 5 nights a week ><

All pally specs can solo, prot spec tends to solo best in MOST situations, while ret spec can have an advantage (most specifically when you're dealing with enrage timers, caster-heavy mobs, etc)

Prot gives you more interrupts per minute if you spec imp HoJ with 5 interrupts or so p/min with 3 HoJs and 1 frisbee.

------------

Unrelated note while talking about specs:

Does anyone have any hints for soloing hakkar as full prot?

The best I could get him was to 11% before he enrage and ass-raped my holy buns.

Rest of ZG, clear: check.
sublimated

Postby Leuthas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:59 pm

kywirelessguy wrote:I've found I don't have enough interrupts to stop all heals. I'm horde too so I have arcane torrent. What I did is focus on the healing add, using all the AOE I could afford (HotR, Cons) while zerging the healer as hard as possible. As long as you keep the healing add below 50% it will always heal itself. You should be able to do enough damage inbetween heals to keep it always healing itself. Now once you have the other two down to 5% you can pop your bubble (so you don't get silenced), then you have HoJ (which should be a full 5 seconds if you haven't been using it during the fight), arcane torrent (horde), and avenger's shield to finish off the healer, and if you got the other two low enough, the avenger's shield/HotR zerg you use to kill the healer will kill them at the same time.

You're going to need 20sec CD on HoJ, and if you do, you will be able to stun the healer each time she starts to cast.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Tropicana » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:53 pm

sublimated wrote:Unrelated note while talking about specs:

The best I could get him was to 11% before he enrage and ass-raped my holy buns.

Ret gear + sword/shield, prot libram
Use a stopwatch so you don't get stunned by the blood leach. (be moving every 1:30)
Always worked for me when I was just getting used to soloing him. My ret gear was always better than my prot gear though, but even some naxx/heroic/pvp ret gear should be good enough.
Tropicana

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:15 am

Horanur wrote:The Question:

If you like soloing, I'd recommand having a prot/ret dual spec.
My standard tanking spec does the job for most bosses, but you'll want to be ret for some specific bosses (like Geddon) or for trash mobs.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby anthony » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:03 am

Tropicana wrote:
sublimated wrote:Unrelated note while talking about specs:

Ret gear + sword/shield, prot libram
Use a stopwatch so you don't get stunned by the blood leach. (be moving every 1:30)
Always worked for me when I was just getting used to soloing him. My ret gear was always better than my prot gear though, but even some naxx/heroic/pvp ret gear should be good enough.

I killed him solo on my second attempt, normal prot spec 0/53/18, only tanking gear, my block value gear which puts me at about 1500 BV and went over the enrage by about 30 seconds, used divine protection with tier 7 4pc bonus to only took half damage then used the VH block trinket, kept using the JC monarch crab when ever i could and i downed him, to me it was pretty easy...
Chat-killer at your service.
anthony

Postby kywirelessguy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 pm

Leuthas wrote:
kywirelessguy wrote:I've found I don't have enough interrupts to stop all heals. I'm horde too so I have arcane torrent. What I did is focus on the healing add, using all the AOE I could afford (HotR, Cons) while zerging the healer as hard as possible. As long as you keep the healing add below 50% it will always heal itself. You should be able to do enough damage inbetween heals to keep it always healing itself. Now once you have the other two down to 5% you can pop your bubble (so you don't get silenced), then you have HoJ (which should be a full 5 seconds if you haven't been using it during the fight), arcane torrent (horde), and avenger's shield to finish off the healer, and if you got the other two low enough, the avenger's shield/HotR zerg you use to kill the healer will kill them at the same time.

You're going to need 20sec CD on HoJ, and if you do, you will be able to stun the healer each time she starts to cast.

Meh, I'm not dedicated enough to respec just for that, I'll stick to just killing them slower.
kywirelessguy

Postby Pala » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I didn't see if it was posted already but The Iron Colossus in Storm Peaks is at the end of a quest line. You're supposed to fight him using a Worm and acid spit. I figured I'd give it a shot w/o the worm. It was pretty good. I used LoH but should have just switched to SoL earlier. Not too bad really.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Yeah, I did that one too. I sucked at using the worm so I did the last 80% or so solo. With the right seal it's incredibly easy.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby sublimated » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Can I farm him for engineering mats? :mrgreen:
sublimated

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats