The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Postby inthedrops » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:12 am

Yes the MGT issue is surprising. Incidentally, I find going as ret to be much easier and quicker in there EXCEPT for the second boss. You'll kill him too quick and those stacks will WTFOWN you. Second boss is easier as prot where you natually widdle him down slower. You can do it as ret (I do) you just have to not use wings and save bubble for just before you die (and finish him off before bubble expires). The alternative is to slow down dps of course, and handle the orbs in between each new spawn.

For last boss, he's WAYYYYYY quicker as Ret.

Also, for the PvP boss, wether ret or prot, I just SoComm, blow wings, run in and blow crap up. Sometimes they stun me right off the bat but I human racial and continue the face rolling. I don't think I've ever been in danger.

I finally got the mount so stopped running it. But with all my experience in there I defeinetely think (depending on your gear level) that the second boss can be the hardest if you try to burn it too quick.

I was doing ~8 minute clears of that place if that tells you anything. Maybe my gear makes it much easier (277), but I've been in there while scrubbier without issue.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:31 am

I actually find that blowing up Velaxxus (the second boss) as fast as possible, whether ret or prot, is desirable. The more orbs you kill, the more damage you do to yourself and to the boss. Depending ON your gear, you may reach a point where you're taking more damage than you can survive. However, with at least a 4500 gear score, every paladin should be able to blow up the boss without much trouble. At most, a shield wall might be necessary.

Back when Naxx and maybe Ulduar were end-game, it was a bit tougher... but now it's just a nuke fest. If you are having issues, just be ready to shield wall (or bubble and heal up). Switch to the adds and HotR off of them. The boss will die in about 10 seconds or so.
Belloc

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:10 am

When I ran it, I never bothered to change from prot spec. So the first two bosses are trivial, the last boss is just a slow, boring burn during phase 3, and the arena fight is the only one that can be tricky depending on composition. If you can nuke down one healer quickly, and don't spend too much time stunlocked, it's fine.

I've only done it a few times at 80 though, to get the orb. I ran it enough in BC to collect the mount, pet, enchants, and schematics. Now that I have the orb, I don't plan on going back.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:32 am

There is only one place where I tended to die in H MgT - in between the 2nd and 3rd boss, the first garden area before the one with Delrissa in. If I pulled one of the packs in there they had a tendency to aggro the one patrolling npc and he would pull the ones in the middle. They're mostly casters, so, it gets bad.

Could usually skip all the trash there with a tricky jump on a hedge for the back corner, but if I did pull it would get painful.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am

As annoying as it is, it's just safer to kill two of the trash packs. Once you kill the first pack on the left, you can pull the patrol alone and kill him. Then pull the back left pack, and proceed into the next room with the construct. At 80, you shouldn't have to pull the center group at all.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 am

I'm done with the instance now, but like I said, with a jump at the right moment it was pretty easy to skip the entire room.

Dodge packs through to the back left corner, go behind the tree, jump on the hedge. Hugging the corner and running round doesn't work - run on the hedge and jump the corner and the group doesn't pull. Not sure why jumping there works, it just does.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Njall » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Getting my ass kicked by Kael. The trash is tougher tahn the bosses but as long as I don't get two packs at a time, I can survive. Kael though, ugh. Putting up Fire Aura and Seal of Vengeance and Judging Light. I am sure I am doing this wrong....
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 pm

No, that's pretty much what I did. Fire aura, SoV, Judge Light. Kill phoenixes and eggs, of course. In phase 3, kite the orbs to the outside and swoop around every 12 seconds or so to Judge (refreshes Divine Plea). Keep Sacred Shield up for that phase as well, that will reduce damage taken considerably. You'll regen your health from JoL during the melee sections.
theckhd

Postby Njall » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:26 pm

NP. About twenty minutes later (and four wipes) I figured it out. A long grindy trip as prot though. Probably better to just bring a 2nd person and have done with it.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 am

Do Kael (or the whole place) as ret and you'll get through it a lot faster. As ret spec, you can keep yourself up with AoW FoLs and Divine Storms. He goes down incredibly fast.
Belloc

Postby lythac » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:47 am

This Sunday I am planning on taking on multiple MC bosses at the same time, I don't think any are tethered. Am deciding between -

Garr + Golemagg - both physical full prot gear + spec, SoL. Seems easy.
Shazzrah + Geddon - ret gear + spec, SoL, FoL on proc.

Binding double bill, Garr + Geddon - I think wearing FR pieces, wedged in a corner and high end ret gear should make this doable.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Njall » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:58 pm

Belloc wrote:Do Kael (or the whole place) as ret and you'll get through it a lot faster. As ret spec, you can keep yourself up with AoW FoLs and Divine Storms. He goes down incredibly fast.

Not an option.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Leuthas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 am

Is there any updates on solo'ing Skeram? I know a few have mentioned him in this thread, however they're all from quite some time ago. I was able to kill him solo as Protection back in mid-late 2009, and didn't try again until after patch 3.3. Ever since 3.3 I have not been able to solo him, even in 264/277 gear with approx. 100 nature resist.

Maybe I just suck now?

Note that when I had killed him solo, I was able to not pull the clones - now they always come now matter what crazy trick I pull.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Marblehead » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:01 am

Yes, clones always come for you. Last time I soloed him was with around 350 nature resist.
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 am

Leuthas wrote:Is there any updates on solo'ing Skeram? I know a few have mentioned him in this thread, however they're all from quite some time ago. I was able to kill him solo as Protection back in mid-late 2009, and didn't try again until after patch 3.3. Ever since 3.3 I have not been able to solo him, even in 264/277 gear with approx. 100 nature resist.

Maybe I just suck now?

Note that when I had killed him solo, I was able to not pull the clones - now they always come now matter what crazy trick I pull.

If you pace yourself to have cooldowns available during every split section, he's a snap. The last time I did it I forgot to wear my nature resistance gear and still didn't have a ton of trouble.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats