Remove Advertisements

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle: Palehoof question

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Utgarde Pinnacle: Palehoof question

Postby Melarisa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 am

Last night, did H-UP and got completely stuck on Gortok for an hour because of the Worgen mini-boss. What is the best way to mitigate the mortal strike stacking?

We had an excellent healer and even when worgen was the first mini to unfreeze, it'd zerg me down sooner or later. The only way we managed to do it was to have me pop DP as soon as the first stack of mortal strike hit me, but we lost our DK and had to 4 man the rest of the way through.
Melarisa

Re: [H] Utgarde Pinnacle: Palehoof question

Postby Pallyana » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 am

Melarisa wrote:Last night, did H-UP and got completely stuck on Gortok for an hour because of the Worgen mini-boss. What is the best way to mitigate the mortal strike stacking?

We had an excellent healer and even when worgen was the first mini to unfreeze, it'd zerg me down sooner or later. The only way we managed to do it was to have me pop DP as soon as the first stack of mortal strike hit me, but we lost our DK and had to 4 man the rest of the way through.

TBH I didn't even know he did a Mortal Strike. Either he dies too fast to cast it or our healer just heals though it. Either way I've never noticed it.

Sounds like though you or your dps might be a little undergeared.
2k DPS Prot paladin.
Pallyana

Postby Frickit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:16 am

Just one of those places that you shouldnt step into until your group is heroicly geared. It gets progressively easier...others are gundrak and nerub...really need some gear goin to make it easy.

My first day as 80 we got a group for UtKeep and got our first emblems...then the peeps who have been runnin heroics for a week say lets go to Pinnacle...I knew it was a bad idea and it was. Week later I breezed through it but no sword still.
Frickit

Postby Melarisa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:44 am

Well, thing is, I've done a Gundrak heroic with a group full of reg dungeon blues people, smoked the place without wiping on any boss. But, I think it was more of an issue of skill > gear there

However, AN boss 1 = GAH! (grind teeth beat head into desk)
Melarisa

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:03 pm

This is either a DPS issue or a tanking gear issue. I rarely see the debuff stack past 1 these days. If DPS are bad, your gear has to be good. If your gear is bad, your DPS has to be good. That's all there is to it.
Belloc

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 pm

That whole battle is a dps race. minibosses & boss.
quicker you get the minibosses down the less mana the healer uses.
We didnt have a problem with the wargen, but did run outta puff healing wise on the boss.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: [H] Utgarde Pinnacle: Palehoof question

Postby Veilan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Pallyana wrote:TBH I didn't even know he did a Mortal Strike.

That. Got this encounter down the first time on hero, so I think the problem there is not with specific tactics but the overall performance of the group.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Joanadark » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:03 am

where does Palehoof, the well-known green-poster official forums wit, relate to this topic?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby amh » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:21 am

I heard he does a Mortal Strike, but I never really noticed. Anyway, if he is the only boss in that encounter that should give you any headache, pop a cooldown on him? Takes some hard nuking to burst down a bubblewalled paladin :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:59 am

Melarisa wrote:Well, thing is, I've done a Gundrak heroic with a group full of reg dungeon blues people, smoked the place without wiping on any boss. But, I think it was more of an issue of skill > gear there

I personally find Gundrak still a lot of work on Heroic, but the only night I've struggled in UP Heroic was the first night when we brought two healers.

Never had a problem with Palehoof or his Worgen buddy tho.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am

Ulushnar wrote:I personally find Gundrak still a lot of work on Heroic

Interesting. I must be very lucky, then -- Gundrak seems to have been uniformly Easy for me. I'm not phenomenally well geared, either. (uncrit w/ 22k health is about it for me.) The snake boss is rough, but we've done it with no deaths (or one) multiple times now. Bring a rogue (or two!) to kick the transformation of the elephant boss (kick, HoJ, and then kick is too slow, it seems), and other than that it's just trash pulls. What's the hard part? (Maybe having a priest or shaman healer made it easier?)

Heroic Azol-Nerub, though, was one of the hardest I've ever done. Delrissa was harder, but not by much. ;) I'll need to go back again, but we wiped 3-4x on the first boss's trash, once on Hadronox (pulled early?), and 4x on Anub'Arak. Frankly, I like that. It was frustrating, but it was clear that it was a SKILL lacking, not a gear issue. (Healer was a skilled healer in bits of T7, too.) We just made lots of mistakes. I can easily see this becoming a faster instance once we get better at it.

I may try pugging AzN to see how others do it, or to not subject my guildies to the pain of the learning process. ;)

Also: Old kingdom. Wow. We had an interesting time with that, but we tried to get achievements (and succeeded!). Bring someone who can disarm (warrior, rogue). You can pull the first boss, fight the fireball boss, and then skip directly to the end: we had 20+ minutes left on the timer with the watchers' corpses. Then, we just beat down the sacrificing boss, and went back and did the achievement for Elder Nadox. (which seemed to make it easier; make sure your healer knows they can DPS too. ;))

Still, we wiped a fair amount figuring stuff out. Fun times; I admit that I like that there's a challenge.
Kelaan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I just did this last night for the first time and had no idea there was an issue.

On the other hand, Gun'drak with a different group was quite frustrating. The only bosses we one-shot were the Mammoth and Eck.

In some of these heroic fights it's amazing how much the DPS has to pull their weight. I think this one is just a case of wanting good DPS.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:04 pm

People keep saying they breezed through Gundrak, which I have too, but it isn't specifically easy all the time. Most of it is...but the first boss will stop a group that isnt prepared or who doesnt understand what to do. If they are weak dps, weak heals, or weak tank or any combination he will stop you.

Similarly the gauntlet in pinnacle can be a real pain for a new healer and tank (which me and my gf were) now its easy. The animal boss is easy, if he isnt then your group needs big time gear.

Having done Gundrak first boss with the water exploit doesnt count.
Frickit

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Frickit wrote:Having done Gundrak first boss with the water exploit doesnt count.

I've only done it after that was hotfixed. Healer up on the stairs, tanking in the door, with aoe and ranged dps to nuke the snakes seems to work well. It's definitely a test of DPS player skill more than tanking skill.
Kelaan

Postby Frickit » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Frickit wrote:Having done Gundrak first boss with the water exploit doesnt count.

I've only done it after that was hotfixed. Healer up on the stairs, tanking in the door, with aoe and ranged dps to nuke the snakes seems to work well. It's definitely a test of DPS player skill more than tanking skill.

lol cool, just making sure...I have yet to get anything but a melee heavy group...we LoS at the door and hope that he dies before we all do. Usually I am barely last one alive or I die at the same time he does. Either way the rest of the place is easy so if you can plow thru the first boss without wasting a lot of time, the place can be a lot of fun.
Frickit

Next

Return to General Strats