Remove Advertisements

Tanking Seals.... ?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Tanking Seals.... ?

Postby Skully » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 pm

okay. been trying to figure out a balance for quite a bit... and i just cant seem to decide what tanking seal to use consistently..

for heroics its usually Seal of Wisdom..

but in naxx i snap between seal of light and corruption.. makes a tough choice, aggro hasn't been an issue at all. which raises the question.. should i be wasting 5 points in "Seals of the Pure" or would it be more effective to find something else to dump my talents into?
Skully

Postby Taylia » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Generally, you have three choices. Wisdom, Corruption, and Light. Use them as you see fit.
Taylia

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:49 pm

DPS is DPS. SoV is your highest (sensible) DPS seal.

Re "Dump SotP". Put the points WHERE? There's nothing sensible to stick them in (unless you have no ret pally, in which case Heart of the Crusader).

Note that DPS is always good, and TPS can become an issue at Malgos, depending on how good your DKs are at stacking sparks.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Skully » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:00 pm

lol malygos was interesting without any DK's to help.. that was crazy fun keeping everything on me.

and yeah i like swapping between seals.. just took points out of 'Seals of the Pure'.. it seemed so circumstantial that i really rarely saw any threat benifit from it. not that threat was ever to big an issue.

Heart of the crusader seems more important imo especially in 10 man raid situations.
Skully

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:11 pm

I almost always have a ret pally, even in 10s. Thus: SotP.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Davor7 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:40 pm

That's the beauty of being a prot pally tank. We can change them to what ever we need for the situation. Light for the extra heals if the healer is lacking or a bleed is on us and make it easier for the healer. Wisdom for those long fights. But Corr/Veng for most tanking. Have good block gear and you got plenty of mana and threat going. Most fights, I have have SoCorr up the most because I get a lot of blocking going and my mana is just going up and up. Plus, if I have a healer with HoT's, it just icing on the cake. Plus the extra DPS from us help over all kill the boss/mobs faster.
Davor7

Postby Arnock » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:42 pm

On fights where dps is an issue, I'll twist Vengeance and righteousness.

also will twist them when offtanking

other than that, I just stick with glyphed vengeance, gives me a little bit of migitation that way, especially seeing as I got reckoning instead of SotP
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby majiben » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Arnock wrote:On fights where dps is an issue, I'll twist Vengeance and righteousness.

also will twist them when offtanking

other than that, I just stick with glyphed vengeance, gives me a little bit of migitation that way, especially seeing as I got reckoning instead of SotP
You're losing threat by twisting. Sure you're increasing seal threat but you're lowering threat for the rest of the abilities.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Kelarik » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Twisting was great when we didn't have ShotR but now we do and 969 works perfectly. Sure, with a little haste rating you might be able to squeeze in a twist here and there thanks to Holy Shield's 8 second cooldown with 10s duration, but really it's not worth the trouble.

For me:
Fights where mana's not an issue (raid stuff hits hard, lotsa SA income): SoV
Everything else: SoW
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby PsiVen » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:22 pm

No amount of haste will allow you to properly twist seals and gain any net damage from it once you get ShoR. It only wastes mana faster.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kelarik » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Thought as much. I avoid haste like the plague since it's totally and utterly useless to us.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Is this what you are talking about?

*Edit, sorry might belong to Asylum, keeping link*

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/03_03/sealcullREX0304_468x543.jpg
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Sarutankah » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:45 pm

I have started using Seal of justice for 5 man's, helps to cut down incoming damage in the intial stages. If I'm ret I will use SoJ for a few secs as well if the tank or healer is a bit weak.

I still haven't tanked anything 10 man.. I would be speccing sotp if I was tanking for a raid.
Sarutankah

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Sarutankah wrote:I have started using Seal of justice for 5 man's, helps to cut down incoming damage in the intial stages. If I'm ret I will use SoJ for a few secs as well if the tank or healer is a bit weak.

I still haven't tanked anything 10 man.. I would be speccing sotp if I was tanking for a raid.

Seal of Justice :O

You are doing it wrong I would say.

To clarify, if you need random melee swing stuns to prevent incoming damage I would much rather go for crowd control. Also if it's for preventing dmg, go judgment of light, seal of light and sacred shield.

And Seal of the Pure is not really needed, most of your threat won't be from Seal dmg. (Actually a small part of it will 8% my last naxx run).
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Treck » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:33 am

Tbh, using seal of wisdom is imo a waste.
Vengeance/corruption, for max dps and tps.
For heroics, you shouldnt go oom if you do, pull more.
10man, same as heroic tbh, if your tanking a boss, that boss should hit hard enough for your mana to get back. Tanked Loatheb [25] yesterday, in total during that fight i took 60k dmg (1800 - 2.2k BV) thought mana would be a problem but Divine Plea was enough. Thats with judgement of wisdom STILL beeing bugged.
If your going oom to much conserve your mana by withdrawing consecration from the rotation if you can spare the threat ofc, but no reason going 110% all out with threat on EVERY trashpull.
Im not sure, dont have any recorded info about my tps/dps, but id bet the seal dmg is quite some part of it (not like ShoR or hammer but still).
Treck

Next

Return to General Strats