Remove Advertisements

[H] Old Kingdon

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Old Kingdon

Postby Crathus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:42 am

Ran this the other night. Had a little trouble on Jedoga, but once the dps got on top of there game to take down the sacrificee then it was cake. Our big problem and the reason we didn't finish it was the Insanity (Volazj)! Had a Priest with 80lvl blues and he could not survive the 2nd Insanity no matter what he tried. It was mostly due to OOM problems because of the 1st Insanity. Any thoughts of this... It was cake for me (tank) and the dps once they figured out who to kill first, but our healer just couldn't do it. We called it after our 5th wipe.
Last edited by Crathus on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...
Crathus

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 am

Fear, shield and heal, the healer just needs to keep himself alive and wait for the dps to come and kill his adds for him.
Arcia

Postby guillex » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 am

Unless the mechanics were patched on Tuesday, you can LoS his Insanity.

Tank him near a pillar, and when he starts casting, everyone runs behind said pillar.

Or ... y'know ... so I've heard.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 am

Guillex wrote:Unless the mechanics were patched on Tuesday, you can LoS his Insanity.

Tank him near a pillar, and when he starts casting, everyone runs behind said pillar.

Or ... y'know ... so I've heard.

Ok, so doing that will make it so you dont get any adds at all and insanity ends immediatly?
Arcia

Postby Mzi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:09 am

Correct. We figured out that you can LoS it when we were working on Achievements.

Be it intended or not, we got it done. Some of these Achievements are just asking you to think outside the box. (http://www.wowhead.com/?achievement=2038 kiting Amirite?)

I know you were not going for the Achievement. But sometimes they can make the fights easier instead of hard.
Mzi

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 am

Will try it out next time for sure :)
Arcia

Postby Lightbreak » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 am

I average about 1600 dps in heroics while tanking as a point of reference.

The last time I ran Heroic Old Kingdom I could NOT kill the priest in my group. Even with a well timed stun and using every ability I have her copy just healed right through my dmg. And the rest of my dps was so poor that I believe my adds just de-spawned eventually.

Either way, I'm very glad to hear about this LoS trick. =)
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby Mzi » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:37 am

I usually run with a resto druid. When we first went in there, five people trying to kill a tree druid chain casting Wild Groth with no mana bar. Yeeaah that was a 10 minute fight waiting for adds to de-spawn.
Mzi

Postby Arcia » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:44 am

As a blood elf pala I can ussualy deal with all my adds without any help since I can interupt 2 heals :)
Arcia

Postby Crathus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks for the great tips; especially on the LoS trick :)

I was in the same situation, I couldn't kill the priest clone either when he is sitting there spamming greater heals every 3.0 seconds for 8-12K health!

But again, as a tank, its easy to just sit there and let the whole lot of them beat on ya until the dps comes to help.

Maybe a bit better geared dps (and healer) would have worked fine. I think the major problem was the dps not getting in to help our priest, causing him to go oom keeping himself alive.

Another tip... don't take a DK in there; that chain doesn't help a priest trying to kite. :P

Thanks guys

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...
Crathus

Postby Threatco » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:52 pm

The LOS doesn't seem to be working.

am I at the wrong pillars?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Hearthy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Threatco wrote:The LOS doesn't seem to be working.

am I at the wrong pillars?

It didn't work for me yesterday after having done it a few days ago. Comments on Wowhead are also indicating that it's been fixed.
Hearthy

Postby Kelaan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Damn. :(

I guess, then, it's back to having people take off weapons pre-insanity or something? Is stacking melee imprudent? I'm thinking it might make it easier to just let them beat on me while I nuke the healer's twin.

I foresee a lot of spider killing in my future, still need the belt and wrists. Can anyone suggest good group stackage? Last time I had rogue/warlock/hunter, and that seemed to work OK, but we were able to cheese the insanity.
Kelaan

Postby Sanctity » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:21 am

Ok, I hate Insanity. Now that the LoS thing is fixed (the pillars are now semisolid, NPC's can stand inside em) I needs a new tactic to try for the achiev.

Can insanity be outranged?

Were we to kite him back to the instance enterence (main not back) in time for the second insanity could all but the tank run out to avoid it then run back in to help the tank? clearly 1st insanity would need to be done elsewhere but meh. also, does it have to be enterence or are there any spots with convienient LoS obstructions nearer?

just a thought.
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Arca » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:06 am

He is leashed to his room, so no kiting.
Arca

Next

Return to General Strats