Remove Advertisements

How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Unholly » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Guild grp, moonkin, hunter and mage, they rolfstomp my dps, all over 1.8k overall, higher on bosses. Leaves me at 1.2-1.5k. maybe 3rd on overall dmg.

Pug grp, my dps is higher as they don't kill the mobs so fast and i'm usually 1st overall.

Just depends on dps skill, my output is pretty constant.
Unholly

Postby trellian » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:41 am

I did 2300 DPS last night... 35% of all dmg done overall. Screenshotted it ofc :P

Me and my healer lolled @ the 1700-1800 dps mage/dk :)
trellian

Re: How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Postby hoho » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:55 am

Arcia wrote:I leveled from 77-80 by instance grinding, one of the people I teamed with the most was a shadowpriest and he ALWAYS won the dps, ofcourse back then we did double pulls all the time so it was ussualy around 6 mobs at the time, now at 80 in HCs he doesnt du anyway near the comparative damage which is kinda sad.
As I said before SP (and all other dot classes) are pretty bad on trash. SP looses 20% damage on mind flay and 10% on mind blast when SWP is not on the target. Additionally if he doesn't have shadow weaving stacked up to 5 he'll loose 10% damage on all spells. That means if I have no (de) buffs then my first MB does ~20% less and flay 30% less damage. That usually means I as a SP won't get to my potential performance before I've been fighting for about 10 seconds or so. How much trash lives significantly longer than that? Usually only stuff with 100k hp. Often I find myself starting fights with non-optimal spells to get SW stack up only to find it drop off because tank was slacking instead of chain pulling (it wears off in 15s when no damage spells were cast). Much more often I don't bother dotting stuff up as it dies faster than they can tick.

So if you want to help SP perform well on trash chainpull, have lots of AoE and on 2-3 mob packs let him dot them up before starting nuking. Having VT ticking on three mobs alone is around 1.2k dps, anything else is just an extra. If there is a DK and SP throws devouring plague in then it will get propagated to all mobs in a second making it aoe dot for SP, I've seen it do ~10k ticks on aoe trash :)

I'd say doing good DPS on SP is much harder than anything else I've tried so far in the game (tanking on pala, healing on priest, dps on priest and affliction/demo lock). There are tons of stuff to watch, ~4-5 short-time cooldowns (<5.5-24s) and 4-5 1-3min ones. All the short-time stuff has different time and they rarely line up nicely. Make a bad decision there and be 0.5s late with some spell and you'll loose about 1-3k damage for the fight. On trash it shows the most.

Give us fights that last longer and/or have lots of movement or aoe and we'll shine, assuming we don't screw up :)

TL:DR
Chainpull, <15s between fights is minimum, about 10s is ideal. AoE is great, 2-3 mobs is worst.

Hm, maybe I should have just made this as new topic "grouping with shadowpriest" :)
hoho

Postby Ryu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:25 am

Wait what, how can you have DPS classes sitting below 3k? that's kinda impossible atm, unless they go afk during a fight :o
Ryu

Postby hoho » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 am

This is our guild first Naxx in WotLK. I myself am still wearing 4p T6 and some other L70 stuff while being ~5.5% under hitcap. In other words, most of the players are still awfully undergeared compared to the guys who have cleared it a couple of times. A friend SP of mine has cleared it a couple of times and is pulling 3.5-4k on most bosses, his guildie FF mage is doing 5-6k.

Also, the first fight I linked has lots of movement and no-dps time, second one is a bit better but if kiters failed to gather the adds up then aoe does little damage to them.
hoho

Postby Mandorallan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:04 am

I dunno the only time I am getting beat out in DPS is by other paladins the Ret's that I run with. And that's Ok cause i don't care about being beat in the DPS category although it's a nice change to do some dmg. I just hope that when they start crying that Prot Pally's need to be nerfed they dont do it in a way that makes keeping agro harder. Because in the end that's all I care about is keeping agro so that dps can do there Job. If the healer stays alive and I keep agro I have done my job.
Mandorallan

Postby DramaticBaby » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 am

Im usually 2nd or 3rd in overall dmg and maybe 3rd or 4th in dps.

Personally I think it's like it should be because it's much aoe tanking and pallys consecrating and hammering does alot of damage then.
DramaticBaby

Postby Mehnalas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm quite often scoring top dps as well. On bosses I'm usually the lowest, but trash I and I suspect all protection paladins do well.

This may be due to our oppourtunity to get the first few shots off on an enemy combined with our boost in damage plus th-SHIELD SLAM BOOM WOOSH IMMA POPPING MAH TRINKETZ PEW PEW.
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Re: How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Postby Cadarn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:37 am

Ursula wrote:I am consistently either top DMG overall, top DPS overall or second. Rogues, enhance shamans, frost mages and shadow priests are classes that are always at the bottom and have a hard time beating 1300DPS.

I was doing 1300 dps in BC heroics before the 3.1 patch on my frost mage. I'm leveling my pally first to 80, but I seriously doubt that a competent dps'er would have much trouble breaking 2k at 80.
Cadarn

Postby daemonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:34 am

for myself, i'm always top damage over all (except fro an unholy DK last night that made me lag like hell with their aoe spam lol) and usually rock anywhere from 1300 dps on bosses (from moving, cleansing, other misc spells etc) to 1600 dps on trash depending on instance and types of mobs/pulls. basically if you're not doing more dps than i am, you fail.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Nakati » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 am

Ryu wrote:Wait what, how can you have DPS classes sitting below 3k? that's kinda impossible atm, unless they go afk during a fight :o

I was doing 2k dps on Thaddius as a oom-going pallie tank trying to do some dps without snagging aggro from the warrior and I actually had TWO mages below me on both dps and damage done on almost every attempt... and no, they didnt die during the figth. Im still trying to figure out what the heck they where doing there.
Nakati

Postby Balanor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:29 am

I have only done heroics with guildies and have found that the people who are serious about their toons and are concientous about gear and spec will usually out dps me regardless of spec. I can consistently pump out around 1.2K dps and in the good runs have seen the following: decently geared mage 2.0K, enhancement shammy 1.8K, ret paladin 1.9K.

I have also seen the following: sub spec rogue with greens 600DPS, hunter 900DPS, etc. My position on the DPS charts seems to indicate how well the heroic run will go. If Im in 4th place only ahead of the healer, the run should be cake. If Im in 3rd place, it should be ok but some boss fights might be rough. If Im in 1st or 2nd, the runs usually stall out after the 3rd wipe and I call it.
Balanor

Postby Veilan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:53 pm

Made place 3 on Naxx-10 today, but I feel it is more a bad reflection on our DDs than a good one on me. The other tank, warrior, made 7 (followed by 3 healers... ugh, 3 healers).
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Previous

Return to General Strats