How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Postby Ursula » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 am

I am consistently either top DMG overall, top DPS overall or second. Rogues, enhance shamans, frost mages and shadow priests are classes that are always at the bottom and have a hard time beating 1300DPS.

Ret pallies, BM Hunters and warlocks with Shadowfury are classes that have beaten me in DMG and DPS.

This is a consistent pattern no matter if they're guildies or PuGs and I'm surprised every time. It's quite sad, and I really begin to question class and spec mechanics at 80 and how they're balanced. Whenever somebody comments on my high DPS I always try to make excuses for the DPS classes who are doing so badly, but I don't really know enough to actually justify why they're doing 1200 DPS at level 80.
Ursula

Postby Andryana » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:13 am

Overall damage i'm usually 2nd or 3rd sometimes on top, i just really hope that they don't nerf us, i really love the damage we are delivering now.
Andryana

Postby Losbullitt » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:38 am

I think the highest my dps has been was around 1500 and leading overall damage. Usually I'm floating between 1.2 - 1.3k and 1-2nd in regards to dps. If someone considerably outgears me, then I'll take a backseat to their awesome purplesauce.
Losbullitt

Postby Belarkan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:04 am

On patchwerk, I was around 1500, rogue was 2200 and good geared (badges) mage was about 2700.
Belarkan

Postby Arees » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:24 am

I'm only 78, but I am consistently on top or #2 in the instances I have tanked so far as well. Then, I hopped on my mage (who was my main for a couple years before I made my pally) who is specced frost and at level 71 to do utgarde keep with some guildies that had been leveling death knights. My dps was good compared to how it was before 3.0 but it was well below the 2 70 death knights in the group. I was doing about 900 dps while the DKs (even the one tanking) was putting out 12 - 13k dps. This was even with the talent that can sometimes count your next two spells as if the target were frozen (basically guaranteeing a crit) and with the instant, no mana fireball. I was really surprised at how poor my dps was comparatively.
Arees

Postby antiy4ho0 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 am

Most of my pugs I'm in I top DPS and damage done. Its pretty annoying and it makes me wish my guildies would level faster. My DPS is anywhere between 1.3-2k depending on how many mobs are in the pull. (Only place i've been able to hit 2k consistently is in VH mostly on the Arrakoa Boss, I've done VH like 6-7 times and the 2-3 times we got the Arrakoa I was around 2k) My guildie Rogue, Phordel Does around 2k consistently. Haven't ran with any other impressive DPS =/ Most hover around 1k.
antiy4ho0

Postby Rorshach » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Once you get into a main raid (25 man) and your guildies catch up with your gear you will definitely slip off the top 5 DPS list and that is as it should be. If we were consistently #1, 2 or 3 for DPS in raids why would we bring DPS classes when we can just bring DPS Tanks and all have 35k health and DPS the bosses down as well. Would make it very easy on the healers . . .

But really, as long as you don't slip off the top TPS spot you have no worries.
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby Neara » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:41 pm

I always like to say:

topping DM doesn't show how good you are, but only how bad the others were :)

In most PuGs i'm at the top, with 5% dmg to the next. It's not even funny if you realise that you've forgotten Righteous Fury and no one pulled a Mob off you.

But from time to time i have some good DPS with me, and i'm placed 4th like i should and i noticed: heroics with around 7-8k group-DPS are damn easy, everything just .. dies :D
Neara

Postby Levantine » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Mmm. Topping damage meters in 5mans means jack all other than showing how bad the rest of the pug was.

Most pugs I'm in on my Priest result in me stomping everone on damage done. I don't have Mind Sear yet. Whenever I run with my guild or people from Srs Bsns I get stomped.
Levantine

Postby Ursula » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am

Levantine wrote:Mmm. Topping damage meters in 5mans means jack all other than showing how bad the rest of the pug was.

Does anyone else find this slightly contradictory?

I mean...there's just so many things wrong with that =S
Ursula

Postby berbo2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:41 am

PuGs - 1st or 2nd depending if one of my pocket DPSers is with me.

My heroic group - always last (well infront of the healer thou).

What I observed is that the performance of the DPSers greatly depends on their knowledge of the heroic we are running. On Sunday we start with a PuG in UK - the ret was putting out 2k+. Then we went Pinnacle and his dps dropped down drasticly as it came out he have never done it in heroic. In UK I was 4th, in UP - 1st. Same group, same players.
berbo2

Re: How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Postby hoho » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 am

Ursula wrote:frost mages and shadow priests are classes that are always at the bottom and have a hard time beating 1300DPS.
As a shadowpriest I rarely put up dots on trash mobs as they die so fast they don't get a chance to tick. Without dots on mbosand self-buffs at max my nukes do 20-25% less damage than they should. It's hard for me to break 1.3k in heroics or normals but awfully easy to get 2.5-2.8k on tank&spank bosses in 25-man Naxx. On trash with <4 mobs my AoE is also pretty bad doing about as much damage as single-target nuking. Give me 5+ mobs and I'll be doing the most damage compared to any other class/spec :)
hoho

Postby Kracus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:29 am

In general pugs I beat out. Some good dps I can beat out in certain instances with a lot of multiple mob pulls like UK. But that is overall.

Though it is funny that on Thaddius (I believe) I beat out a lot there as well, but that is mainly cause people have to move back and forth :).
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Postby amh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:17 am

Ursula wrote:
Levantine wrote:Mmm. Topping damage meters in 5mans means jack all other than showing how bad the rest of the pug was.

Does anyone else find this slightly contradictory?

I mean...there's just so many things wrong with that =S

Not really? We have to differentiate between trash and bosses, but you´re "supposed" to generate threat, not to put damage derr. Staying ahead of a tankadin on trash can be hard, since mobs die so quickly.

Beating your dps-specced dps-classes on a boss, however, means they are underperforming and/or undergeared. Undergeared I can live with, but slacking is a no-go ;)

I think every single class can do proper dps after just hitting 80 and visiting the trainer. I still can´t break 2k dps when I´m tanking most bosses (unless there´s adds), so staying above me really isn´t all that hard. On trash I´m a bloody beast, so it skews the damage meters again :)

This post is too long, I have no idea what the original topic was about -_-
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: How does your DPS compare to the DPS classes?

Postby Arcia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 am

Im ussaly 2nd-3rd on total damage done.
Fury warriors and retadins are the only classes that outdps me all the time.

Mages and shadowpriests are most often pretty far behind, Ive been thinking about not invite them to HCs any more since that doesnt really look like their cup of tea.

hoho wrote:Give me 5+ mobs and I'll be doing the most damage compared to any other class/spec :)

I leveled from 77-80 by instance grinding, one of the people I teamed with the most was a shadowpriest and he ALWAYS won the dps, ofcourse back then we did double pulls all the time so it was ussualy around 6 mobs at the time, now at 80 in HCs he doesnt du anyway near the comparative damage which is kinda sad.

As a tank I dont like being 2nd-3rd in HCs I want to be 4th since that means the group has pretty sweet damage.
Arcia

Next

Return to General Strats