Remove Advertisements

Azjol-Nerub Achievement: Gotta Go!

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Azjol-Nerub Achievement: Gotta Go!

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Alright, let's discuss it. It was gonna happen sooner or later.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Zoltar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 pm

Does he burrow at a certain health % or at a certain time interval?
Zoltar

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Zoltar wrote:Does he burrow at a certain health % or at a certain time interval?

Health %. Around 75.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm

I may have an idea, but if this works, I doubt I'll be inclined to tell anyone.

Anyone else have ideas?
I rule.
moduspwnens

Re: Azjol-Nerub Achievement: Gotta Go!

Postby voitstarr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:30 am

moduspwnens wrote:Alright, let's discuss it. It was gonna happen sooner or later.

take decent dps? :D
voitstarr

Re: Azjol-Nerub Achievement: Gotta Go!

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:45 am

voitstarr wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:Alright, let's discuss it. It was gonna happen sooner or later.

take decent dps? :D

No. His burrowing phase makes it virtually impossible to down him in 2 minutes regardless of DPS. Every 25% he goes underground for ~45 seconds, maybe 30 at best.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby voitstarr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:54 am

do dots stick or does he wipe them?
voitstarr

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 am

voitstarr wrote:do dots stick or does he wipe them?

I don't know, but I don't think you'd be able to stack enough to take over 50% of his health.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Ossuary » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 am

75%
50%
25%

Each of these points Anub will burrow. The -only- thing i have a plan for is to dps down to like 78%, wait for him to start casting and then rammmmm the dps and push him past 50%.
Ossuary

Postby hoho » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 am

voitstarr wrote:do dots stick or does he wipe them?
Vampiric embrace is on him after he gets back out from underground so I guess dots stay too.

So, if you want to get him down fast get a ton of shadowpriests with decent gear. On my not-so-well-geared SP VT ticks for 1.6k, DP and SWP tick for ~1k each. In best case scenario those three dots will do about 5*1.6+8+6=22k damage. With three SP's that would be ~66k damage done on him while burrowed. Get a shaman healer with flametongue totem and bunch of few consumables and doing 100k damage with dots shouldn't be out of reach.

Too bad the nerfed vampiric embrace from 25-5% damage to healing. If it hadn't been nerfed you could have probably done it with four shadowpriests and healing coming only from VE :D
hoho

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:08 am

Ossuary wrote:75%
50%
25%

Each of these points Anub will burrow. The -only- thing i have a plan for is to dps down to like 78%, wait for him to start casting and then rammmmm the dps and push him past 50%.

Even this wouldn't work. The burrows last longer and longer.

Burrow #1: Two melee elites.
Burrow #2: Two melee elites, then two venom spitters.
Burrow #3: Two melee elites, then two venom spitters, and flying things.

They get longer, and I think that even if he only burrowed once, if it's the last one, you still wouldn't have the DPS.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby tagmir » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:32 am

Somebody posted their strategy already on this in the 5man forums. I think it was you cast something on him to slow his casting speed then getting him close to submerging and wait for carrion swarm then go nuts with dps. Supposedly you can skip a whole burrowing phase at least like that.
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=17111&start=15
Last edited by tagmir on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tagmir

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 am

WoWhead has him at 512,278 HP. That's 4269 DPS if he never burrowed to kill in exactly 2 minutes.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:34 am

tagmir wrote:Somebody posted their strategy already on this in the 5man forums. I think it was you cast something on him to slow his casting speed then getting him close to submerging and wait for carrion swarm then go nuts with dps. Supposedly you can skip a whole burrowing phase at least like that.

Hmm. Let me go and dig up that thread.

EDIT: Here:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 958#302958

Belloc wrote:The Anub'Arak achievement (Gotta Go!) is completed by using curse of tongues or mind-numbing poison. Basically, you get his cast speed slowed, get his health to the point where he is ALMOST ready to burrow, and then you wait for a locust swarm. As soon as the swarm starts, you blow all of your cooldowns (heroism is huge if you have it) and you burn him as hard as you can. If your DPS is good enough, you'll skip a burrow phase or two by doing this. I've heard of people having kills that involved ONE burrow phase. The reason this works is because he will not burrow until after his swarm is finished. You must still have very high DPS to pull this off, though.

Think of it like DPSing Nightbane while he is still in the air. Good groups could skip entire flight phases by doing that.

This is most likely the intended strategy, as well. Many of these achievements require utilizing strategies that go beyond raising DPS.

Well, that MIGHT be it, but that would make it inconsistent with most other achievements, I think. That almost sounds like brute-forcing it, which you CAN use for a lot of achievements, but for literally all other ones I've tried, there's been a "trick" or "catch" that made it manageable.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 am

In order to skip two burrows (the bare minimum, just as a possibility), and assuming you double his four second cast to eight seconds, you'd have to take just over half of his health in eight seconds. DPS him down to 75%, let him burrow, kill two adds, then DPS him to 50.5%, and hit everything you have. He has to die, because if he burrows, there's no chance.

512,278 HP x 50.0001% = 256,140 HP

256,140 / 8 = 32017.5 DPS

Your group needs to pull 32,017.5 DPS absolute minimum for 8 seconds. Realistically you won't have 8 seconds, though, because you'll have to react to him casting the spell, and it's likely that some of those 8 seconds will be taking up by GCDs hitting the cooldowns (Bloodlust, Avenging Wrath, TBW, etc.).

I'm not saying it's impossible, I mean heck, if somebody did it, they did it. It just doesn't look feasible to me.

EDIT: And it appears to be a common idea to post on WoWhead and tell others that you "brute forced" things, or that the only way to do things is to "brute force" them.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Next

Return to General Strats