[H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Ichoron the Water Boss
Phase 1: Tank and spank, he has a buff that ticks down to 0. At 0, he will do an aoe knockback and damage ability and you go into phase 2.
Phase 2: Water elementals spawn all over and must be killed. The boss will respawn to the left (facing in) near the lower level wall. He must be kited back near the entrance to Violet Hold to allow DPS time to finish off the adds. This is a good time to use the AOE damage controls provided for Violet Hold (similar to Black Morass beacons), especially since melee are very subpar as the adds do a damage and knockback upon death.

Void Spawn Boss "Zuramat the Obliterator"
Basic Premise: Tank and spank, dps him down. Do not attempt to kite him or the adds will be too spread out to kill efficiently.
Significant Ability: Void adds.
Throughout the fight, the Void Boss will spawn adds who pulse AoE shadow bolts at the raid. Unless they are killed the raid will be quickly overwhelmed.
How to Kill Void Adds.
Void Boss will place a buff on one random party member. The party member under this affect is the only one capable of targetting the spawned adds and this becomes their primary job. The buff target is changed periodically.

Erekem
He spawns with two adds. There are two different basic strategies to defeating him.
Strategy 1: Ignore the adds and burn him down. Remember to stop any healing and purge/dispel any buffs.
Strategy 2: Kill one add. This will enrage Erekem and Divine Protection must be used, and any other cool downs help.
Notable tactics: The adds may can be hexxed and mind controlled, and supposedly both of these ignore his Break Bonds ability that removes CC/snares on the two.

Xevozz the Ethereal Dude
As posted by Vacc on wowhead.com, and editted by me.
Start the fight with all the party stood at either the rubbled ramp to the left or the stairs to the right. The tank picks him up and keeps him at the top of the stairs/ramp for 10-15 seconds. Begin moving up the balcony when the adds spawn and along the bridge slowly. Ranged and healers try stay ahead of the tank. The adds will come up the stairs/ramp where you were stood and slowly move along the bridge. You should move to the other side of the bridge at the ramp/stairs that you did not start on. Once there the orbs have a few more seconds before despawning. Move him back up to the top and carry on dps. Simply repeat back the other way as many times as nessecary the orbs will never hit the raid.
Notice: The orbs' teleport spell require LOS.
Additional Tactics: The adds can be affected by frost trap, freezing arrow, and probably earthbind totem. This would make kiting the boss out of LOS significantly easier.

Lavanthor the Molten Core's Lost Dog
Anyone within melee range must be aware of the frontal flame breathe attack that leaves a patch of fire on the ground. The tank must rotate this boss to avoid standing in the patch, and for this reason all of the party members should stay on one side of him to give the tank the other side as movement requires.

Moragg the Eye Demon with tentacles
The boss is tanked and spanked. He has an ability that reduces armor by 5% that stacks to 20, but this is applied so slowly that it is not significant. Most of his time is spent channeling Optic Link, a shadow damage over time ability on a random target, but this can be easily healed through despite increasing over successive ticks.

"Cyanigosa" the Female Azuregos
The boss if overall simplistic.
Ability: Tail whip
DPS should not stand behind her or else they receive a knockback typical of almost every dragon boss in the game.
Ability: Frontal damage
Cyanigosa does frontal damage that includes a DoT. The DoT is magic and can be dispelled and cleansed. Otherwise, the damage is significant.
Ability: Blizzard
Simply put, she summons a blizzard as the Mage spell that can simply be not-stood-in. Melee DPS should move through Cyanigosa to the other side to avoid tail whip.
Ability: Arcane Vaccuum
This ability summons everyone to Cyanigosa and you get tossed around for a bit. There appears to be an aggro drop, and Cyanigosa should be immediately taunted following the vaccuum ability to ensure the tank has aggro.
Elsie

Postby tbolt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for this, saves me from looking at each one separately on wowhead.

One question about the Ethereal dude however, after you kite him across the bridge you say to move him back up top and dps him. Where exactly do you mean by up top?
Say I start at the top of the stairs to the right, then kite him across to the damaged ramp afterwards, from here when you say up top do you mean go to the ledge on the left side?
tbolt

Re: [H] Violet Hold Boss Guide

Postby Invisusira » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am

Elsie wrote:Erekem
He spawns with two adds. There are two different basic strategies to defeating him.
Strategy 1: Ignore the adds and burn him down. Remember to stop any healing and purge/dispel any buffs.
Strategy 2: Kill one add. This will enrage Erekem and Divine Protection must be used, and any other cool downs help.
Notable tactics: The adds may can be hexxed and mind controlled, and supposedly both of these ignore his Break Bonds ability that removes CC/snares on the two.

A note - killing his adds enrages him temporarily. I just kill both of his adds right off the bat and haven't had to pop shield wall unless my healer really sucks.
Invisusira

Postby Ursula » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Tbolt wrote:Thanks for this, saves me from looking at each one separately on wowhead.

One question about the Ethereal dude however, after you kite him across the bridge you say to move him back up top and dps him. Where exactly do you mean by up top?
Say I start at the top of the stairs to the right, then kite him across to the damaged ramp afterwards, from here when you say up top do you mean go to the ledge on the left side?

We had to do a couple of tries on him today. Eventually I just ended up walking backwards around the upper storey of the room and kiting him the whole way with casters behind me staying ahead. It worked well.
Ursula

Postby Sybexia » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks for the review. I ran this instance 6 times on regular mode and wiped to the Zuramat twice before calling it a night. The other bosses were pretty easy. I'm going back again tonight to kill Zuramat hopefully... he has my pants!
Sybexia

Postby daemonym » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:31 am

for the voidwalker, don't forget about his buff that he uses that causes you to get stacking -20% heals when you touch him. it has a cast time so you can get a 1.5 second warning out when you see it coming.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:55 am

Regarding Zuramat, from wowhead.com

Spell reflection works on the shadow bolt volleys. It also doesn't consume spell reflect.

Thus, if the whole group piles on him, and spell reflect is used every cooldown, the group will be immune to the adds half the time. It takes a few reflections to kill an add, but basically with improved spell reflect you can ignore them and just focus the boss, or perhaps if someone with AOE gets shifted they can pop a few AOE's to get some down sooner.

:D
Losbullitt

Postby firefaxor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 am

OK does anyone know the exact mechanics\abilities of Moragg?

Have run VH heroic 3 or 4 times preivously with no issue (mainly with guildys) - last night ran it with a pug and had major issues, in fact we gave up after 4 attempts on this guy. The pally healer insisted that we stop all DPS when Moragg linked to one of us, however we never got him to 50% health before we all died.

On previous runs I just tanked and spanked and burned him down pretty - admittedly one DPS always died but as far as I'm concerned thats acceptable if the boss goes down quickly :D

Last night when he did the link we would all stop DPS, then the hunter would die, then the lock, then me or the fury warrior and lastly the pally healer.

I did say that I wanted to try just burning him down but this healer just wouldnt have it and refused and said we all needed to stop dps while a player was linked......anyone shed any info on this?
firefaxor

Postby amh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 am

Afraid I dunno what it does, but as far as I know he doesn´t melee at all when channeling, and I can´t imagine that spell doing more than 2-3k a tick. Basicly the preceding trash-pulls are harder than healing through this boss.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Wolvar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am

Some comments..

Ichoron respawns wherever he died, and respawns once an add reaches his "corpse" or all the adds are dead.

On Zuramat tell everyone to get near the boss as distance seems to prevent people from "seeing" the sentries and also mucks with tab targetting.

On Erekem, strategy 1 is vastly superior.

On Xevoss the teleport is timed. It's basically a penalty for not doing enough dps. Trying to snare the orbs will almost ensure that you take a teleport. Also, have the tank watch the orbs instead of timing the kite. Depending on where they spawn you can get a lot more dps on him before moving him. Also make sure ranged dps and healers stay on the opposite side of tank from orbs. (Move in the direction of the kite before stopping to cast)

On Moragg, healing through the optic link depends on the dps of your group. although I guess if you can't heal through it, you have enough dps to kill him asap even if you lose one. Basically whoever is channeled takes the same damage as the boss similar to the bonus boss in kara that was around for awhile.
Wolvar

Postby Parv » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm

I ran normal VH yesterday and got Xevoss for the first time. I wasn't tanking but the tank has us pull him into the water on the right. The orbs couldn't path into the water and just stayed there. Is this something that is doable on heroic also?
Parv

Postby Wolvar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Just say no to exploits.
Wolvar

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:22 am

I'll say yes to anything that means I don't have to run this horrible place again to get my drops. I need Lavanthors Talisman and the epic legs off the last boss, but it's an awful awful place. I've lost count of the number of times we've given up on this dungeon, because a wipe 3/4 way through means the whole place has to be run again. Invariably dps/healer say they have to go and it's another FAIL.

In my opinion, this stupid dungeon is far far harder than any other I've run in WoTLK, simply because it's so dull and repetitive that after just one wipe groups disband rather than have to run it all again.
Discus

Postby Wolvar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 am

It's the easiest and fastest dungeon there is to me. VH and Strat are the two that I do most often, almost daily.
Wolvar

Postby Discus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:08 am

Yeah, so everyone says. Weird because our guild finds dungeons like old kingdom rated here as hard quite easy. The problem is not the difficulty but the nature of the dungeon - wipe and have to do it all again for nothing. It's the same as a standard dungeon that reset all mobs the first time you wipe. Consequently guildies just quit after a wipe or two.

However, this guide will help - especially the tips on the void spawn boss. I imagine once the mechanics of all the bosses are worked out it is easy.
Discus

Next

Return to General Strats