Remove Advertisements

Northrend instance - Impressions so far?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Northrend instance - Impressions so far?

Postby masterpoobaa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Warning - possible spoilers!

Well i dingged 75 last night.
Not too bad an achievement considering i have a bit of a life(TM) outside wow!
Been thinking about the instances thus far... and they have been pretty interesting

UK - Decent sub hour run, though the graphics are pretty "meh more brown corridors" Very ramps feel about it. Last boss fun for the uninitiated.

Nexus gets a big big tick for level design, great platform area and crystal tree places. Last *boing* boss *boing* interesting *boing* to *boing* tank!

Azjol - Very atmospheric. Love the big bridge & spiders below. Also Extremely short! First and last battles were initially a challenge until we got boned up on them.

Old kingdom - Also interesting, Decor just screams "ripoff of menzoberranzan" however ;) Last boss is suitably tricky with the dps race on the sacrifical peons. 2nd last boss a hoot having to nuke your party.

Drak'Tharon - What the?!? This is supposed to be 1 level higher than old kingdom. We found it such a walk in the park. Last boss wasnt anywhere close to challenging, more fun than anything else, melle dpsing the boss in skellie form. I can see this one being farmed for badges come heroic.

And thats where im up to.. doing violet hold tonite, ive heard its like BM. FUN
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby cap_x » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:07 pm

UK – looks nice while you aoe the whole place. Very much understand the ramps vibe.

Nexus – really like the bosses in here.

Azjol – 4 pulls and your done.

Old Kingdom – really like it last boss = fun!. Much better than azjol I reckon. Can be annoying with low dps though.

Drak – Love it. Its like ZA with undead and dinosaurs can’t wait to try last boss on heroic. I pugged it yesterday with a fresh group that’d never been in there. Only explanation needed for the last boss was ‘when you turn into a skeleton spam 4’ also like the Mini Vashj phase 2 fight boss.

VH – I really like it. Its kinda like BM crossed with the last boss of Arc imo. 18 waves, protect the door, random bosses. Good fun. Last boss can be annoying though with the aggro reset and the water elemental boss is a pain too.

All I’ve done up to thus far. Going back into drak tonight to burn my rest xp and ding 75 X D

All in all I’m loving the new instances. Minimal trash, fun mechanics, easy to farm badges/rep.
cap_x

Postby guillex » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:11 pm

We've been running VH forEVER ... It's awesome if you're looking for a riot shield ... but I think the greatest return is for skinners.

I run with a kitty dps a lot for that instance, and he collects something like 40-50 leathers per run.

;)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby MonkH » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Maybe we should change this topic to be only about Heroic instances and raid instances.
Since leveling perspective depends on gear ofc ur gonna face roll leveling instances unless u throw away u epics.

Noticed alot of bugs with last boss in Azjol Nerub heroic which bit irriating.

Old Kingdom last boss is pain in arse to kill, well healers are, which spamms biggest heals and hots do insane healing!

I'm loving uldar instances HOL most challanging heroic imo. Halls of stone event bit boring, but occasionally quite intresting

Occulous or however u spell is is quite intresting especialy with last boss achivements 2 of the 3 achivements so far one more to go!

Violet Hold i find very boring, slow cant realy increase pace at all, just have to wait for portals should of made less portals and increased health per portal so fights lasted longer maybe.
(any1 tryed the panic button crystals tryed it once just for fun didnt seem to work?)

I like Gundrak choice of diffrent start locations and 5 bosses with not much trash and intresting achivements makes it very fun

COT Culling of Strat, i like sort of za timed style, but its fustrating being slowed down by npc while trying to do the instance. and malganis leaving at end, he just left he didnt even seemed weakened after we pummeled him to 10% hp! im dissapointed with culling of strat after having high hopes for it

Having done a pug Nax 10man trash was boringly easy and at points irritating
(example in spider wing one of spiders if got knocked back by shaman would death grip style pull u to it again)
after Patchwerk... WHAT HAPPEND TO ALL THE FAIL SLIME!? aww man! best bit ever taken out!
even so with only 3 lines had some druid who failed every attempt!

I think naxx needs some teleporters to get around. its such mission getting from start of zone to 4 horsemen

Wintergrasp boss also 10man which was was intresting from tanks perspective imo.
Trash was pretty fun also but died little fast it never got chance to take use of 300% increased dmg debuff.

(on side note wintergrasp rox! best thing ever! nerf rogues tho they just destroy siege weapons! think tanks n stuff need bit more health and do bit more dmg only a tad maybe cus some classes do more dmg than a siege tank!)
Last edited by MonkH on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daeden Prot Pala of EU-Frostmane.

Classes also played:
Druid, Warlock, Priest, Warrior, and now Paladin
MonkH

Postby Levantine » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:21 pm

Sweet jesus my eyes are bleeding.
Levantine

Postby PsiVen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Sent to the 5-mans forum.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Omamori » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:55 am

Depending on gear and party members, runs can be boringly slow or grindfest fast. Instances up to Gundrak go down in less than 30 minutes when I go with my guild mates (and I remember to switch from DPS to tank gears)

If you're itching to be near-death, go tank instances where bosses crush you. Eating 6k crushing blows tend to wake you and your healer up quite effectively.
Omamori

Postby Celles » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:47 pm

Guillex wrote:I run with a kitty dps a lot for that instance, and he collects something like 40-50 leathers per run.

;)

Not to mention all the Icy Dragonscales. I collected 28 of them in one run and sold them for 10g each. Tidy little profit for a 33 minute run.
Celles

Postby Celles » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Guillex wrote:I run with a kitty dps a lot for that instance, and he collects something like 40-50 leathers per run.

;)

Not to mention all the Icy Dragonscales. I collected 28 of them in one run and sold them for 10g each. Tidy little profit for a 33 minute run.
Celles

Postby Amarant_Pally » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 am

Heroic Oculus SUUUUUCKS! LoL

Other than that, I like 'em all. CoStrath is (here it comes) old after a while, with all the dialogue, but since it doesn't really start till you talk to Arthas, we just /roll to have 1 person do all the boxes while the others go afk.
Amarant_Pally

Postby mclem » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:16 am

MonkH wrote:Noticed alot of bugs with last boss in Azjol Nerub heroic which bit irriating.

Isn't that rather the point?
mclem

Postby Holyhomer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:35 am

Oculus isn't exactly difficult, it's annoying.

I don't like the drakes or the concept of the drakes. I like the rest of the instance, the three bosses without the drakes, but the rest of the instance is annoying.
Holyhomer

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 am

Cake.

A lot of it.

The only problem I had was with Violet Hold and I still don't know why two Ichorons spawned. :shock:
Losbullitt

Postby sapientialb » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:36 am

I did Heroic UTK for the first time last night, and even uncritable it turned out to be pretty dicey. I think I'll be spending some more time getting some normal 80 instances done before I venture back in.

The first couple of pulls we got our asses handed to us before we decided to make liberal use of CC. After that things got much smoother, mad props to our healer to pull through some interesting situations.

First boss: Relatively easy, once people understood to kill the tombs. (Aside: I still believe the MGT->HMGT method Bliz used is better than open heroics for everyone)

Second boss: Not too bad

Third Boss: We just could not pull it off. The silence was brutal on the pally healer. Phase 1 we finally got down but once he goes into "Crazy Shadow Warrior" Phase it was nuts. He has some sort of stacking debuff applied to me that I couldnt seem to cleanse. I guess I could DS it off during a darksmash cast but then I'm locked out of BubbleWall.

So I'd recommend not trying this at 20K HP or maybe a healer with more HoTs than a pally?

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Return to General Strats