Remove Advertisements

[H] The Violet Hold

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby TheBaldGuy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Epimer wrote:Regarding the Arakkoa boss, he absolutely destroyed me in under 3ish seconds if we took out both the adds. Never seen my health plummet like that before. The last two times we've had him, we've had the luxury of mage + warlock, and the boss was ridiculously easy with that setup. However, I think it'd be doable to just keep both adds up and on you, albeit harder work for the healer.

Very doable. Especially if you are tanking all three. If you have good threat (and you should) it allows the DPS to just nuke on the boss. This is important because he does a chain heal that is a freaking fast cast. I had my finger on my stun watching specifically for the heal cast and hit it as soon as I saw it start, but couldn't get it in time. Same for everyone who had a stun or interrupt. We simply could not respond fast enough to stop it.

I throw shield at the beginning, drop consecrate, hammer, then proceed with the 969 with the occasional shield throw to ensure I have aggro on the adds in case some DPSer gets confused. Our previous run took a long time as we were trying to get adds down during the boss fight - we wound up with the next portal opening while we were fighting the bird.

Just tank all three and burn the daylights out of the bird boss. Everyone should easily be mana and health full before the next portal. Easily.
TheBaldGuy

Postby Zeruvar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:47 am

VH is one of those instances where it can be so easy one second, and then absolutely annoying the next. 4 of the 6 bosses are practically tank and spank scenarios... until you get VW and ethereal. Now getting one of them for the day isnt that bad. But getting both of them on the same day... Its not even worth it atm.

On that note for the Ethereal, so I just kite him around so that the 2 orbs wont deal too much group damage, but is there away to handle the him when he teleports everyone togethere? its at this point most of the group dies.
Zeruvar

Postby Lightbreak » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:13 am

Zeruvar wrote:On that note for the Ethereal, so I just kite him around so that the 2 orbs wont deal too much group damage, but is there away to handle the him when he teleports everyone togethere? its at this point most of the group dies.

When he comes out, everyone go up on top of the balcony that goes across the back of the instance. Tank stays on the left ramp and picks him and takes him up top.

When he summons the orbs they will be on the lower floor and make there way up slowly.

Just kite him across the balcony away from them when they start to come up.

He almost never teleports from up there, not sure why not but he doesn't. In the event that he does, the orbs are up on the balcony.

When he spawns the next set just wait and then move from the right hand steps back to the left.
Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow. - Aesop
Lightbreak

Postby Zeruvar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 am

thanks, il try this the next time we get him.
Zeruvar

Postby Losbullitt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 am

First run, got the epic pants. 8)

2 for 2 so far. :D
Losbullitt

Postby DragonBlade » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:31 pm

TheBaldGuy wrote:On the VW boss.

Deadly Boss Mod popped up a warning to stop DPS for periods of time. The party decided to ignore it. We won, but he fight was tougher than it needed to be.

The next try, we figured we'd give it a shot. Down like shot. It was cake. Not sure why/where DBM got it's warning from, but heeding it worked great. I'd call out for DPS to stop and go in sync and it was a cakewalk.

Boss casts a Shroud on himself, when he gets attacked, the attacker gets a healing debuff (-20% in norm and -30% in heroic I believe) which can stack 5 times. Shroud Buff is dispellable also. Very easy boss if you just focus dps on the boss (avoiding the sentries) and stop dps on shrouds.
DragonBlade

Postby Brute » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:07 am

Epimer wrote:Regarding the Arakkoa boss, he absolutely destroyed me in under 3ish seconds if we took out both the adds. Never seen my health plummet like that before. The last two times we've had him, we've had the luxury of mage + warlock, and the boss was ridiculously easy with that setup. However, I think it'd be doable to just keep both adds up and on you, albeit harder work for the healer.

I have to strongly disagree with you. When we killed the adds yesterday he started getting Stormstrike/WF procs like mad on me. He was thrashing like prince and nearly killed me several times, not because the healer was bad but because he was doing ~20k damage in like two seconds.

He only does this if you kill the adds.

So IMO leave the adds up. You might (MIGHT) take more damage over the whole fight but you won't have those awful spikes. And as we all know, spike damage is what usually kills.

As for the Ethereal, do you just walk him backwards around the whole room, like up on the balcony, for the entire fight?
Brute

Postby Elderin » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Lightbreak wrote:
Zeruvar wrote:On that note for the Ethereal, so I just kite him around so that the 2 orbs wont deal too much group damage, but is there away to handle the him when he teleports everyone togethere? its at this point most of the group dies.

When he comes out, everyone go up on top of the balcony that goes across the back of the instance. Tank stays on the left ramp and picks him and takes him up top.

When he summons the orbs they will be on the lower floor and make there way up slowly.

Just kite him across the balcony away from them when they start to come up.

He almost never teleports from up there, not sure why not but he doesn't. In the event that he does, the orbs are up on the balcony.

When he spawns the next set just wait and then move from the right hand steps back to the left.

That may have been before, but he now teleports no matter what you do.

I've tried kiting him around the balcony and was down stairs when the orbs were up on the balcony and got teleported. I was on the balcony when the orbs were down stairs and got teleported.

I can survive his damn enrage (where he hits me for 10k damage), but his teleport almost always kills the healer and we're done. This is the only boss I cannot kill. Every other boss is easy mode compared to the Ethereal. If I get him on Heroic, I don't even bother doing the instance.
Elderin- Paladin (Protection) - Whisperwind
Consecration is my crowd control
Elderin

Postby Legacey » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 pm

We tried this last night and the VW boss just kept kicking our butt, three wipes and we had enough. He was the second boss, so it took forever to go through the first again. We tried killing adds and just straight DPS. Neither worked, we also tried the switches but could never get it to go off.

The eye was pretty easy.

For Ethereal we used the stair trick on Sunday and it worked fine. No teleport. We downed him very fast once we got him up the stairs.

Last boss seemed like a push over compared to Ethereal or VW.

Ichoron easy with high aoe dps, none of the pieces made it back to him.
Legacey

Postby Thornir » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 pm

I would like to note that if, on the Ethereal, you run backwards, you can still hit him and gain threat, but your speed is slowed, and if you don't have PoJ, the orb can and most likely will get to your group (unless you use the balcony trick). However, if you run forward, you can run at full speed, but you will be taking much more damage (can not block/parry from behind) and you can not gain any threat cause you ain't whacking him.

Solution? Strafe.

If you run sideways, you can still block and parry, still hit the boss (if hes close to you) and still run at full speed, while still turn with up and down keys.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:27 am

Definitely getting tired of getting the Water boss first every time I run the place... and having to deal with melee who don't know how this works...

had a warrior who was continually charging back to the boss when I got punted away... and was pulling aggro... no matter how many times I told him to stop hitting the boss...

wtb different boss anyways... getting old trying to kill this one for achievement
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Epimer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:35 am

Brute wrote:I have to strongly disagree with you. When we killed the adds yesterday he started getting Stormstrike/WF procs like mad on me. He was thrashing like prince and nearly killed me several times, not because the healer was bad but because he was doing ~20k damage in like two seconds.

Eh? I was referring to simply tanking the 2 adds being more work for the healer than CC'ing them both. The rest of the post refers to how bad an idea it is to kill both adds first :wink:
Epimer

Postby BeaNo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 am

So far I've ran this place and not had any real issues, the 4 packs towards the end tend to hurt more than the bosses, although Xevozz and Erekem were fun since we were learning while doing, still dropped first time. Been farming this place for a week and still no legs, and more annoying than that I've not even had the chance to kill Lavanthor.

Always fun DE'ing the staff because we never have a druid with us! (WTB smart loot drops).
BeaNo

Postby Sanctity » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 am

Ran this last nite.

Trash was a joke.
Got Ethreal, kited him round out of LoS of orbs, easy.
More Trash
Got voidy ><
1st try healer got debuff twice
2nd he got it once and i got it once
3rd i got it once dps got the rest

Some tips on VW, Save forberence. Have DBM or w/e anounce the stop dps thing cos otherwise your healer can't keep up with the adds aoe.

More trash
Last boss, move out of blizzard and remeber to taunt after tele. /sleep.

No trinket, gloves or legs =(

I ran 5 heroics yesterday and got 3 out of a potential 13 drops i wanted. none of the 4 possible epics. /sadpanda.
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Brute » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:32 am

Epimer wrote:
Brute wrote:I have to strongly disagree with you. When we killed the adds yesterday he started getting Stormstrike/WF procs like mad on me. He was thrashing like prince and nearly killed me several times, not because the healer was bad but because he was doing ~20k damage in like two seconds.

Eh? I was referring to simply tanking the 2 adds being more work for the healer than CC'ing them both. The rest of the post refers to how bad an idea it is to kill both adds first :wink:

whuts cc? (lol) ok yeah I see.
Brute

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats