Remove Advertisements

[H] The Violet Hold

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] The Violet Hold

Postby Ursula » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Did this with a paladin healer, mage, hunter, and rogue.

We got Lavanthor, the big corehound, which was relatively easy considering i had about 19k hp. Main thing for tanks to take note of is to move out of the flame wave he casts - just like Nazan in Hellfire Ramparts.

For the second boss we got Erekem, the Arakkoa. He spawns with two adds which you do not kill before the boss (on Heroic). I tanked all adds quite easily, he takes a couple of minutes to down.

For Cyanigosa, there are a few things to take note of - even though she's quite easy to kill.
-Dispel yourself to help the healer. She will cast a DoT and a mana drain if I'm not mistaken. You will see her casting it so I just spammed my cleanse before it could tick.
-If you have a BM Hunter in the group, his/her pet will always take aggro after Cyanigosa teleports the group onto her. So be sure to taunt straight away and build up your threat again. I believe this is a bug and it happens in every group with a BM Hunter. It's possible that her threat table resets to the second highest melee but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm curious to see what people have to say about the other bosses.

Apart from that we didn't wipe once. My health dropped low quite frequently so it wasn't an easy breezy experience, but no paladin tank should have too much trouble tanking if you have 78-80 blues.

P.S I got the epic legs first go! :-)
Ursula

Postby guillex » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:52 am

Hold on a second ... There's another boss that spawns first? It's not the Eye all the time?

Even on Heroic?

I'm quite surprised ... I'm only 75, but I've run VH about 6 times in a row, and always had the eye mob spawn first.

Interesting to note that you don't kill the adds for the arrakoa boss before him ... What happens if you do? Does he gain a buff?
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Promdates » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:59 am

6 different bosses that spawn between the first 2 portals. So you'll get 2 of the 6. I've ran this twice on heroic and have gotten 4 different ones (the etheral guy, core hound, eye, akkora).

As for the last boss, she'll teleport everyone into her body, and resets aggro. Just shield slam and you'll be good (atleast, that's how it is for me. 6k crit shield slams is pro, and gives me about 15k threat or so lol)
Promdates

Re: [H] The Violet Hold

Postby Neara » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:46 am

Ursula wrote:-If you have a BM Hunter in the group, his/her pet will always take aggro after Cyanigosa teleports the group onto her. So be sure to taunt straight away and build up your threat again. I believe this is a bug and it happens in every group with a BM Hunter. It's possible that her threat table resets to the second highest melee but I'm not entirely sure.

I think it's something like, the threat resets, but the first one to attack gets a high amount of threat or the threat of the highest person before the port (like a taunt). That would at least explain why it's a Pet (works with warlock pets, too) 90% of the time and a meele for the last 10%
Neara

Re: [H] The Violet Hold

Postby Ursula » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:47 am

Neara wrote:

I think it's something like, the threat resets, but the first one to attack gets a high amount of threat or the threat of the highest person before the port (like a taunt). That would at least explain why it's a Pet (works with warlock pets, too) 90% of the time and a meele for the last 10%

Okay, I stand corrected. Either way it's quite simple to get aggro straight away but admittedly I was a bit slow and let the Hunter's pet die when the boss was at 5%.
Ursula

Postby Invisusira » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:42 am

Most of the bosses are pretty easy, cept VW and Ethereal which can be a bitch if you don't know what to do.
Voidwalker is annoying, he's basically Jin'Do from ZG.
Ethereal is annoying, walk backwards in a circle kiting him to avoid orbs.

The bird guy I actually DO kill the ads. When you kill them he enrages, but it's a very short, temporary enrage.

Threat resets whenever Azuregos... er... Cyanigosa teleports.
Invisusira

Postby Carnegie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 am

Has anyone gotten the water elemental for the first boss on heroic? We couldn't get past her. She was hitting me for about 6.7k very quickly when enraged near the end and knocking the healer and myself all over the place. Any suggestions would be great.
Carnegie

Postby Satturo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:28 am

Carnegie wrote:Has anyone gotten the water elemental for the first boss on heroic? We couldn't get past her. She was hitting me for about 6.7k very quickly when enraged near the end and knocking the healer and myself all over the place. Any suggestions would be great.

Just let the tank hit her and kill all the water elemental mobs that spawn. That's what kills her.
Satturo

Postby gwayne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 am

Carnegie wrote:Has anyone gotten the water elemental for the first boss on heroic? We couldn't get past her. She was hitting me for about 6.7k very quickly when enraged near the end and knocking the healer and myself all over the place. Any suggestions would be great.

Divine protection and nuke? She has like 5% health left when she enrages without the shield. You should be able to finish her off before she does any serious damage.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby mclem » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:45 am

Invisusira wrote:Most of the bosses are pretty easy, cept VW and Ethereal which can be a bitch if you don't know what to do.

We had an attempt yesterday and got the ethereal, and just couldn't take him down - but we weren't sure exactly what the problem is. Well, no, let me rephrase that: it was obvious what the problem was. Me taking a 22k hit immediately after being ported. The mystery for us was just how to control that enrage - not least because sometimes it was 10k and sometimes the normal 5k hit.

I'm aware you can LoS the teleport but I'm not convinced that's the intended strategy; there's no real hints that the orbs should be LoSed. It feels like an exploit to me.
mclem

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 am

Invisusira wrote:Most of the bosses are pretty easy, cept VW and Ethereal which can be a bitch if you don't know what to do.

The bird guy I actually DO kill the ads. When you kill them he enrages, but it's a very short, temporary enrage.

Threat resets whenever Azuregos... er... Cyanigosa teleports.

Oh they must have changed it from beta, when you killed the adds then it was a permanent enrage. I was pretty well geared so the healer could heal through it, but he went oom before he died. Next attempt we killed him first pretty easily.

I haven't run this yet in current heroic form, but I'd still recommend that if you are sporting blues and greens to take out the adds first.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby sapientialb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:22 am

How are you guys handling the void walker boss when the healer gets the buff to kill adds?

Its not a huge deal when I get them, he doesnt really melee all that hard so if I get whacky positioning and my back is turned to him while I'm killing my adds its not a huge deal but it just seems like once the debuff finally moves from the healer to another dps there's too many of the little bastards.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby lilbitty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 pm

If your ret and running with a war tank the void boss is cake , simply have the grp stack on the tank and have him spell reflect ( if hes speced into the imp) and no other attention is needed for the adds .
[url=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronzebeard&n=lilbitty]Image
lilbitty

Postby TheBaldGuy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 am

On the VW boss.

Deadly Boss Mod popped up a warning to stop DPS for periods of time. The party decided to ignore it. We won, but he fight was tougher than it needed to be.

The next try, we figured we'd give it a shot. Down like shot. It was cake. Not sure why/where DBM got it's warning from, but heeding it worked great. I'd call out for DPS to stop and go in sync and it was a cakewalk.

Focusing all DPS fire on the Arakkoa and ignoring the adds (after consecrate or shield to tank them) also works magnificently - another walk in the park.

Also, a not on the trash mobs: when the group spawns with a Sorcerer, burn that mother down. Seems to have a channel that also has a wicked AoE damage effect pushing healers harder than needs be. Burn it down, use interrupt and that mob is easy cake - plenty of time between pulls that way.

I've not done VH on normal, so I don't know how much of that is the same.
TheBaldGuy

Postby Epimer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 am

Regarding the Arakkoa boss, he absolutely destroyed me in under 3ish seconds if we took out both the adds. Never seen my health plummet like that before. The last two times we've had him, we've had the luxury of mage + warlock, and the boss was ridiculously easy with that setup. However, I think it'd be doable to just keep both adds up and on you, albeit harder work for the healer.
Epimer

Next

Return to General Strats