Remove Advertisements

Solo Onyxia (Level 80)

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Discus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks for advice.

440 is low? :shock:

It's uncrittable in Naxx/Heroics, so I assumed would be more than enough - what concerned me more was my lack of avoidance i.e. I'm not what used to be called uncrushable/now block capped.

I can up defense a little but it will be at expense of HP (currently about 24K unbuffed).
Discus

Postby Zeels » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:43 am

Discus wrote:Thanks for advice.

440 is low? :shock:

It's uncrittable in Naxx/Heroics, so I assumed would be more than enough - what concerned me more was my lack of avoidance i.e. I'm not what used to be called uncrushable/now block capped.

I can up defense a little but it will be at expense of HP (currently about 24K unbuffed).

I hope you realize that it's 540 you are aiming for.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Discus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:59 am

:oops: I meant my defense is 540 NOT 440 - just realised why you thought it was low.
Discus

Postby Pursan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Discus wrote:Ooo I fancy trying this to show off to my guild - Is it possible for relative new 80s (4-5 crafted epics - 440 defense - rest blues) or do you need full raid/badge epics?

I did it in Dungeon blues with about 21k health. Phase 2 is annoying but as long as you adapt your seals and judgments you will be fine.
Pursan

Postby phaqueue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 pm

I did it in basically all blues, with an epic here and there...

she's a complete joke...

from the first time I did it - I have never had to use LoH, DP or bubble... only "cooldown" i use is Divine Plea... and if you keep whelps... that's not even necessary...

Pick up whelps... and when you need to heal - just cast...remember - they changed how pushback works... I can get of full heals when I'm in phase 3 (meaning she's fearing) she hits for around 400 and the whelps hit for around 100ish... it's not even a noticeable amount when you have 21k HP (about what I had in blues)

Keep up light, keep whelps, and in phase 2 - keep her targeted... make sure auto self casting is on so that you don't have to target yourself to heal... and just chase her around... make sure you round up the whelps in front of you when you get under her... but otherwise just chase and hit her...

Don't worry about getting out of the way for deep breath... just heal yourself and make sure you have FR aura up...

I actually think that broodlord mandokir in ZG was harder than Ony is...

She's still a loot pinata at 80... even solo...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Seraphyna » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 pm

phaqueue wrote:I did it in basically all blues, with an epic here and there...

she's a complete joke...

from the first time I did it - I have never had to use LoH, DP or bubble... only "cooldown" i use is Divine Plea... and if you keep whelps... that's not even necessary...

Pick up whelps... and when you need to heal - just cast...remember - they changed how pushback works... I can get of full heals when I'm in phase 3 (meaning she's fearing) she hits for around 400 and the whelps hit for around 100ish... it's not even a noticeable amount when you have 21k HP (about what I had in blues)

Keep up light, keep whelps, and in phase 2 - keep her targeted... make sure auto self casting is on so that you don't have to target yourself to heal... and just chase her around... make sure you round up the whelps in front of you when you get under her... but otherwise just chase and hit her...

Don't worry about getting out of the way for deep breath... just heal yourself and make sure you have FR aura up...

I actually think that broodlord mandokir in ZG was harder than Ony is...

She's still a loot pinata at 80... even solo...

This, pretty much. I decided to give it a go on a whim, and at the time I only had about 510 Defense and 18.5k health. The longest and most frustrating part of the fight is Phase 2, but if you take the advice others have posted in here, you'll be fine.

Worth noting, even with dodgy gear, you should have no real problems doing a lot of other old world bosses as well. My advice is if you trust in your own skill, jump in and give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.
Seraphyna

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:58 am

To counteract all the "It's so easy I did it with one finger whilst making a meal and giving birth" type posts I like to bring an honest, unskilled noobs view to these boards so here goes...

Tried last night - took a LONG while to get there (don't forget your amulet cough cough!) and then was a real ego slap. Just when I start to think I'm finally getting the hang of playing a tankadin - Fail!

Phase 1 OK - I'd like to say easy but I'd be lying, had to bubble once and kept going OOM... gathering a few whelps helps but they hit me far harder than onyxia so eventually had to bubble heal.

Phase 2 - The first big spawn of whelps took all my 24k health in seconds with BoS, HS and Dev aura - who said earlier they hardly hit?! Onyxia hardly hit me, the whelps en masse were a different story. Then spent next few minutes tryin to adjust camera angle so I could see onyxia, keep whelps in front of me and just when i found her, hit for a few times she'd move - kept this up for a while and eventually died to whelps.

I tried this at 70 when uncrushable and it felt easier... Now I'm uncrit but a long long way off uncrush having only been 80 a week or so... very low dodge/parry. I'll come back when my gear is better and makes up for my lack of skill.

I'd like to do it once for the achievement, but given the travel time and the fact that once started you cannot stop or do anything else for 30 minutes I can't see it competing with mining on my epic flyer for Gold making. A couple of circuits round scholozar makes me as much cash in far less time.
Discus

Postby Zeels » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 am

I agree. These forums tend to trivialize alot of stuff.

- "Heroic shattered halls is piss easy". Yes it is when you have badge gear/full t6, it's not when you have dungeon blues.

For me onyxia was not very hard, p1 & p3 were very easy, p2 was annoying and yes I had to bubble heal several times due fireballs and whelps.

I might add I'm in blues and epics.

My point is, be a bit careful when trivializing.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Conaan! » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 am

Discus wrote:To counteract all the "It's so easy I did it with one finger whilst making a meal and giving birth" type posts I like to bring an honest, unskilled noobs view to these boards so here goes...

Tried last night - took a LONG while to get there (don't forget your amulet cough cough!) and then was a real ego slap. Just when I start to think I'm finally getting the hang of playing a tankadin - Fail!

Phase 1 OK - I'd like to say easy but I'd be lying, had to bubble once and kept going OOM... gathering a few whelps helps but they hit me far harder than onyxia so eventually had to bubble heal.

Phase 2 - The first big spawn of whelps took all my 24k health in seconds with BoS, HS and Dev aura - who said earlier they hardly hit?! Onyxia hardly hit me, the whelps en masse were a different story. Then spent next few minutes tryin to adjust camera angle so I could see onyxia, keep whelps in front of me and just when i found her, hit for a few times she'd move - kept this up for a while and eventually died to whelps.

I tried this at 70 when uncrushable and it felt easier... Now I'm uncrit but a long long way off uncrush having only been 80 a week or so... very low dodge/parry. I'll come back when my gear is better and makes up for my lack of skill.

I'd like to do it once for the achievement, but given the travel time and the fact that once started you cannot stop or do anything else for 30 minutes I can't see it competing with mining on my epic flyer for Gold making. A couple of circuits round scholozar makes me as much cash in far less time.

phase 1, on the far right wall, theres a little nook thats right past the whelp cages, stand in the nook, no knockback, keep holy shield up, judge light use seal of wisdom and abuse Shor bug, keep FR aura up

phase 2, once the whelps get your mana to around 60% start a consecrate, make sure your facing them, they should die within 2 consecrates, keep under ony and holy light yourself whenever you go under 70%, seal of wisdom and judge light

phase 3, use human racial, bubble, sacred shield constantly, first 2 to get rid of the fear, sacred shield to reduce the damage you take during it, holy light yourself if you have to, you can also be anywhere in the room, not having your back to the wall is a good idea, as you can get knocked back and get a heal off before she gets to you (if she doesnt port you)

yes, its piss easy, as long as you use those tips
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Valin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Discus wrote:To counteract all the "It's so easy I did it with one finger whilst making a meal and giving birth" type posts I like to bring an honest, unskilled noobs view to these boards so here goes...

You don't need the amulet anymore, by the way. You can just waltz in. They took the attunement off a couple patches ago.

And I'd like to know how hard these whelps were hitting you for. I literally stand in one of the whelp pits in Phases 1 and 3 and never heal at all during those phases. If you keep Onyxia targetted and use Seal of Light and Judge Light, that should be more than enough to keep you healed. The whelps are merely free mana.

Phase 2 isn't that bad at all, either. Simply use Sacred Shield. Combined with FR aura, only Ony's Deep Breaths should be hitting you for much at all as the Fireballs are soaked up by the Sacred Shield.

And granted, Sholazar can net some good dough, but 30 mins for roughly 170 gold, vendorable epics, and some BOE blues (total results in over 200g) and the simple pleasure of being solitary makes Only very worth it, in my opinion.

Here's my armory for comparison: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... s&n=Valpin
Valin

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:27 pm

I really don't think I trivialized anything that shouldn't be trivialized... I soloed her in QUEST and DUNGEON blues at 80... I think the only epic I had was the shield from heroic CoT, might have had the sword from Pinnacle too... but both are easily replaceable with blues/crafted...

If you have whelps on you and you're running out of mana... you are doing something EXTREMELY wrong... once you get to around 5 whelps... you should never run out of mana... did you have Sanc up? Also, make sure you have RF up... imp RF is still damage reduction...

ony hits for around 400...the whelps hit for 80-100 each if I remember right... a starting tankadin should easily have over 20k health... so the math... they have to hit you approximately 150-200 times in between heals to kill you... they are level 60ish... you should avoid plenty... there is no way you should die on this fight... keep sacred shield up... and cast holy lights back to full whenever you hit 50% health or so...

Essence of Gossamer helps a ton... but isn't necessary... just Sacred SHield and healing... remember - you can heal while getting hit... they fixed pushback... you will only get pushed back a maximum of 1 sec I believe... you can take a couple of hits to heal yourself... I was healing myself with 10 whelps on me in phase 3...

I was in DUNGEON AND QUEST blues... I am not over trivializing anything... I am telling you how it went... I used no bubble... no LoH, and I used vengeance for a good portion of the fight...

If you're level 80, in tank oriented quest blues, you should be just fine... if you're having trouble... it's not because "these people are more geared" it's because you're missing something that we've said to do to make it easy...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Bobness » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 am

Had a blast doing this.... about 25 mins in Blues/Heroic Epics.

only sketchy moments are targetting in phase 2 which can be annoying, other than that don't forget to use your cooldowns they just make things a bit easier.
Bobness

Postby hoho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 am

I've never bubbled on her. When I drop low on health I just throw some holy lights on myself after burning down whelps with concecration. Healing while onyxia is beating on you isn't too bad as you won't get more than 0.5s pusback.
hoho

Postby Discus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 am

I was in DUNGEON AND QUEST blues... I am not over trivializing anything... I am telling you how it went... I used no bubble... no LoH, and I used vengeance for a good portion of the fight...

It wasn't me who made the trivialisation accusation, it was a poster after me.

My post was designed for the people reading out there thinking - I tried and failed, I must suck. Well me too :lol:
Discus

Postby Brute » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 am

I'm going to start doing this twice a week for bags and the ~150g. Its cake for me. I'm in mostly iLvl 200 epics with some iLvl 200 blues. I used seal/judgement of light and let the whelps try to hit me to regen my mana.

The things you have to make sure you're doing:

1. Keep the whelps in front of you so they give you mana but don't hurt you.

2. Keep whelps on you at all times, around 5-6. I fought phase 1 in the whelp pit with a full tank cycle, and the whelps kept my mana up.

3. Remember to heal yourself and use Sacred Shield when you need it and that the damage won't be that bad. ~3 holy lights and you'll be topped off, and in a few seconds you'll be at full mana again from the whelps.
Brute

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats