Remove Advertisements

Which heroics are the easiest?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Lanicus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 am

Lanicus wrote:I miss BC heroics. I was king there.

Somehow my groups have been FAILING at heroics. I made sure I didn't touch a foot on heroic ground until I had 20k+ hp/armor and 540 defense. Here I am now:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Lanicus

I've tried Gundrak - wiped on the first boss several times and gave up - either poison nova was killing people or the adds would run straight through my consecrate making a beeline for the healer. I've tried UP - wiped on the 2nd boss on the worm miniboss because the healers couldnt keep the party healed after he turns and spits. I've tried VH - wiped on the demon hound (this time I was with a druid healer in greens with 11k mana). Tried Nexus and wiped on the heroic boss because our hunters wouldnt keep the clerics CC'ed.

We cleared UK without a death. That's IT. I used the same healer on 3/4 of those. Priest healer (not posting his armory so it's not calling him out), spellpower is something like 1500, almost 16k mana, regen is 748/246...He seems geared enough and I believe I meet the baseline based on heroic gear. It's true we've had to PUG a lot of DPS because we're the only guild ever that's heavy on tanks and short on DPS - but it doesn't make sense that we struggle this much. I guess part of it is not knowing the fights verbatim and having to PUG DPS.

It's frustrating to see others succeeding where I have failed.

Let me amend this. Got into a good group this weekend and chain ran like 15 heroics without issue. Turns out my guild is full of scrubs. These aren't so bad. Now -- for the achievements.

Easiest by FAR:

Drak Keep
Culling of Strat
Nexus
UK

Slightly harder but totally doable:

Occulus
UP
Halls of Stone
Azjol Nerub (last boss can be tricky if you don't move away from pound)
Gundrak (really the first boss is the only slighttly tricky one - need coordinated DPS)

I haven't done HoL yet, but I hear the last boss can be a pain.
Lanicus

Postby Jirroll » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:13 am

Hey all,

Just hit 80 tonight, very excited, and already did Heroic UK, which went well, no deaths. I'm in all blues except my helm, nothing lower than level 78 to use, and have Eng Goggles. I came on here to get an idea of Heroic difficulty and which to do in what order and found this post.

It sort of answered my question on difficulty, but how does one know when to advance to a harder heroic based on Gear alone? Or is that even a factor. I would think you need alot of epics to do say, Halls of Lightning, but maybe it doesn't work like that?

You can search me in the Armory, I'm the only one.
Jirroll

Postby phaqueue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:17 am

basically - this is what I tell people...

If you are crit immune... you can do heroics...

I started tanking heroics soon as I hit crit immune... and haven't really had problems...

will you find groups that won't take you if your HP is below their standards? sometimes... but realistically - long as you are crit immune... you are fine

granted - it will get much easier the more gear you get... but every heroic I've run is doable by just about any tank that can't get crit...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Jirroll » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:23 am

Well I've had my defense crit capped for about 5 levels and made sure I kept it that way. 23k unbuffed hps, and my healer always with me is a Druid, my Brother. So I can do pretty much any Heroic, gear wise? I don't plan to just jump to the hardest ones, but that's nice to know. I sure don't wanna run UK repeatedly. Haha.
Jirroll

Postby phaqueue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:40 am

I would say those stats are right around where I started running heroics... and I wasn't picky about easy ones...

if the healer is someone you know you should be golden...

I think when I had the stats you're sitting with... I was running with random pug healers...

my suggestion - try it out... at worst - you wipe a few times and have to pick another heroic to run...

most of them are pretty easy though - just pay attention to pulls and if you're having trouble with a boss... check online for a "trick"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Losbullitt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:30 am

farming:
Nexus
UtK
VH

Attempts:
Culling (mostly successful)
Drak'Tharon Keep (mostly successful)
Halls of Lightning (Loken has pwned me 27 times here)
UtP

i won't try:
azjol nerub - What the &#@^
Losbullitt

Postby phaqueue » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:49 am

really? won't do azjol? I think this was one of the first heroics I did with a pug...

really didn't have problems... even though I had never been there... either on regular or as DPS... pretty sure we breezed right through...

make sure you know how the pulls and bosses work...and the instances are really not that hard...

I would suggest getting a group together of friends if you're worried about wiping with pugs...

honestly though - I'm to the point where a full repair is in the 40g range (all epics) and I will still run just about anything with pugs... it all depends how patient you are

realistically - if you have decent gear, and know how to play your classes... you will be fine in any heroic you set foot into...
phaqueue

Previous

Return to General Strats