Remove Advertisements

Which heroics are the easiest?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Andryana » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:53 am

masterpoobaa wrote:What i want to know, how HARD is heroic with an 'average' party?
ie people who never got T6 gear, who never downed brutalis pre 3.0.

Ie a tank in seronite/tempered gear only, 500-540 defence with a healer pushing around 1000 spellpower and 1-2 competent cc?

Just as long as they are good players it's fine.. i started heroics last week with like 20k health 540 defense,800 BV and roughly 41% avoidance and did all of them just fine, and you will get upgrades from heroics real fast which will make them easier.

Start with Utgarde Keep,Drak'Tharon,Nexus and Strat in my opinion, only places that still give me some trouble is old kingdom because past the vampire boss, all trash seems to be casters..

One thing i'm liking is that the loot tables from each boss are a lot smaller than TBC, i'm getting all the upgrades i want from heroics really fast, actually only missing the trinket from Azjol now.
Andryana

Postby Mozen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 am

I went Holy and healed Gundrak heroic. I've got Northrend quest rewards plus rep gear, sitting at 1099 spellpower, 25% holy crit, 145 haste rating. This is basically what you'll get if you only pick up "left-over" pieces from quests that didn't offer a tanking piece you want, and then buy a few pieces of honoured rep gear. We had a dps warrior, a mage, a elemental shaman and a tankadin. And it was my first time ever healing in holy spec. I didn't even remember my Beacon until we wiped on the viper king three times. (No one knew the fight.) Then we sailed through the rest.

The tank had half Northrend gear and half T5+ gear with two BT pieces. After the two pieces of upgrades from the run, he's sitting at 505 defence, armory dodge+parry+block was about 43%. Only cc-ed the nasty casters in 4-groups. I was able to keep him up no problems if the DPS didn't do anything stupid. But I had to really pay attention and his health gets under 50% very frequently.

I'd say the easier heroics are very much doable by fresh 80s if they are not extremely bad players, and they've done some group quests to pick up a few pieces of good quality rare equipment.

If you add good CC or are with good friends, then I'd say go right in. You'll need to be prepared for a few wipes here and there if you're not uncrittable or if the healer is badly geared (like me). Also expect to spend much more time in there.

On the bright side, PUGs are mostly still learning the instances so they're not that harsh on wipes. Yet.
Mozen

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:40 am

Now-a-days I chain aoe pull everything in instances. I have pretty decent gear and sunwell gear held up well.

Basically, any trash that hits hard does not make an instance hard. It simply means you should have used cc.

What makes an instance hard are bosses with specialties to where if people don't move right they die. This includes heroic pinnacle's third boss, halls of lightning final boss, ahn'kehat final boss, and probably occulus final boss (haven't done on heroic). I would add Gundrak snake boss, but only one dps and the tank really have to worry about poison nova (and cast speed slow effects work).
Elsie

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:54 am

The Oculus boss is made much easier if you bring two healing drakes.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Elsie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Majiben wrote:The Oculus boss is made much easier if you bring two healing drakes.

The best make up I found was 1 red, 2 bronze, 2 green. Have the two bronze communicate their time stops.
Elsie

Postby Lopimp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:16 pm

all i can say was i was fresh 80 2 days ago have done both UK on heroi and skadis in the pinnacle is a pain in the arse if one thing fails..

any sugestions on rate to move up the hall with the mobs

Edit* sig banner isnt showing right stats for some reason
Lopimp

Postby lilbitty » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:34 am

I find the faster you get up the ramp the better , this will give your grp more time to shoot the harpoons and get onto the boss . after that just use the hallway to run from the whirlwinds . make sure your healer stays behind you and not near the harpoon guns or they will prob aggro the boss when he lands
[url=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronzebeard&n=lilbitty]Image
lilbitty

Postby oldboyz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 am

because we are not geared the same level (tankpoint and effectivehealth). Because sometime you have great healeur and sometime horrible dps... we all have a different perception of difficulty for a same instance

so i'm trying to compile date in this post : http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... hp?t=17670

it is for those who don't want to wait to have the full set and the perfect team in order to start heroic
oldboyz

Postby amh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:11 am

Lopimp wrote:any sugestions on rate to move up the hall with the mobs

Posted this somewhere else, but since you´re asking:
----------
And the gauntlet-part is probably the easiest part of the encounter.

gauntlet:

S=start
P=pull
H=hand of freedom
HW=holy wrath
HA=hammer
AS=avenger´s shield

1. run like hell, never stop. no healing, no dps
2. do not consecrate, you´ll need it in a few seconds somewhere else
2. hand of freedom just before the first pack
3. holy wrath the first pack
4. hammer the two mobs behind the first pack
5. avenger´s shield the three mobs at the end
6. bring them all into the doorway, consecrate, gogo aoe

As long as you keep moving - all the time - you will not see any random mob-behavior. The gauntlet is the same every single time, and it´s very easy once you get the hang of it!
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Wow, that's a slick diagram and explanation. Hopefully it gets crossposted to the Heroic version's specific strats thread. :) Do you have to worry about getting hit in the back by the mobs behind you, or can you strafe the whole way? Is that what BoFreedom is for?
Kelaan

Postby Treck » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:10 pm

I do it just like the diagram.
The adds do Hamstring thus Hand of freedom.
They dont hit for much enough to strafe it, BUT if you use Holy Wrath where the diagram shows, that means you stunn all of those behind you (taking even less dmg).
The annoying thing is those who trap you in a net, and then run away.
Tip for the achievement, run up there, wipe (DI/ankh or smth so you can start from there)
Even harpoons are saved after death, so everyone get enough (5) to take him down in one go for the achievement.
Have some dps go pull the boss, then you have 20+ adds to aoe down ^^ and nuke the boss down, easy in 3min :lol:
I dont rly see how you can get it in 3 min taking the whole gauntlet, getting harpoons, and nuke him down :S
Treck

Postby amh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:33 am

Kelaan wrote:Wow, that's a slick diagram and explanation. Hopefully it gets crossposted to the Heroic version's specific strats thread. :) Do you have to worry about getting hit in the back by the mobs behind you, or can you strafe the whole way? Is that what BoFreedom is for?

No need to strafe, just run :) Well-timed Hand of Freedom + Holy Wrath means you take exactly 2 hits during the entire gauntlet, and that´s from the two mobs behind the first pack.

(when you do it like this the first "pack" is actually the first three pairs, I think? Meaning they don´t get time to split up, so you hit all of them)

This allows you to require 0 healing until you have tons of threat on every single mob.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lanicus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am

I miss BC heroics. I was king there.

Somehow my groups have been FAILING at heroics. I made sure I didn't touch a foot on heroic ground until I had 20k+ hp/armor and 540 defense. Here I am now:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Lanicus

I've tried Gundrak - wiped on the first boss several times and gave up - either poison nova was killing people or the adds would run straight through my consecrate making a beeline for the healer. I've tried UP - wiped on the 2nd boss on the worm miniboss because the healers couldnt keep the party healed after he turns and spits. I've tried VH - wiped on the demon hound (this time I was with a druid healer in greens with 11k mana). Tried Nexus and wiped on the heroic boss because our hunters wouldnt keep the clerics CC'ed.

We cleared UK without a death. That's IT. I used the same healer on 3/4 of those. Priest healer (not posting his armory so it's not calling him out), spellpower is something like 1500, almost 16k mana, regen is 748/246...He seems geared enough and I believe I meet the baseline based on heroic gear. It's true we've had to PUG a lot of DPS because we're the only guild ever that's heavy on tanks and short on DPS - but it doesn't make sense that we struggle this much. I guess part of it is not knowing the fights verbatim and having to PUG DPS.

It's frustrating to see others succeeding where I have failed.
Lanicus

Postby trellian » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:01 am

my experience is that 99% of the time it's not the healer's or tank's fault, but simply the dps.

Heroics in wotlk require a lot more "do this, don't do that" from your dps. The amount of time I spent explaining dps to not run in straight after a surface so they don't get pound'ed is amazing.

I find last boss in HoL to be a great nub-check. I use it to decide whether I ever want to play with random pugged dpser again. If not -> report for stupidity... :P
trellian

Postby Veilan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:35 am

Jobah wrote:Which heroics are the easiest?

In my opinion, The Culling of Stratholme, The Nexus and Utgarde Keep are the easiest heroics.
Violet Hold is pretty easy too if you don't get the nasty bosses.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats