Remove Advertisements

[H] Halls of Lightning

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Makaijin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:51 am

The way we did Loken was instead of having everyone run in 1 direction on his Nova, everyone just ran in their respective directions, while the tank stays put and eat the Novas. We had everyone form a circle around him about 6-8 yards away from each other. His aura does do more damage the further away, but it's not THAT sensitive of distances that you need to hugging Loken. The Arc jump is only around 5 yards, which is a small distance. It's not hard at all to maintain a 6-8 yard gap and still be close enough to Loken for minimalising the aura damage.
Makaijin

Postby berbo2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:20 am

We did it the easy way -Brute force - all piled up on him and just NUKE. Poor thing casted only 1 Nova which is quite survivable. Group was - prot pala(me), druid healer, SP, Hunter and warlock.
berbo2

Postby Candiru » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

You can run around the pillars, rather than just away from him too!
Candiru

Postby mirkodeluxe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:29 am

We wiped on him like 5-6 times, then all but me ran out on the novas.. Shammy healer still died, but oomkin took over healing the last 35% and we still got the achivement for doing him under two minutes.

Had DK in the group though.. DKs are sick :shock:
mirkodeluxe

Postby Arcia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:30 am

Did this yesterday and got the achievements for first, second and last boss (dont know if there is one for third).

Group consisted off me (prot pala, full hc/badge gear)
Fury warrior (semi good HC/badge gear)
Rogue (newly dinged, crappy gear)
DK (kinda bad gear)
Holy priest (kinda bad gear)

First boss, easy, just nuke him down with his lightning buff active (will probably require a somewhat good geared tank).

Second boss, easy, just nuke him down, dont bother killing the adds, just make sure they dont get your healer.

Last boss, this was harder we wiped a few times before getting him down.
We tried to just nuke him down and have the priest aoe heal but his gear wasent up for it, it was close though.

Me, DK and rogue stayed on him for the first nova, I used bubblewall, rogue CoS and DK his magicimmune thingy.
Rest of the novas we ran down the stairs, trying not to run to far but just out of reach from the nova and then running back to him after the nova to get a few more seconds of dps on him, rinse and repeat until he went down about 1min 40sec into the fight.
Arcia

Postby Kelaan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Will rogue poisons, or curse of tongues, slow his cast time? That might be useful.
Kelaan

Postby Arcia » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Poison is a no go so I bet curse of tongues wont work either
Arcia

Postby Mindrak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:17 pm

The strat that I've found work the most often (killed him 4 times on heroic so far):

Start tanking him near his spawn, have DPS all clump with you on the south side. When he goes to nova, everyone runs south - spread out. This run is where you drop the dot, it'll jump until then. I've never been able to get DPS to stay spread out otherwise to have the dot not jump, it just doesn't happen with PUGs (and when they pay attention to the dot they die to the nova).

Nova finishes, everyone groups up on south again, go south a second time run spread out again. Group up on north after that.

South->South->North->North

It shouldn't really matter what direction you run as long as everyone is on the same side of him to start with, a DPS without runspeed will not be able to cross Loken and avoid the AE in time.
Mindrak

Postby Sarutankah » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:13 pm

First kill of this prat last night as a holy pally, just moving out of range then waiting for him to come to you makes it pretty trivial (apart from the intense healing you gotta do :S).
Sarutankah

Postby Loras » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:01 am

When I got the achievement it was me tanking, a resto shammy healing, elemental shammy dpsing, and I can't remember the other 2 dpsers, 1 DK I think and... Well, we just made sure that we're above 14k hp (our healer had 13.x k even with kings, so he swapped 1 gear piece and I tossed him 30 stamina food. Basically hugged him and nuked the hell ouf of him, while eating all novas. 2 shamans multi-healing FTW
Loras

Postby Maddok » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 am

Did this guy last night.

Prot pally (Me)
Resto Shaman
Combat Rogue
Death Knight (Unholy)
Feral Druid

Tanked him on the circle in the middle of his dais, everybody ran out (In whichever direction) and I dragged him back to the middle.

Group was mostly in quest/rep blues with a few heroic/badge epics, only the shaman had any naxx gear (one piece).

Killed him in like a minute and a half.
Maddok

Postby Pallypete » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:04 pm

We did this yesterday and got the achievement, we just ate the blasts. DK put up his anti-magic bubble for us on the first one, I used Divine Shield + Divine Guardian on the second to absorb some of the hurt (gotta click it off real quick though or someone's getting clobbered). We wiped a couple times, but then I told the shaman healer to make sure she tries to cast a big heal on herself timed to go off right after the explosion (most of the wipes were because she'd die).
Pallypete

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:24 pm

This is how I do it. Everyone stacks up and the INSTANT he starts casting lightning nova, every runs down the light beam to the other position. Continue switing positions every nova until he's dead.
Invisusira

Postby Ryyu » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:55 pm

Kings on all, NR totem/Aura helps, everyone stacks, Noones moves. 43 seconds fastest kill so far, Just make sure your healer is not a paladin....
Ryyu

Postby Mishdorf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 pm

I pugged this heroic instance last night. No issues whatsoever until Loken.

We wiped around 4-5 times before I called it. And in all those wipes I didn't take 1 single lightning nova - and this is on a 500ms ping time (playing from Aus). Yet the dps and healer simply didn't get out of the way in time or ran too far away and got zapped.

The whole thing is an exercise in frustration unless you take dps with a brain. This fight is really quite easy for dps with a brain (as they have Loken targetted). I'm more forgiving to healers as they have to pay more attention.

Blizzard have said that this is the hardest heroic boss, but I would say that the second boss from the oculus is technically harder - purely because it actually takes more coordination to do. However Loken is more unforgiving.

I really like this fight, I just wish that there were more non-retarded PUGs around (I'm quickly finding out, by running the oculus and this who the skilled players actually are).

One thing I really like though is that the heroics in WotLK actually take skill (and are not just gear checks like the majority of TBC heroics).

"mana efficiency is for people who aren't tanking enough mobs" - Knaughty
Mishdorf

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats