[H] Halls of Lightning

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[H] Halls of Lightning

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 am

Introduction

Probably the hardest instance in Wrath of the Lich King , be preared for some hard shit as bosses require players to actualy the thing they severly lack , THEIR BRAINS

Composition

Tank - Everything does quite a bit of wee damage , crit immune is a MUST , other then that nothing special
Healer - A lot of aoe and tank damage here , a priest is best , though a shaman works good aswell
DPS - This is assuming you want to kill last boss in 2 mins for achievement
1 Elemental Shaman , 1 Shadow priest , 1 Mage and 1 Boomkin ( or you can change for a second mage ) , the reason for taking casters is because you will need to move at loken

General : As you enter and after ya kill the first pack you will come upon a ring of platforms where the first boss patrols , go for right or left one and clear it , boss usualy patrols till here so just wait , the only mobs u have to watch out are some casters and the ranged iron vrykul wich knocback you , nothing hard though

Now the boss will come , you can try and make it so he comes with charge on him for his achievement , will just increase his damage and depending on your gear it might kill you or don't matter

HE is a warrior changing stances , in Battle Stance he does damage with a 2-hander and does slam on ya , in Berseker he does whirlwind while using 2 one handed weapons , and in Defence stance he does spell reflect , will suck for your casters but I found he did Berseker stance more then Defence stance

After ya kill him you will see that one of the platform leads to a room , clear the way to it and you will find it full with fire-rock elementals , now stop , this is a gauntlet ( mobs respawn very fast ) , and those mobs while NON-elite will do a shitload damage aoe when killed , at the other side of this room is a staircase you need to get to , simply pick up all the adds that come for you and move everyone to the staircase , mark a skull for the dps to kill and ONLY kill that or the AoE WILL rape you

Now go to the left or right , there is a pack on either side wich 1-2 firedudes and 1-2 steam dudes , the steam guys do a knocback to everyone in front of em for quite a bit wee of damage so nuke em first

Now go up the stairs to the left or right , depending wich side you choose to kill and you will find a room full with those elementals and a boss near a anvil , clear every single pack and then go for boss , he summons some adds at the anvil pick em up and kill em , after they die , MOVE away from their corpses they WILL explode at a certain % of the boss hp , easy badge , after he dies a door on the left side will open and the mobs in the gauntlet will all despawn , follow that door in a room full of lighting elementals and reavers , kill the elementals first , and go to your right there is the next boss

He does a ball of lighting on a random person , not much damage and every now and then he disperses into lighting balls wich move slow but do a aura that STACKS if you get to close to em increasing lighting damage taken by 2% per tick , so just simply stay away from em , they will move back after a while and reform the boss , rise and repeat

Now to get to last boss there will be 2 rooms full of mobs that are either static or patroling , pull the static groups first then go for patrol , be careful as the groups have casters , after clearing your way you will find loken siting on his throne , now to kill him

He does a arc lighting on a random person wich shocks nearby players , also he has a aura doing shitload of damage depending on how far you are from him and he also has a nova wich he casts ( hello murmur ) and does a lot of damage in large aoe area

Basicly some would say it would be best to clump up on him but spread to not get hit so much by arc lighting , would work if everyone had their brains and knew how to run but sine most people won't , the best idea is to , everyone clump on a person who knows how far to run and just heal the arc lighting damage , basicly when he starts casting his aoe small lighting bolts will hit the ground showing you the area of his aoe , move just outside the range of those bolts and you are safe NOT farther then that or his aura WILL kill you

Tell your shaman to use bloodlust and fire elemental after first nova and nuke him
Io.Draco

Re: Heroic : Halls of Lighting

Postby Janduin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:35 am

Io.Draco wrote:Basicly some would say it would be best to clump up on him but spread to not get hit so much by arc lighting , would work if everyone had their brains and knew how to run but sine most people won't , the best idea is to , everyone clump on a person who knows how far to run and just heal the arc lighting damage , basicly when he starts casting his aoe small lighting bolts will hit the ground showing you the area of his aoe , move just outside the range of those bolts and you are safe NOT farther then that or his aura WILL kill you

Tell your shaman to use bloodlust and fire elemental after first nova and nuke him

So the aura does MORE damage that farther you are away from him?
Janduin

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:41 am

yes
Io.Draco

Postby Ursula » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:03 am

Completed this minimal trouble except for the last boss.

He casts His AoE Nova much faster and sooner than normal. Here are some strats we employed which helped.

Tanks should always face him in the direction you intend to run, and everyone be on his front side rather than his back side so you don't have to run through him when he starts casting Nova.
We did with a disc priest with not that much trouble, so you don't need CoH Priest.
I had a macro "RUN RUN RUN RUN", which I was pretty fast with and I also had marked myself with Star so the healer knew when to run because he can't see the boss casting as easily as everyone else.
Ursula

Postby towelliee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 am

I just had most of the people I run heroics with download littlewigs which puts up cast on Nova so we know when to run.
towelliee

Postby gwayne » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:44 am

DPS - This is assuming you want to kill last boss in 2 mins for achievement
1 Elemental Shaman , 1 Shadow priest , 1 Mage and 1 Boomkin ( or you can change for a second mage ) , the reason for taking casters is because you will need to move at loken

I think you overestimate the dps requirements for the achievement on the last boss (taking 4 dps, 1 tank and 1 healer is probably quite hard too)

We did it with a MM hunter, ret paladin and arcane mage in normal instance blues. Took us around 90 seconds to kill him so we were well inside the achivement timer. Had a resto druid healing by the way. Wiped 3 times getting it right, but dps wasn't a problem at all.

One good tip is to make sure your party all runs in the same direction. If you spread out then when he finishes the nova he will run to your tank, leaving some group members a long way from him and taking massive damage from the aura.
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Senador » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 am

The instance was a lot of fun, did it this weekend on heroic for the first time. Had no problems except on Loken; and Loken wipes are entirely PEBKAC errors.

He reminds me a lot of Archimonde, due to the number of excuses I got to hear ("I lagged out," " My computer froze," "I was far enough, but I still got hit!" "I wasn't paying attention," etc) while people couldn't figure out how to avoid the Nova while not getting destroyed by the Aura.

We eventually went with the group stacks up and moves together. He has an annoying habit of repositioning wierd after the Nova though but thats easy enough to deal with.
Senador

Postby Carnegie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:27 am

The way we did the achievment on him was to not move at all. Our group just sat around him and dps'ed him down. Took us 1:14. We took a bit of dmg from the arc lightning, but nothing our healer couldn't handle.
Carnegie

Postby unboundarea52 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 am

Just a note on the second boss that runs to the anvil to make some adds.

They don't really have an aggro table, and dont hit that hard. IGNORE them and heal through their damage. Move the boss away from their statues and youll be fine. There is an achievement for doing this without letting him blow up more than 4 of his statues.
Unbound - Area 52
Prot Pally
unboundarea52

Postby Elsie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:59 am

unboundarea52 wrote:Just a note on the second boss that runs to the anvil to make some adds.

They don't really have an aggro table, and dont hit that hard. IGNORE them and heal through their damage. Move the boss away from their statues and youll be fine. There is an achievement for doing this without letting him blow up more than 4 of his statues.

You can get the achievement and kill the adds. Letting them run rampant invites your healer to getting whacked.

the best idea is to , everyone clump on a person who knows how far to run and just heal the arc lighting damage , basicly when he starts casting his aoe small lighting bolts will hit the ground showing you the area of his aoe , move just outside the range of those bolts and you are safe NOT farther then that or his aura WILL kill you

This is a terrible idea for the same reason it was a terrible idea on Heigan to follow someone. People will move on your screen after they have actually started moving. If you wait to watch and follow someone who knows what they are doing you will die to the AOE more often than not.

Far better advice is to bring a priest who knows what they are doing. Anyone with Power word shield on them can survive the AOE blast with about 3000-4000 HP - and it heals them slightly if I recall. This assures your healer, no matter how untalented, will not die to the AOE blast. Ret paladins are similarly useful since they can put their 500 damage absorption shield on the raid and instantly flash of light someone low or far from loken post-aoe to lighten the load on the healer. Shamans are, of course, good for the nature resist totem, lifestream totem, and bloodlust.

I find druid healers amazing for this boss due to their high mp5 (allows for worse dps) and aoe hots. They can keep everyone topped off during the runs without much fuss.

And, of course, anyone with a high damage absorption or invulnerability move (paladin, mage, shadow/disc priest (ps), enhance shaman) is an excellent choice to bring since it brings compensation for mistakes. Warriors typically have 20,000+ HP even as arms and can brute-force survive the aoe - but it's not preferable.

As far as doing the achievement, I would probably run with Ret paladin, enhancement shaman, and a shadow priest. This gives judgment of light (if not already provided), lifestream totem, three aoe-survivable dps, and vampiric embrace. Toss in a resto druid for AOE hots and go to town.
Elsie

Postby Neara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Lokens Cast-time can be increased. With a Death Knight in the group last time the cast was damn slow and the funny thing was, but i'm not 100% sure as we still ran away, the moment he reached the casttime the AoE normaly needs he stopped casting without doing his AoE. I'm pretty sure that i was too close to him one time, but i got no dmg at all.
Neara

Postby DragonBlade » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Did this and Loken proved to be brutal. His Lightning Nova radius is pretty small though, it even tells you the radius (when he is casting it).
DragonBlade

Postby Omamori » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Here are some of my observations from HoL - it being my favourite instance so far.

Up until the General you shouldn't have any problems. Only if you're really confident of your avoidance and healer do you take him on with his buff. Otherwise, meet him on the platform just before the forge when his buff drops. Bubble Wall when he switches to Battle stance and casts Slam as that's when it usually hurts.

Move through the forge quickly and try to kill the Slags one by one. Seething Revenants will Afterburn and increase their critical hit chance by 50%. CC and interrupt as needed.

My theory on Volkhan's adds is this: if he casts Heat while near a Brittle Golem, it'll revive it and hence not causing it to shatter later on. For good measure, when he starts casting shatter, Divine Shield and run within range of your party for Divine Guardian to take effect.

As you enter Ionar's room, try your best to get somebody to CC and or interrupt Lightning Bolt from the Revenant. Ionar itself is easy: get people to watch for his debuff and run away from everybody else and run away from the sparks.

As you enter the Planitarium, the single biggest threat in the whole area are the Stormforged Runeshapers. Charged Flurry will hurt you alot and likely kill a DPS. CC and interrupts are essential for a smooth run. Also, watch out for Sleep, esp when cast on your healer.

In the entirety of the instance, Loken is the PuG killer and even gets the better of many premade groups. Here's what I do and it has yet to fail me (provided everybody follows my orders):

Run up to the top of the stairs and wait from all your party to group up around you. AS him and wait for him to walk to you. Nobody should need to budge while DPSing and healing. When he starts casting Lightning Nova, get your group to run down the FIRST flight of stairs and keep to the middle (i.e. light feature pathway whatever). Let him walk towards you again and repeat down the next two flight of stairs. If you run out of room, switch around and run up one flight of stairs each Nova.

One more thing to keep in mind for Heroic Loken is that he puts a Nature DoT (non-dispelable) on a random party member and each tick of that DoT has a chance to spread to nearby members.
Omamori

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:18 pm

A "CHANCE"? Meh last night we did that, very easy place for DPS with brain (got all achievements in a row, including ninjapull of first boss with lightning debuff with healer who had never done it even in normal).
However, the debuff from last boss... managed to remain up for 3-4 minutes before it killed the person it was on rather than jumping :|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Vardr » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Observations from a blue geared prot pally, with a couple lvl 80 epics.

Achievment on the General isnt particaluraliy demanding. I did it easily with about 22k hp and crit immune. Still hes the second hardest boss in the instance. Kill the adds first and be on your toes with CDs.

Thrash pulls for the most part are pretty easy, might want to use CC on some of the triple pulls to ease it for your healers.

Volkhan is easy, and ignoring the adds is a very viable and easy strategy. You'll do him a lot faster and you'll avoid any shatters.

Ionar is just faceroll.

Loken is the hardest heroic boss ive faced so far. Although the achievment is pretty easy. FIrst time i downed him when only 3 people survived we still got it. That was with a prot pally (me), fury warr, rogue, warlock and a rest shammie. Druid healer makes him pretty easy though. Id hate to heal this one as holy paladin. just alternating between running up and down the central line makes it easy for everyone to stay close so you dont take massive aura damage after nova.
Vardr

Next

Return to General Strats