[H] Utgarde Pinnacle

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby leira_ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:44 am

just a little hint someone could not have noticed..

taunt on Skadi when he's spinning
leira_

Postby trellian » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:22 am

leira_ wrote:taunt on Skadi when he's spinning

this...

if he's not going for you, taunt
your melee/healer will be very happy :)
(if you're close do prepare to take a beating)
trellian

Postby Kracus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 am

It is only hard to deal with if your group isn't use to it, and that goes for anything. I find UK and UP to be cake runs.

For the gauntlet just keep consecration up all the time and have the healer stand behind you. Mana shouldn't be an issue cause you will take some damage and with Sanc up you should have no issues, spamming everything. Dps should be able to kill anything you initially aggro before it is lost. Anything out of immediate range you should either be running to or using all ranged undead abilities to gain aggro. Your healer should move to LoS when they can or just run back down. Use holy wrath when new waves come in to stun them judge whack each and wait for the majority to die.

The end, just drag new ones to them and holy wrath burn them quick and get the harpoons going, through AE at the door and have your healer stay back as standing where skadi drops is a bad idea anyway.
"The sun does not grant anything, it is simply there. And flowers simply bloom. Not for anyone's sake."
I am Warlock
Kracus

Postby Arcia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 am

Great advice on getting those achievements Rorshach, will try it out tonight and see how it goes.

Also as some others have said taunt the boss when we whirlwinds the wrong way, and one other thing, make sure you keep an eye on the dragonshealth so you know when the boss will land.

Anyone done the achievement on the first boss?

I tried pulling one of the abominations into the summoning circle as she did ritual of the sword or whatever its called, but I was having some difficulties positioning it so it would get hit by the sword.
I'll try it again tonight and this time Im gonna try just backing into the circle right to the edge and when the sword is about to hit jump off and stun the abomination, not sure it will work though.

Hi btw, long time reader, first time poster. /wave :)
Arcia

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:19 am

Yeah I have done the abom acheivement a couple times now, here's how I have done it:

first and foremost, be comfy with your healer as well as your DPS. The heals need to be decently strong since both the abom and the boss combined will hit for a decent chunk. Your DPS need to be more intelligent than the run of the mill pug, other than that, moar dps is better than less.

We let the boss get her first sacrifice off. DPS kills the three channelers and I run and exorcise an abom. I position the abom on the platform and have the DPS burn him to about 5%hp or so. Your DPS needs to be careful because dots ticking might kill the abom at this point. You need to time the 5% to happen 2 sec or so before the sword drops so you can have time to jump off the platform and avoid the explosion damage that comes at the end of her spell. The abom cannot be stunned, so you will most likely have the best success jumping off the platform like .5-1 sec before the cast time completes. The sword will drop and the abom should be caught in the explosion. If he does not die right away it's no big deal, it seems as long as he takes an explosion and is below 10% hp, you will get the acheivement.

Alternatively, you could probably shield wall through the ritual's explosion and survive, your healer will just have to spam a big heal on you that's all.

hope it helps!
Chunes

Postby Arcia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:31 am

Cheers, will try it out tonight for sure, thanks for the tips :)
Arcia

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:50 am

The first achievement can be obtained without killing the boss. Here's how I did it: We got an abomination down to 25k before even pulling the boss. I tanked the boss with the abom beating on me. When the sacrifice came, I was sacrificed, so I had an abom beating on me. At this point, I realized that my group probably hadn't done the instance before, because they did not kill a single channeler. The sword came down and killed both me and the abomination. We got the achievement and then wiped.

A smart group could do all that and actually kill the channellers.

And, yeah, the easiest way to do the gauntlet is to start it, pull a mob into the 2nd boss' room, and have it reset. At that point, you run to the end before the boss respawns. Have a DPS start the event and you'll pick up every single mob at once. If your gear isn't great, save your bubble wall for this point.

Also, to get the next two achievements, do the gauntlet, get everyone a couple harpoons, and then reset the fight. Pull the boss as mentioned above and simply have everyone harpoon him on the first cycle.
Belloc

Postby Rorshach » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 pm

Since there are a couple achievements that we have all outlined strats for, unless I missed it there is not one in this thread yet for the final boss achievement, King's Bane.

King Ymiron casts a spell called Bane that is a reflective damage shield kind of like the Sister of Pain in BT. It's either a 1.5 or 2 seconds cast so you can see it if you have any kind of target castbar (naturenemy, quartz, etc).

When he casts Bane all you have to do is hit escape. Only direct damage during Bane spoils the achievement. Consecrate ticks, warlock dots, etc can still damage him but as long as no one casts a direct spell/special attack or melee attacks him you are good to go.

You must do this 4 times, maybe more if your DPS is horrible but only the first time I ran it did I ever see 4 Bane casts, one for each longboat phase.

One final note: if your DPS is fast enough he will never cast Bane before he stuns you and runs to one of his longboats. I personally haven't seen a Bane cast in my last 8 runs now. Of course, in 15 runs now I still have not seen the damn sword drop either :(
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 pm

Bane can also be dispelled/purged/spell-stolen.
Belloc

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:59 pm

yeah good DPS is the easiest way to get the Bane acheivement. Although last night my group's dps was borderline weaksauce and he would bane and then stun us just as it finished, so we still got the acheivement /lawl
Chunes

Previous

Return to General Strats