Remove Advertisements

Generating maximun threat.

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Generating maximun threat.

Postby Sabotage » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:22 am

Just wondering what everyone does or any hints to generate the maximum threat on a boss. Opening skill combos etc. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Sabotage on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabotage

Re: Generating maximun threat.

Postby Girard » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 am

Sabotage wrote:Just wondering what everyone does or any hints to generate the maximum threat on a boss. Opening skill combos etc. Thanks in advance.

Max threat to start off a fight?

Pop HS, then Wings + AS, Judge Righteousness, drop consecrate. Really best you can do unless it's a demon.. (Then go Wings, AS, HW, Exorcism.. ~5-10k threat before your DPS even lands a blow)

During a fight, I make sure I have 5 stacks of vengeance and crusader judged.. pop wings, judge, refresh, consecrate, holy shield, judge.
Girard

Re: Generating maximun threat.

Postby corc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:46 am

Pop Wings + AS, then HS

Modifiers affect the entire duration of the spell cast, even if the modifier ends. You should have enough time to put up another shield with the wings bonus as well.

If dps needs to start right away JoR first, then do crusader on the next judge is a very good idea.
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Lore » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:14 am

I'm pretty sure Holy Shield damage is considered "cast" at the time of the block. Either that or Avenging Wrath acts weird and functions after everything else. I've noticed my Consecrate ticks go up when I pop it as well, even if I cast Consecrate before AW.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:26 am

Lore wrote:I'm pretty sure Holy Shield damage is considered "cast" at the time of the block. Either that or Avenging Wrath acts weird and functions after everything else. I've noticed my Consecrate ticks go up when I pop it as well, even if I cast Consecrate before AW.

Avenging Wrath affects damage during the duration no matter when you cast the spell. You can test this by doing Consecrate let it tick see the damage then pop Wings and see the damage for the next tick, they will go up.

Avenging Wrath is pimp like that.

Oh and spam your buttons I can't tell you how many times I thought I had SoR running and I didn't because I hit the button but lag/cooldowns fucked me over.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Zonzede » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 am

Vanifae wrote:Avenging Wrath affects damage during the duration no matter when you cast the spell. You can test this by doing Consecrate let it tick see the damage then pop Wings and see the damage for the next tick, they will go up.

The only exception to this is Seal of Vengeance. Poppinf AW during the duration will have no effect on the ticks. Similarly, if you AW and then stack it, the ticks will remain boosted well beyond AW's duration.
Zonzede

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 am

Zonzede wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Avenging Wrath affects damage during the duration no matter when you cast the spell. You can test this by doing Consecrate let it tick see the damage then pop Wings and see the damage for the next tick, they will go up.

The only exception to this is Seal of Vengeance. Poppinf AW during the duration will have no effect on the ticks. Similarly, if you AW and then stack it, the ticks will remain boosted well beyond AW's duration.

I did not know that, being Horde I don't have Seal of Vengeance.

That is actually pretty sweet.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Girard » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:24 am

Zonzede wrote:

... that I didn't know. I'll need to use that during VR next time!
Girard

Postby Bendekar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:00 am

Girard wrote:
Zonzede wrote:

... that I didn't know. I'll need to use that during VR next time!

Bring a slow weapon, I'm using the Merciless Gladiator's Gavel, and 1.6 speed is just not a reliable way to keep the stacks up :)

I've been wondering if I'd get better TPS using the Lower City mace and the AW/SoV opening combo, but haven't bothered to do the math yet.
----------------------------------------------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
--Louis Pasteur
Bendekar

Postby jere » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:34 am

It is also worth note that any trinkets that give a short duration temporary spell dmg increase act with SoV in the same way as AW. They must be applied before the first stack and can last after the temporary spell dmg buff wears off as long as the stack stays.

The only ability that seems to work independently of SoV is JotC. It is applied as long as the judgement is up and can be applied at anytime, before or during holy vengeance, for the same effects.

I think the reason it works this way is because Holy Vengeance is a dot and so once it is applied your current stats are sent with it, any changes in your personal stats/dmg don't affect it (it is tied to the target). JotC works differently because it afflicts the target and is not a buff to your personal spell dmg (it affects anyone's holy spells that hit you).

Of course, this is just a theory based on the behavior and trying to think of how it would be programmed (debuffs are probably tied to the target that receives them rather than the person that applied them).
jere

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42 am

jere wrote:I think the reason it works this way is because Holy Vengeance is a dot and so once it is applied your current stats are sent with it, any changes in your personal stats/dmg don't affect it (it is tied to the target). JotC works differently because it afflicts the target and is not a buff to your personal spell dmg (it affects anyone's holy spells that hit you).

bingo
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Girard » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:17 am

jere wrote:I think the reason it works this way is because Holy Vengeance is a dot and so once it is applied your current stats are sent with it, any changes in your personal stats/dmg don't affect it (it is tied to the target). JotC works differently because it afflicts the target and is not a buff to your personal spell dmg (it affects anyone's holy spells that hit you).

Of course, this is just a theory based on the behavior and trying to think of how it would be programmed (debuffs are probably tied to the target that receives them rather than the person that applied them).

Basically. JoTC is like the warlock Curse of Elements/Shadows.. only for holy damage.

And Bendekar, I have the sexy 2.7 mace from LC exalted, I'm set. But I noticed there's no other slow +dmg weapon in the game aside from that.. looks like I'm going SoR tankin if/when I get the next caster blade upgrade (note: there is no T5-equiv blade.. the Gruul one then not again until Mt Hyjal.. ghey.)
Girard

Postby Bahamutkotd » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:34 am

blade of the leviathan from tidewalker?
Bahamutkotd

Postby Afraithe » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:13 am

Casters will hate you for all eternity if you nab that before them :)
Afraithe

Postby Kaelie » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Afraithe wrote:Casters will hate you for all eternity if you nab that before them :)

Unless your casters are leveling prot pallies. :)
Kaelie

Next

Return to General Strats