Rule of thumb?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Rule of thumb?

Postby Brighid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 am

My guild did Void Reaver tonight, and I selfishly convinced the other officers to move the ret pally into our tank group since threat was so vital on the fight. Needless to say, I was topping threat through a good majority of knockbacks.

The thing I didn't like, however; I was at full mana nearly all of the fight. After a long few years of experience in WoW, these have been my first months tanking. But one way I've been evaluating my quality through the fight has been based on how much mana I was drowning in or starved from. I realize with combined autoswings and ground pummels I shouldn't be so critical on this fight, but does anyone else critique themselves in this way? I know I'm not the only one who feels obligated to perform at a certain level, being a paladin and protection.

And yes, I died at about 54% I had traded a trinket and boots for spell damage. But I won't beat myself up for that because eavesdrop says I went 6 seconds with only a 2k lesser healing wave :O I put that one on the arcane orbs.
Brighid

Postby Trevize » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 am

During any 25 man raid encounter you will usually not run out of mana if you are main tanking. That said, there are times when you do.

With VR you are not taking THAT much dmg and do eventually get low on mana. I always do but bottled energy ftw! Chug that stuff like it is candy.

Also, you do want to stack up on spell dmg for this fight for max threat. With a ret pally in your raid, you probably had JoW and JotC on VR at the same time which also increased the amount of mana you were getting back. When I tank it without a ret pally, I usually just keep JotC up for threat purposes.

Basically, do not sweat it. Once people learn to move from the huge ball flying at their face, he is a joke.
Trevize

Postby Puss » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:39 am

I usually burn all my mana on every fight, except when it's trash , then I go mana-conserve mode. I usually try and build a threat-buffer from all the DPS. I start with Judgement of crusader -> Wings -> consecrates highest level and basically use everything I can. I will have about 5 times the threat of anyone else. At a certain point I will run out of mana, but I will have such a huge threat that noone usually catches up. I use the mana I get from heals to keep my shield up. If the fight is long and DPS catches up , they vanish / soulshatter / invisible etc, so I have an even bigger threat advantage. I usually don't judge wisdom for myself, but when I see noone can catch up , I will judge wisdom to ease the mage's lives, since it helps them more than me. In exchange, they will dump aggro when needed. It's all about teamplay really , and if you can't work in a team , get help and give help , then you're doomed to fail anyway.

You help them , they help you. That's how it should be.

-Puss
Puss

Return to General Strats