Remove Advertisements

How to Solo Baron Geddon as a Paladin

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm

what is the current status of this strategy's viability in light of the recent string of nerfs? have any rets successfully downed geddon now that so much has changed?
Chunes

Postby PsiVen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm going to guess that nobody has since as of last check the servers aren't even back up yet from the patch.

But I have serious doubts. The JotW and SoL/JoL changes mean that you will be lucky to have enough mana to Judge and keep yourself healed with no other damaging ability thrown in. I'm questioning my ability to kill Ony again post-patch.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:01 pm

ah yeah, i originally meant the hotfixed nerfs, not even today's patch. I've been at work all day and thus ignorant for the most part that there was a large patch happening right now.
Chunes

Postby Mystakal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Chunes wrote:what is the current status of this strategy's viability in light of the recent string of nerfs? have any rets successfully downed geddon now that so much has changed?

I actually downed him again today. It is still possible, but everything is much tighter now. The spec I used was 16/0/45. Now it takes about 45 mintues whereas before it only took half an hour.
Mystakal

Postby Chunes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:20 pm

good to know! thanks for the update mystakal!
Chunes

Postby loladine » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:31 pm

!!! Brag inc !!!

Geddon droped my binding wooooo TF here i come
loladine

Postby phaqueue » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:02 pm

so with the nerfs - has anything really changed as far as gearing? also - anyone who hit 80 on Beta - predictions on whether the needed gear will change come level 80??

I really want to see my other binding now that I got the Garr one (in a pug - go go good roll!)

Just wondering what I should focus on at 80 to be able to solo geddon...

thanks!
phaqueue

Postby Krazy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

I tried it now that I'm 80 but my gear is rather sub par for this at the moment. I was at around 365 fire resist with aura but still taking a lot of damage from the bomb and his pulse. I thought this might be something you could breeze through like garr but it is really intense.

With around 700 spell power I still found it impossible to keep myself alive and my mana up enough to cast heals. With 1000+ spell power it should be much easier. Once I get more healing plate and some better fire resist gear I'm gonna try it again. I also need to setup an alert for when I have mana burn because a couple times I died due to forgetting to decurse it and my mana was completely drained.

The level 75+ green "of fire protection" plate is far superior to the old badge epic gear so I'm continually checking the AH to see what pieces of that I can grab.
Krazy

Postby Mystakal » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:07 am

I'll just give an update as to how I've done it the past few weeks at 80.

First, you do not have to kill Garr. Since the patrol's aggro radii decrease as a function of your level he can be killed fine on the ledge outside of the tunnel in Garr's room without aggroing the corehound pats. I still remain stationary and eat the infernos.

Second, as far as spec I still had to do it as ret with some points in holy. I tried as protection but was not able to keep up with the mana and healing demands. Since my ret gear is sub par, I use tank gear along with FR gear and just kill him with judgements, shield slams and crusader strikes.

The last time I went he was down in 18 minutes.
Mystakal

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Note: 365 is not the FR cap at level 80. If you're gearing for that amount, fire damage will be hitting you harder than you expect.
Belloc

Postby Krazy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Just killed him today...no bindings though :-(

Finally managed to get enough decent FR gear to get to 397 with aura, used a flask of chromatic wonder to hit about 430ish. With some better holy pieces I managed around 1k spell power. Took about 30 minutes to kill him.

I did it in Garr's spot due to the fact that I killed him already yesterday (I need both bindings).

Mystakal...you said you used tank gear? I did it as ret with FR pieces and holy gear mixed in like your initial guide says. If it can be done faster and easier with tank gear that would be pretty awesome.
Krazy

Postby Soulslider » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 am

Killed him today as prot. It was really really easy. Small tip: SoW+JoL+Sacred shield+FoL = win.

You can see my stats. 20k hp, 260 FR and 1100 spellpower and ~800 BV.

It took 27 mins and I didn't take any risks. So 20 mins should be doable going all out dps.

Tactic: Pull him and run back into the tunnel. You can see where i'm standing on the screenshot.
I moved him back and forth on that ledge in the picture. Every time he used "Inferno" I would run out of it and heal with FoL. Usually I could time this with a sacred shield proc = 4k FoL crits (keep sacred shield up at all times). Everytime I got bomb I would hug the wall so I didn't get fall damage after the explosion. Ignite mana needs to be cleansed instantly ofc.

Thats it!

Screenshot!

Dog add respawn :oops:
Soulslider

Postby Krazy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:38 am

You didnt happen to screen shot (or remember) how much you had to heal yourself did you?

As ret, using mystakal's method by the time the boss was down I did like 600,000(ish) damage and healed myself for 800,000(ish).

There were a lot of times I was just standing there spamming multiple FoL in between bombs. This is with 430ish fire resist as well...he still crits you for 1500ish from time to time.

Also, if anyone comes up with a reliable strat for magmadar I am all ears...corehounds are just plain annoying and it would be nice to kill him and garr and then come back and be able to do geddon core hound free.

I actually tried it...you can walk around all the core hound packs to magmadar if you are VERY careful at level 80. If you aggro a pack you might as well just die, I found it impossible to kill them within enough time before they reignite. I guess you could just ONLY consecrate with auto attack off and just stand there but that would take a long long long time and wouldnt be worth it.

The problem is, magmadar fears you a ton and for a class that has no fear breaking/avoiding ability (grrrr warriors), makes this fight very annoying and long. It probably can be done if you don't get feared into the core hound packs during the probably 45 minutes it would take to kill him (since you get feared so much).
Krazy

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:27 am

You have 2 fear breaks per 2 minute period (Trinket and Bubble), so you can prevent an add on half the fears. All you need now is to find a way of breaking the other two.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Soulslider » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:40 am

Krazy wrote:You didnt happen to screen shot (or remember) how much you had to heal yourself did you?

As ret, using mystakal's method by the time the boss was down I did like 600,000(ish) damage and healed myself for 800,000(ish).

You can see on the screenshot that I took ~400.000 dmg. Move out of Inferno and you dont take much dmg as long you dont get the fall dmg from bomb. About 2 FoLs every time he uses Inferno could keep me up (with sacred shield up all the time).

Magmadar is pretty easy too. Though very very annoying. I cleared the 2 dog packs nearest him. With all the fears you are going to get it's almost impossible not to pull a pack ;-).

Now a guide to Gehennas would be nice. Shadow bolts + -75% healing curse ftl ;<
Soulslider

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats