How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:09 pm

kolori wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhLcxZVfxtocziIoz

Im gonna try with this spec next time, to see how much faster I can kill Garr, I'd expect quite a big difference if I can be arsed to spam crusader strike for an hour or two :)

Yeah, that would certainly make things go a lot faster.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:12 am

I did check on that waiting spot mentioned earlier Hank and Lore were talking about, and indeed it is confirmed. I'll be editing that into the guide and video next time I have a chance.

Also, I posted it into the Successes thread, but thought it kinda belonged here as well:
http://www.bennlinger.com/wow/bindings.jpg
http://www.bennlinger.com/wow/bindings2.jpg

So, good thing I took a video of it, cause I won't be soloin him any more!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Lawa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am

Gz mate, well deserved 8)

ot: Is that All in One Inventory addon ?
why?
Lawa

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 am

Lawa wrote:Gz mate, well deserved 8)

ot: Is that All in One Inventory addon ?

It's called Baudbag. It isn't part of WoWAce, and it's kind of a pain to update it, but I can't find another bag mod that simply takes the original Blizzard bags and combines them into one bag and makes it look normal. I like it.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby oxn » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:09 pm

kolori wrote:http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhLcxZVfxtocziIoz

Im gonna try with this spec next time, to see how much faster I can kill Garr, I'd expect quite a big difference if I can be arsed to spam crusader strike for an hour or two :)

I did my first Garr run tonight (only one bad pull, yay) using that spec.

I tried using crusader strike on the trash mob you have to kill and it just ate my mana up for little damage. SoC + JotC was pretty nice dps tho.

I killed Garr ~1h 20min going by wizard oil as a timer. I'll have to get some sharpening stones for next go round.

I'm thinking of trying out http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhLcx00xZVfxtoczic next time. I imagine reckoning should be pretty awesome with Garr's attack speed.

Although, I lose Sanctified Judgement with that build, which will mean more time spent with JoW up. :?

Suppose I could do http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhLcx00xZVcxt0cziI instead and keep sanc judgement...
oxn

Postby Titanshammer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 pm

No more easy mode Swiftness pot + Invis pot anymore =( They now share the same cooldown.
Titanshammer

Postby Rustyblade » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:54 am

Yea so soloing him right now after ruining all my AoE tanking gear due to gemming and enchanting like a r-tard.

Its cool tho as I don't raid anymore.

90% and going strong! The biggest problem I see could be your shield running out of dura before he is dead, its at 78/120 but its not going down fast now his minions are dead.

It seems I will end the fight with like <10 dura on my shield, I could always switch to impen darkness but its not enchanted for this and i will lower my avoidance to like 97% which things could get ugly but still doable.

:D

I will update when the big guy bites the dust,...

After seeing how long this is taking I am thinking of putting a mana oil on my weapon and speccing like this for the next time I solo him,...

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhbcxZVbxxhMziIot

Like someone said earlier in this thread keep up a undispellable seal, more crit, more damage, vengence, and CS if mana allows will speed this up immensly.

Not to mention its useful as a ret spec even tho its suboptimal.

EDIT: Yea this spec is bad, 2+ hours here and my dura on my shield is only 2-3 points ahead of his % total and that with me swapping to another shield and bubble+bandage a few times to kinda spread the dura hits out a little.

Another update 15% and still going strong!

Dead!!!

And the loot, sadly no binding :(

Should be much faster and cleaner next time I do this :D
Rustyblade

Postby Maat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 am

I have to say, thanks for this thread. I'd never thought about passive uncrush until recently, and I have to say it's been quite a blast fuxing with my gear, "wasting" badges on epic defense gems and such o_O

My kill time these past two kills has been about 2hr flat, but I don't afk it too much, and have high enough bv (700ish?) that I can judge wisdom rather than light. Using r1 Blessing of Wisdom to proc his dispel aura pulse, I can bust out wings (or just bubble) and nuke the heck out of him every couple of minutes which seems to help a bit, or twist light a bit to get hp back up in addition to the Figurine. Hurray for <120 spell damage though ._.'

Random picture of dead Garr! (does he even drop gold? I didn't notice)

I was wondering if anyone cared enough to make the fight a little faster for a prot paladin (I just do this in my normal tanking talent build... not sure if I can be arsed enough to try some weird ret hybrid build) :< I am tempted to whip up Earthen Elixirs for the 20 damage reduction (he still hit for ~105 at times) and make some Adamantite Sharpening Stones for my trusty Sun Eater...

It is pretty funny when guild members keep asking what % he is at. Can't wait until reset!
Maat

Postby Taragon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:42 am

Maat wrote:I was wondering if anyone cared enough to make the fight a little faster for a prot paladin (I just do this in my normal tanking talent build... not sure if I can be arsed enough to try some weird ret hybrid build) :< I am tempted to whip up Earthen Elixirs for the 20 damage reduction (he still hit for ~105 at times) and make some Adamantite Sharpening Stones for my trusty Sun Eater...

It is pretty funny when guild members keep asking what % he is at. Can't wait until reset!

I'm pretty sure Earthen elixirs don't reduce a static 20 damage but instead 20 damage before armor mitigation.
I.e. if you have 50% mitigation through armor and he hits you for 1000 before armor and 500 after an earthen elixir would bring it down to 490 and I'm sure you have more than 50% mitigation so it would be even less. I don't think they would be worth it but it's your call.

(and yeah I enchanted my felmyst gloves with 15 agil because I couldn't be bothered to go get 10 more block rating -.-)
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby Elsie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 am

Although not really news, I just managed to down Garr as 5/11/45 pvp ret spec (3/5 deflection)

You'll need 10 super mana potions, 2-3 agi elixirs, and 15 heavy netherweave bandages to survive the enrage. Once it falls off Seal of Wisdom and Judgement of Light for 2 hours...
Elsie

Postby Audrie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Oh my God I want to try this!

Just dinged 70 last night, need to hurry up and get some gear and go get my Thunderfury :).

How viable would it be to solo for the other binding? Could you duo/three man it?
Never chase a Pally out a window...
Audrie

Postby Seloei » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 pm

geddon can be 2 maned, will take a few dog respawns to kill him. 3 man he dies just before the dog respawns or with some time to spare.
You need a healer for Geddon, Garr is easily soloable.

Also, oddly after the patch last night i just now got hit by 8/8 of the add pops. Probably just major unlucky (had fr aura up)
Seloei

Postby Tephlon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 am

I don't think this was posted, but what kind of BV would you need? both of your sets have at least 700, would anything below that work also?
Tephlon

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:18 am

Tephlon wrote:I don't think this was posted, but what kind of BV would you need? both of your sets have at least 700, would anything below that work also?

Probably. It's said somewhere that below 650 will be difficult, and having lower block value AND a few % away from uncrushability will be much worse. I haven't done this in a while (having already looted my binding), but it'd probably be possible. The gear is there, and outside of 25 mans, so it should be available if it doesn't work out.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Maat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:42 am

I'm pretty sure Earthen elixirs don't reduce a static 20 damage but instead 20 damage before armor mitigation.
I.e. if you have 50% mitigation through armor and he hits you for 1000 before armor and 500 after an earthen elixir would bring it down to 490 and I'm sure you have more than 50% mitigation so it would be even less. I don't think they would be worth it but it's your call.

Oh boo. I suppose I'll have to run a WWS log to see how much it helps for sure. I've been killing Gahz'ranka a lot too so the Earthen Elixir definately helps a smidge on the frost crap since I haven't been running with Sanctuary.

Lately for soloing Garr/Gahz'ranka I've been using a half-assed ret+righteousness spec which is pretty much worthless for everything else paladin-like. The point in Vindication is just filler, but it is somewhat nice for clearing trash (like those damn panthers adhjkaslfa)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxVZV0xcxZV0txhczic

Undispellable seals + sanctity aura + improved righteousness + fortunate Vengeance procs (since they're dispellable) makes dpsing Garr a little less frustrating for people like me who can't just afk the whole thing.

Garr and Geddon hate me though :( Go figure I get 2 tomes from 4 Gahz'ranka kills though.
Maat

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats