Remove Advertisements

[10H] Thok the Bloodthirsty (Guide)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10H] Thok the Bloodthirsty (Guide)

Postby Incalcando » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am

On this one I will cover how to solo tank Thok efficiently. If you have a paladin in your group there is really no point in 2-tanking this ever, it will actually be more strain on your healers and much less DPS if you do. Paladin really shines as a tank here, not because of the fact that he can reset his stacks on the ice phase, but because of the damage it can deal and most importantly, the healing it can do with high vengeance.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUNx51grDE (not prot PoV I once again forgot to record)

Let's get on to the guide.

Pull the boss without using either HA or AW. You want to save them for later, both for survivability and DPS. Up to the point where you reach 8-9 stacks of acceleration, use your DP basically on cooldown, unless you have a legendary meta proc. At around 8-9 stacks the damage really starts to ramp up because the boss basically starts screeching non stop, so you want to use your AD and GoAK at that stage. This should keep you covered until the 14-15 stack mark. After that point your vengeance should have reached 100% or close. Just pop HA and AW and watch yourself explode from last to first on the damage meter :P. Keep using DP as you approach 20 stacks, cause the damage is so large you can still die even with SotR up 100% of the time and a SS absorbing 400k per tick. This is also a great time to use your Light's Hammer to top the raid off. As you can see from my video, when "arcing light + personals" is called, the raid basically remains topped off till the hammer wears off. At around 22-23 stacks you will need a big external such as a pain suppression. If you have the protectors trinket this is also I think the best time to use it.

The transitions don't really have anything worth mentioning. On the bats phase, you wanna save your HA for when the bats are up since that's the most vengeance you will have. Avoid using Light's Hammer for AoE unless you are either a) really struggling to kill them or b) your healers are super confident they don't need it. As for the blue phase, all of your cooldowns from the first phase will be available to use, so do something similar as then, just remember you will most likely not be able to delay HA + AW for so long since chances are your raid will push a transition at around 13-15 stacks. Oh, and don't forget to use your bubble at 4 stacks there to reset. If you don't reset don't panic, it's not the end of the world, just have your DPS quickly kill the icicle and you'll be fine.

Talent/Glyph recommendations:

Sacred Shield. Eternal Flame will most likely tic for like 700k with the vengeance you get in this fight, but you will most likely get one shot. Maybe with 2 stamina trinkets + full stamina gemming it can work, but I didn't try it.
Light's Hammer is also a must, for reasons mentioned above.

As far as trinkets are concerned, the CD reduction stamina one + the AoE damage reduction stamina one own this fight. I only had the CD reduction one and used juggernaut trinket as my second and still had no troubles.
Incalcando

Re: [10H] Thok the Bloodthirsty (Guide)

Postby Xfighter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:35 am

Ugh, being tired when posting ftl! My post in the other thok topic was meant for this one.

Thanks so much for all of the great info on solo tanking this Inc. It really did ease the overall requirements of the fight. I really do recommend this stay for guilds who reach it these days, because with gear this seems to make it a pretty simplefight after your group figures out raid cds and survives poison phase.

I opted to use EF though, as with 2 healers I couldnt really force them to waste time targeting me as much, and as long as your cds dont run out after 9 stacks, you shouldn't be able to get 2 shot by roar+melee. I ran with only 2 pc and 2x offset with t15 shoulders still, and holy power/ bastion stacks only came into play at the start of each p1 with getting EF up a bit slower, it's also the least dangerous point anyways. Imagine 4pc would make it a decent bit easier.

Looking forward to using some of your blackfuse tips this week as well :).
Xfighter

Postby Schroom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:11 am

we still have the problem that people get eaten while kiting...

I usually open at 12-13 stacks at 4.5 seconds left when the Boss runs to the exit on the first. At 8 seconds at 12-13 stacks the second time. so that he positions himself correctly next to the wall.

is there a way to ensure someone does not get fixated twice in a row?
Schroom

Postby Winkle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:16 am

Not sure where i saw it posted but apprently he favors the furthest person away in the 20-40yard range.
Winkle

Postby Incalcando » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:56 am

He "tends" to fixate on the most distant targets, but it has happened that there were people further away from the guy who just got fixated and he still got 2 in a row. If you setup an optimal route for kiting though and not just run randomly, you shouldn't really have this issue, all our phase 2 deaths were basically fuckups, didn't really notice the double fixate thing being an issue. It rarely happens anyway if you have people going far away to try and force him to fixate on them
Incalcando

Postby Riemu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey Guys,

we had our first 15 Tries on Thok last week. Tonights our next shot and I wanted to get your input on our CD rotation and our healing.
Were going with 1 Tank (Pally) and 4 Healers (Pally, Druid, Shaman, Disc Priest). DPS are Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Mage, Hunter.

Lust at Pull, P1 gets Thok to about 65%, P2 starts with about 58% - DPS should be fine.
We kite him to about 15 Stacks.

Normal + Frost:

3 - Tree of Life + Spirit Shell
7 - Demo Banner + Vigilance on Tank + Healing Tide
10 - Bubble Paladin with CDs
13 - Devo 1 + Tranq
16 - Devo 2
18 - BoP Shaman + Ascendance/Guidance
20 - Personal CDs + Light's Hammer
23 - Barrier + Smokebomb + Sacrifice/Ironbark on Tank
28-29 - Phaseout

Green + Fire:

4 - Demo Banner + Vigilance on Tank + BoP Disc Priest
6 - Bubble Paladin with CDs
8 - Light's Hammer + Rallying Cry
11 - Personal CDs + Spirit Link
12-14 - Phaseout

Anything in there to improve?

Also, the Disc Priest and the Shaman are both "Offspecc Healers" with not ideal gearing. They both don't really know how to heal Thok / deliver the best output. At least they didn't know last week when we tried him. So I'm hoping you could go over our logs and give us some pointers.

Here are our 2 best tries while running 4 Healers:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 137&e=9368 (29 Stacks Phaseout)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 611&e=8823 (18 Stacks Phaseout)

Thanks alot!
RL, GM and Pally Tank for 10-man Guild Plage, EU-Gorgonnash
Chars: Prot Paladin / Blood DK

Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/plageriemu

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789
Riemu

Postby Schroom » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 am

still couldn't manage the double fixate thing. some people always got fixated twice, even tho they were so close to the Boss, they risked getting eaten...

nonetheless we got lucky yesterday and killed it.
Schroom

Postby Schroom » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:22 am

I did it a bit different, so I post my PoV so you guys can have one more view of the whole thing.

SoTR timing is gold when tanking solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQb0V8vpLNk
Schroom

Postby Setokaiba » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 am

Riemu wrote:Hey Guys,

we had our first 15 Tries on Thok last week. Tonights our next shot and I wanted to get your input on our CD rotation and our healing.
Were going with 1 Tank (Pally) and 4 Healers (Pally, Druid, Shaman, Disc Priest). DPS are Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Mage, Hunter.

Lust at Pull, P1 gets Thok to about 65%, P2 starts with about 58% - DPS should be fine.
We kite him to about 15 Stacks.

Normal + Frost:

7 - Demo Banner + Vigilance on Tank + Healing Tide
10 - Bubble Paladin with CDs
13 - Devo 1 + Tranq
16 - Devo 2
18 - BoP Shaman + Ascendance/Guidance
20 - Personal CDs + Light's Hammer
23 - Barrier + Smokebomb + Sacrifice/Ironbark on Tank
28-29 - Phaseout

Green + Fire:

4 - Demo Banner + Vigilance on Tank + BoP Disc Priest
6 - Bubble Paladin with CDs
8 - Light's Hammer + Rallying Cry
11 - Personal CDs + Spirit Link
12-14 - Phaseout

Anything in there to improve?

Also, the Disc Priest and the Shaman are both "Offspecc Healers" with not ideal gearing. They both don't really know how to heal Thok / deliver the best output. At least they didn't know last week when we tried him. So I'm hoping you could go over our logs and give us some pointers.

Here are our 2 best tries while running 4 Healers:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 137&e=9368 (29 Stacks Phaseout)
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 611&e=8823 (18 Stacks Phaseout)

Thanks alot!

drop a healer(proly paly) and get warlock in
Setokaiba

Postby Kai » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 am

1 tank + 4 healers is fine actually, we first killed it like that. one important thing about that is though that your healers need to pick up the fixates. especially the first one is super easy to direct on a healer with dps just staying in his melee range and healers running 10-20 yards away. if your healers get used to it, they should be able to pick up 80%+ of the fixates.

edit: oh and also you want to transition MUCH earlier in the green phase. pretty much when the bats come in. at least with one tank that was super annoying for us, the bats do some aoe dmg as well.
Kai

Postby Xfighter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

Kai wrote:1 tank + 4 healers is fine actually, we first killed it like that. one important thing about that is though that your healers need to pick up the fixates. especially the first one is super easy to direct on a healer with dps just staying in his melee range and healers running 10-20 yards away. if your healers get used to it, they should be able to pick up 80%+ of the fixates.

edit: oh and also you want to transition MUCH earlier in the green phase. pretty much when the bats come in. at least with one tank that was super annoying for us, the bats do some aoe dmg as well.

Why transition so fast during green with 3+ healers? Yea the bats are kind of an issue, but we just call for personals at 3-ish stacks, then we use our smoke bomb (our first CD used in P1) as soon as it comes up, and follow that up with one of our shamans totems (NFI which)+ Lights Hammer from me, and generally phase out of poison around 10-11 (our first kill was @13) - with only 2 healers. I'd imagine with 3 or 4, you'd be able to cover that many stacks without using a single CD.
Xfighter

Postby Schroom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:41 am

bets need to be stunned asap and amap. warlocks should help. we got warlocks and an sprist massdispels ftw. after this worked out we could do green for a while longer.

I don't see any need for 4 healers. we tried it out with our spriest going disc but our logs showed us that it was just not worth it. we didn't have any gain. in the contrary dropping one dps made the fight even longer.
Schroom

Postby Ribet » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:05 pm

So just a quick question! We are progressing on this fight now and our most difficult speed bump right now is the poison phase with either myself (Prot pally) dying with everything on me or someone else dying to the bats AoE.

Any tips or tricks someone could share?

This is the comp we run:

Prot Pally

Holy Pally
Resto Shaman
Disc Priest

Hunter
Lock
Rogue
Unholy DK
Spriest
Fury Warrior (The main tank and also went prot for last attempt last night to try to help with bats)

(edit) Logs:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ui2lidorznrt9rve/
Ribet

Postby Kai » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:02 am

just bunch up as soon as the bats spawn, use a raid CD (rogue cloud, barrier) and CDs on the tanks (holy pala should have both his hand of sacs available again) and have at least one healer (probably the paladin) focus the tank. raid healing not that important as you want to phase change. with a 3 healer/1 tank setup you really shouldn't have a dps problem. just make sure there's a mortal strike debuff on the boss when he eats a NPC.
but that phase is by far the most annoying. the poison dot does tons dmg (btw make sure the warlock uses his aoe didspell on CD, ours is usually higher on dispelling then 1-2 of the healers) and the cooldowns you used in the first phase are not back up yet.
there's no need to do more then 5-6 stacks of acceleration if you got problems with it. just make sure you do 12+ stacks of blood frenzy during kiting and overall dps shouldn't be an issue if you stay alive. for the frost phase all CDs are back up again and you should aim at doing 20-22 there again. range dps need to be quick on freeing the tank and as soon as the tank gets frozen, someone needs to use an external CD on him.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 am

stun em, stun em, stun em. and dispel dispel dispel. you got 2 mass-dispels with SPriest and Lock. Lock can also AoE stun em, as well as the warrior.

get HoS if needed.

we had trouble here as well, as soon as the Locks helped mass-dispelling (lots of locks don't even know they can do that, I guess it is new or sth) the phase worked perfectly.
Schroom

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)