[25N] Horridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [25N] Horridon

Postby Sagara » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 am

Bellanka wrote:
Sagara wrote:
Astronomic wrote:What's a good health percentage to have horridon at once you've finished the 4th door, and about how long does he have left on enrage? Also seems like horridon is the bane of our monk tank. He can get bursted down 500-600k hp in 2 seconds : /

THat's probably because he can't use much of his defensive model - dodge and parry don't work on Triple Puncture, so he has to rely on his Stagger/Purifying Brew. COnsidering every other TP immediatly follows a Double Swipe, I can imagine him getting trounced. How much is he Staggering?

Why would the Double Strike matter? That can be easily strafed out of, and strafed back into position when it's over. Triple Puncture and normal melee are the only boss abilities a tank should ever be hit by. I was talking to a few other tankadins last night after our raid (woo, whispers!) one of whom linked me a youtube of their attempts, and I saw their OT getting hit by Double Strike so often it was painful to watch, all because they were trying to run out backwards.

Double Strike is a cone AoE, which means it's narrower towards the boss. People who are having problems avoiding it can just straight towards the boss and a little out or, like I prefer, curve-strafe out and back in.

Two things - I was explaining why he could get downed so fast. Doesn't mean it's ok - like you said, it's fairly easy to dodge.
Second, it doesn't remove anything from the point - the monk's tanking method is not that hot for Horridon. You'd need to Purify just before and after the Puncture to be mostly OK, and you'll still be eating bigger spikes than the average paladin.

In fact, I'm seriously considering using the DS/HoP trick to tank a crapload of doors and let our Monk lolspin through the trash.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Bellanka » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 am

Sagara wrote:
Two things - I was explaining why he could get downed so fast. Doesn't mean it's ok - like you said, it's fairly easy to dodge.
Second, it doesn't remove anything from the point - the monk's tanking method is not that hot for Horridon. You'd need to Purify just before and after the Puncture to be mostly OK, and you'll still be eating bigger spikes than the average paladin.

In fact, I'm seriously considering using the DS/HoP trick to tank a crapload of doors and let our Monk lolspin through the trash.

Ah, that makes sense. And yeah ... if a tank isn't avoiding that damage the issue comes down to playstyle. I've noticed that the normal modes are no joke like they were in previous tiers. And, to be quite honest, I kind of like it this way.

That method (Pally solo on Horridon, Monk on adds) is actually how we killed him. I specced into Clemency, and used DS/HoP/HoP/DS after each gate to stay on Horridon. Monk died to the 5th phase boss and I grabbed both with GoAK followed AW/HA+SoTR/WoG spam until the God-King-Whatever-His-Name-Was died.

This method was MUCH easier on Priest and Druid healers.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:33 am

Sagara wrote:
Astronomic wrote:What's a good health percentage to have horridon at once you've finished the 4th door, and about how long does he have left on enrage? Also seems like horridon is the bane of our monk tank. He can get bursted down 500-600k hp in 2 seconds : /

THat's probably because he can't use much of his defensive model - dodge and parry don't work on Triple Puncture, so he has to rely on his Stagger/Purifying Brew. COnsidering every other TP immediatly follows a Double Swipe, I can imagine him getting trounced. How much is he Staggering?

If I recall the stagger ticks were anywhere from 20-40k. I can't access the logs from work but if I recall it seemed like there would just be moments where all the monk's buffs werent up so you'd see somethign like 200k physical attack 150k triple puncture 200k physical attack, with stagger ticks thrown in there over 2 seconds.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby 99sitr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:48 am

My 25 man is currently hitting a wall with the Drakkari door. I'm solo tanking Horridon while our DK tanks all the adds. He isn't dying or getting low nor are the dps getting clipped by the adds. But when have the first door down to a minimal amount of sand traps. The second door apparently we are having issues with the priests and the effusions. The poison stacks seem to come in CPU te of 3-4 each attempt. We have dedicated interrupters and people dispelling but their just seems to be such an influx of damage at that point.

I'm managing keeping myself and my dedicated pally healer cleansed but decisive is just lighting up like a slot machine during that phase. I know they are focusing the first priest and if its not down by the time the second one pops they are continuing to focus on the first while throwing interrupts on the second. The problem is the effusions just throwing out all the stacking dots.

We have managed to get to the 3rd door but not without losing at least 4-9 people. Then the mortal strike add comes to say hi to me and its GG at that point.

We did have several new people last time but we put a solid 3 hours on the boss and the best was door 3 with plenty dead.

As far as me I am solo tanking Horridon and HoPing the stacks at 6-7 and trading HoP's with my healer and the damage has yet to be an issue like stated above.

I will post logs shortly as I'm on the phone ATM.

Best of luck to those still working on this one.
99sitr

Postby Solanthanius » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Bellanka wrote:
Sagara wrote:That method (Pally solo on Horridon, Monk on adds) is actually how we killed him. I specced into Clemency, and used DS/HoP/HoP/DS after each gate to stay on Horridon. Monk died to the 5th phase boss and I grabbed both with GoAK followed AW/HA+SoTR/WoG spam until the God-King-Whatever-His-Name-Was died.

This method was MUCH easier on Priest and Druid healers.

I also recommend it. Pally tanks are perfect for dealing with Horridon, 50-60% reduction on every triple puncture is godly, and this trick lets you tank him the entire fight without issue.
Solanthanius

Postby Heracles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am

We did this boss in five attempts. First pull we had people dying in sand traps, not switching to the adds and trying to nuke the boss and we also had deaths to charge as the boss was tanked too close to the Farraki door. Generally it was a right old cluster fuck.

2nd pull we faired better as we moved the boss to the outside of the room between the open Farraki door and the next one along (Gurubashi) with a Holy Paladin healing the MT, with a Resto Shaman helping out. On this try we wiped there due to lack of dispels and lack of people getting on the Priests quickly enough. Poisons basically overwhelmed us.

On the third pull we got our dispels more organised, marked up the Priests with skull and faired much better on interrupts on Venom Bolt. We used a Mistweaver Monk popping Revival at the end of the phase to clear any remaining debuffs. Again we tanked the boss fair away from the raid between the Gurubashi door and the Drakkari door to give a good charge distance. We HoP'ed/Salv'ed the MT healers or anyone else who got low from any adds on them and stacked the raid up as much as we could to AoE the Warriors and Champions down effectively (remember these do not have an aggro table and fixate on people).

Fourth pull we did even better still and got the boss to hit enrage. This was mainly due to deaths in various phases, most of which I think were on the second door again which we felt was by far the hardest. On the fifth pull we got the kill as you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... FBe-MAddXE

We lost me on the pull as I was told to reposition the boss, even though in hindsight he was probably fine where he was, so the start is a little scrappy. I basically missed my CD on Triple Puncture and our Holy Pala was moving and hadn't got me topped. We went with three tanks, 6 healers, so our Warrior picked him up til I was ressed then we got back into a nice flow as you can see.

Our Bear took the adds, myself and the Warrior helped pick up loose ones when not tanking Horridon and switched the boss between the two of us every door. So I did door 1 and 3, he did 2 and 4. As soon as he butted the last door we pulled him into the middle for the final phase of nuking the Warlord and then the boss.

It is however interesting to hear in the above posts that I could solo tank the boss, but we had no real issues doing things the way we did once people worked out exactly what they had to do. Myself and the Warrior found the 6 stacks we gained per door was no problem to take. Once the boss was in the middle we generally swapped on 3 stacks each due to having three tanks. Though this might not work with a lower geared raid, this being said we did have about a minute left on enrage which will leave some margin for error or gear.

As long as you stay out of shit, avoid charge, tank the boss by the wall between the door you're on and the next one you're going to go to and as soon as the boss butts the door closed run off with your healer to the next position you will tank him you shouldn't have too many issues. Other concerns are obviously nuking down the Dinomancers and Warlord when he comes out, when he did we used Heroism. The main problem we had really was door two, make sure you nuke Priests as prio, interrupt them and dispel, cannot stress that enough. The Monk Revival was very very handy indeed.

Once again, I hope the above helps someone out there.
Heracles

Postby Belloc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:11 pm

A note for Paladin perma-tanks on Horridon: When Horridon starts the process of breaking a door, you have time to help DPS adds. Usually, your raid is probably moving to the next door at this point, so Horridon is going to have to travel a bit to catch up to you. When he does eventually catch up to you, his first attack is going to be a triple puncture. I found that it was very difficult to cast ShoR on him before he used triple puncture during these periods and, as a result, I would get hit really hard (I usually had around 8 stacks of TP at this point... not enough for me to want to bubble/HoP it quite yet).

The solution I ended up going with was to hit ShoR on an add just before the boss caught back up. This only works, however, if you still have an add up when Horridon catches up. If you have no adds up, you either have to mash ShoR on Horridon and hope that it goes off before he uses TP or have an acceptable cooldown up. Alternatively, you can try timing your taunt-HoP/Bubble so that he's taunt-fixated when he reaches you, immuning the TP. More often than not, you should still have at least one add that you can keep up without any danger, so you should be able to get a ShoR off about 1 second before the boss catches up.

I don't expect this to be a major problem for most people, but it did catch me off guard and wiped us once. I imagine that some of you may have run into this issue without even realizing it. Anyway, I hope it helps someone!
Belloc

Postby Heracles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:14 pm

99sitr wrote:My 25 man is currently hitting a wall with the Drakkari door. I'm solo tanking Horridon while our DK tanks all the adds. He isn't dying or getting low nor are the dps getting clipped by the adds. But when have the first door down to a minimal amount of sand traps. The second door apparently we are having issues with the priests and the effusions. The poison stacks seem to come in CPU te of 3-4 each attempt. We have dedicated interrupters and people dispelling but their just seems to be such an influx of damage at that point.

I'm managing keeping myself and my dedicated pally healer cleansed but decisive is just lighting up like a slot machine during that phase. I know they are focusing the first priest and if its not down by the time the second one pops they are continuing to focus on the first while throwing interrupts on the second. The problem is the effusions just throwing out all the stacking dots.

We have managed to get to the 3rd door but not without losing at least 4-9 people. Then the mortal strike add comes to say hi to me and its GG at that point.

We did have several new people last time but we put a solid 3 hours on the boss and the best was door 3 with plenty dead.

As far as me I am solo tanking Horridon and HoPing the stacks at 6-7 and trading HoP's with my healer and the damage has yet to be an issue like stated above.

I will post logs shortly as I'm on the phone ATM.

Best of luck to those still working on this one.

What kind of saver rotation have you got set up? The second door is a bit of a bitch compared to the other ones which we found kinda faceroll tbh, provided people get on adds and stay out of shit. Just remember it's virtually impossible to dispel everything, try to out heal and dispel what you can, the rest is down to solid DPS on the Priests and Effusions is what's required and EVERYONE has to switch to them. We basically don't touch the boss if adds are up and people really need to get their heads around that fact or you will struggle on this door (well same is true of every door tbh, this one more so though). The quicker the adds die, the easier this fight is. You get PLENTY of time on the boss in the last phase when he takes increased damage.

On that 2nd door we just did out best with dispels, tried to mitigate the damage from the poisons as much as we could with an organised pre-prepared raid saver rotation and ofc interrupts from ranged, melee and healers alike. Too much dispelling = not enough healing and also not enough dispelling means too much damage out put. Find a balance, mitigate what you can and get everyone to step up their game, especially DPS by the sounds of it.

Again as I mentioned in my post above, a Mistweaver with Revival once the adds are dead is Godly, as you then go into the next fight clear of debuffs.

Good luck for your next raid, I'm sure you'll get him!
Heracles

Postby Raive » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:47 pm

I was wondering how people were handling the priests on the second door.

Is your priority just to focus fire the priests until they're all dead (limiting the number of effusions that spawn).
Or do you burn down effusions when they're up to help manage the aoe dot?
I've been thinking next time we get in there to try it maybe of having 1 or 2 assigned interruptors/burst dps switch to the effusions when they spawn and have the rest stick to the venom priests.
Raive

Postby Darielle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

The Monk's tanking method works perfectly. The early ones are a joke, and proper use of cycling Guard, Dampen Harm, Zen Meditation, plus the fact that Fort Brew adds to extra stagger and lasts 20 seconds, should work perfectly. They're not really just sitting there hoping Purify will take care of it. If the Monk is letting Shuffle fall off, they're probably in for a bit of hurt, but they should never do that.

I'm not really convinced by anything really being gained from the using of BoP/Bubble on Horridon. You can swap over tanks every time adds are dead with no real issue, and the good thing about swapping tanks is that you maximise use of both offensive and defensive cooldowns on the targets that matter. MAYBE if the other tank is really poor at dodging Double Swipe or bad at keeping their buffs/cooldowns up, or honestly if the Paladin isn't very good at picking up adds so having the other tank on adds always is better, I can see it being a benefit. Otherwise, it works, but I don't see a realistic benefit out of it.
Darielle

Postby Heracles » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 am

Raive wrote:I was wondering how people were handling the priests on the second door.

Is your priority just to focus fire the priests until they're all dead (limiting the number of effusions that spawn).
I've been thinking next time we get in there to try it maybe of having 1 or 2 assigned interruptors/burst dps switch to the effusions when they spawn and have the rest stick to the venom priests.

That's pretty much what we did though the other way around. We were pretty melee heavy as had one Rogue, a Monk, a DK, a Ret Paladin, Enhance Shaman and two Warriors, plus a Guardian Druid and either myself or the Warrior helping when we weren't tanking. So 9 interrupters minimum, not including ranged silences on top.

We marked up a skull for the Priest, focused it down then when the Effusions spawned we focused them down as prio over the Priests as they are pretty much made of paper if almost everyone switches. Iirc we left one or two melee on Priests full time for interrupts while we zerged Effusions, then simply mark up the next Priest and off we go again.

Obviously everyone was cleaving/AoEing the crap out of everything so we did get that many Effusions up tbh and like I said, if everyone is jonny on the spot with switching they die VERY quickly.

Again like I said before use a Stormlash rotation and get people to save their DPS CDs for this door for the extra deeps, as blowing them on the first door is a waste it's that easy. Also get organised raid savers set up to mitigate the damage and you should be able to zerg through the phase if everyone actually does their jobs correctly.

For us the whole phase lasted about 1:25 as we went to the next door with two Bloodlords up and about 1:45 or so for all adds to be dead, so the phase really isn't that long.
Heracles

Postby Calleana » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:51 am

As there doesn't seem to be a seperate 10 man thread at the moment I wanted to post some things we found useful for the ten man version here. We did this 2 tanks (paladin + DK), 3 healers (pally, monk and disc priest) and 5 DPS post hotfix.

Firstly we took the boss to the opposite door, this meant that only the current tank and the tank healer had to worry about standing to the side and the charges. We swapped when the boss hit the current door and swapped any remaining adds at this point. Normally there weren't many and the tank on the boss can clear a small add by themselves fairly easily.

We focused on each big add as it came down and cleaved, splash damage into the other adds. Our aim was to get the first of the big adds down before the pair spawned. On the second (venom priest) door we assigned interrupters and found the first one as it was going down very quickly only needed one interrupt. Our monk saved his cooldown to clear after the venomous effusions started popping up and we used a devotion aura to keep the damage under control. We also used the army to help on the second door, saving blood lust for the wargod section. On the final door we assigned a melee to the flamcasters and they interrupted and killed them as they spawned leaving everyone else to focus on the big adds.

In the final stage with just the boss up we tank swapped on 3 stacks and cleared these using BoP and bubble to help the healers out. We counted down each tank swap to avoid tank splats.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Apollya » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey All,

Only killed this boss twice now on 25man, was a real struggle till we had an average ilvl of around 500 as a group and had the raid dealing with adds properly

I tank Horridon himself the whole fight with help from HoP. I use 2 macros, since I need another Paladin to HoP me to remove stacks of triple Puncture (I HoP at around 13 Stacks but can go earlier if you want, say after 10).

Personal HoP macro: (Just hit the macro twice as fast as you can and if at all poss better to do when he's doing double swipe and you've moved to the side.

Code: Select all
#showtooltip Hand of Protection
/cancelaura Hand of Protection
/cast Hand of Protection

Macro for when other Pala HoP's me (i literally call for the HoP and then spam click it till it's done).

Code: Select all
/cancelaura Hand of Protection

Anyway, these are very basic macros but if you didn't have them they make life a lot easier.

I can literally tank Horridon the entire fight using 3-4 HoP's.

Raive wrote:I was wondering how people were handling the priests on the second door.

It helps to tell dps to Single target nuke here, and we focus fire down the venom priests to limit the number of effusions. The first venom priest that spawns should be killed off fast without any problems, the the next wave that comes with two it helps to have one to nuke down first, tonight I asked dps to nuke the one that spawns furthest away, ie the one that is closest to the door we'll be going to next, it worked very well with literally no effusions or poison volley on that door.
Apollya

Postby Darielle » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:32 pm

I just have a macro to cancel HoP, Salv, Parachute, Levitate and all kinds of spells in one button that is like 4-5 years old at this point.
Darielle

Postby Mordral » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Solo tanking Horridon (the boss) as a Paladin is not just a thing, it is pretty much THE WAY if you can pull it off. I have a DS cancel macro but rely on BoP->Freedom while he is doing a double swipe for the rest.

We have a warrior tank (Square) who the raid mostly stacks on starting on the left side of the door moving towards the next door as the fight progresses. This keeps everyone together and largely out of AoE effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8IXkvyKaB4
(OMG I WASTED THE FUCK OUT OF MY COOLDOWNS)
Mordral

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)