[10N] Elegon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10N] Elegon

Postby superworm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:22 am

This encounter is quite a dps check. At first my team also hit enrage at ~10% hp left, but after we refined the strategy, now we have been one-shotting it for several weeks.

First, 2 healing this encounter is highly recommended, at least for normal mode. In this way you can assign one dps for each spark/pillar, and let the 2 tanks help cover the weak points. Also keep in mind that after the pillars spawn and before the floor despawn, there are some time that you can hit the pillars with the damage buff. This greatly reduces the time on the pillars. Do keep an eye on the despawn timer and move to safe region in time.

For the adds at the pillar phase, basically we assign one pillar as the gathering point. One tank (myself) and one paladin healer will stay at this gathering point, and the healer will spam heals with righteous fury on. The people on the opposite side will just ignore all the adds, so the adds will be drawn to the paladin healer and picked up by me. I use glyphed holy wrath to stun the adds, and use GotA once the adds are gathered. Other teamates who have arrived at the gathering point also help me to stun the adds as much as possible, and aoe them down once they are gathered. This saved us a lot of time. The other tank will pick up the boss while the adds are killed, and then I will pick up the first big add.

For phase one, I stick on the boss while the other tank on the big adds. This way my vengeance gets quite high and we can maintain enough dps to push within two adds. Usually I pop holy avenger/avenging wrath when the first add start to aoe. Actually with better gear now we are almost pushing into one add, and I have to slow down a bit while all the dps focus on the second add. I think if we pre-potion before the encouter we should be able to push the boss to 85% with one add spawn. For the second P1 after the pillar phase, I pick up the first big add, clear my stacks after it's killed, and swap with my co-tank. I don't remember swapping with him again. Either he is following the same strategy as the first P1, or we have been pushing the boss to 50% within 2 adds.

The breath is not really a problem itself, and I seldom pop cd for it unless in the burn phase. Usually a well timed WoG should be enough after each breath. The explosion from the big adds do require some DR cooldown, and unglyphed DP/AD should be enough. Pop LoH when things get messy. GotA is left alone for the pillar phase when the adds are gathered.
superworm

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:29 am

we're getting to the first draw power with 2 ads, i believe we're getting to the 2nd one with 3.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Extermi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 am

We finally downed him yesterday after like 40 wipes, actually quite comfortable when everything fell together and everybody was duing his duties. Thanks for all the good tips and discussion here !

Extermi
Extermi

Postby wawel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Omg this fight is such a pain in the ass. We downed him last week ( we had 54 wipes already ). This week we had like 5 more wipes as we had 2 new ppl in raid so they had to adopt to group. This fight is hard as everyone have to focus for the whole time and there is no room for mistakes or slacking.

- Wipes due to not killing orbs: we put tanks on dpsing weaker/more proc dependant dpsers.

- Too many adds: we put our burst dps on pillars on the middle so they dps for 5 sec slower ppl before they switch to their stuff to kill. I believe its best when all pillars dies in rly short time window.

- Adds killing dps/healers: we just put pala tank ( me ) on duty to pick all adds. Also after lots of situation like that I simply asked directly ppl ( you know guys that it was always the very same druid and mage ;) ) to stop derping and wait for me to get some threat. Also proper spec/glyphs helped a lot. Light's Hammer and Glyph of Consecration is the way to go here along with Speed of Light that let you to run to other side of room to pick spawning adds.

After last transition phase we just run to boss stacking behind him while warrior start to tank it. As soon as all adds are inside ( does not matter if i got threat or not ) I cast holy wrath and stun them. Then by throwing hammer on the ground along with consecration I build huge threat on them so I can kite them while dpsers AoE it down.

I save my Devo till I see that healers got rought time. Often I have all CD up so as soon as all adds are down i just pick boss and tbh with Holy Avenger self heal along with my big def cds and LoH i can easly tank it for 30-40 sec and thats all that is needed to take it down.

So guys if you didnt kill it already and you are slowly working on that dont get discouraged by this fight. Most of ppl got 50-100 wipes b4 they take it down :)
wawel

Postby econ21 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 am

wawel wrote:- Too many adds: we put our burst dps on pillars on the middle so they dps for 5 sec slower ppl before they switch to their stuff to kill. I believe its best when all pillars dies in rly short time window.

My slow starting raid group just reached Elegon last week. I've read on another forum several posters who said they failed on this boss until they realised it was best that all pillars die at around the same time. I am curious - what mechanism makes this so important? Also, does it imply that each dps focus on a different pillar (like they focus on different spark?). I would have thought having two groups, each with a tank, made it easier to deal with the adds that come but suspect I am missing a mechanism that makes killing the pillars at around the same time optimal.
econ21

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:52 am

The more pillars are down, the faster he summons adds. Kill all pillars together, he transitions with fewer adds out.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Belloc » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:32 pm

econ21 wrote:
wawel wrote:- Too many adds: we put our burst dps on pillars on the middle so they dps for 5 sec slower ppl before they switch to their stuff to kill. I believe its best when all pillars dies in rly short time window.

My slow starting raid group just reached Elegon last week. I've read on another forum several posters who said they failed on this boss until they realised it was best that all pillars die at around the same time. I am curious - what mechanism makes this so important? Also, does it imply that each dps focus on a different pillar (like they focus on different spark?). I would have thought having two groups, each with a tank, made it easier to deal with the adds that come but suspect I am missing a mechanism that makes killing the pillars at around the same time optimal.

Kysen just answered it, but I'll put it another way:

When you kill a pillar, the boss gains a buff "increasing his damage inflicted by 20% and casting speed by 20%. This effect stacks." So, essentially, when you just kill pillars without any thought, this buff will hit Elegon early, increasing his summoning of adds before you trigger the phase change. So, by the time you've killed the final pillar, he's had plenty of time to summon a high number of adds because you've allowed the buff to start stacking early. If, however, you kill all 6 pillars within a short time of each other, the boss will still gain a high number of stacks, but it'll all happen within seconds of the phase change. He'll still summon adds (and quickly!), but only for a very short period of time. The net effect is less adds.

Basically, assign DPS to kill the pillar that matches their phase 2 spark assignments. Once their pillar hits ~20%, have them stop and look at their neighboring pillars. If they're higher by a decent amount, have them switch to help out.
Belloc

Postby econ21 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Belloc wrote:When you kill a pillar, the boss gains a buff "increasing his damage inflicted by 20% and casting speed by 20%. This effect stacks."

Ouch, that is an important mechanic not to know about. Thank you and thanks Kysen!
econ21

Postby lakhesis » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 am

Belloc wrote:Basically, assign DPS to kill the pillar that matches their phase 2 spark assignments. Once their pillar hits ~20%, have them stop and look at their neighboring pillars. If they're higher by a decent amount, have them switch to help out.

A system which has worked well for my guild's raids was to have dps on a side's top & bottom pillars with tank on the middle pillar, and then a ranged dps acting as overwatch. A healer completes the group of 5 on that side. Both sides are setup the same.

The overwatch ranged dps primarily helps the tank, but also helps clean up & balance out the side so all the pillars die at the same time.

Plus you can readily use a dot class as overwatch which reduces any lack-of-burst issues they might've had handling an orb/pillar on their own.
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am

I am still stuck on Elegon, but I gather it's been nerfed a bit so there's hope. One small query - I am unsure about the transition from phase 3 (tanking the cosmic sparks after the pylons are done) back to phase 1. I know from LFR, if the tank is slow to get back on the boss, he will be force gripped to him and am a bit worried about the boss breathing on the raid, so would like to be in place, turning him away. How do people handle this? What determines when the boss becomes active and requires a tank to melee? I guess it's a certain time interval after the last pylon is downed?

There seems to be an short interval when the inner floor is back up - should one tank go straight back to the boss or is there a period of grace?

I ask because handling the sparks seems the trickiest phase I've experienced (not got to the last burn phase yet) - they hurt - so presumably the longer both tanks can be on them, the better.
econ21

Postby Chronos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:10 am

Kill pylons all at once = fewer adds. Aggroing all the adds can feel tough - having the tanks kite them towards the control box as they spawn/until the floor comes up, then big tank cds aoe stuns and raid aoe to burn them down fast. As soon as thr floor is up one tank is moving to position his breath to hit three oclock. And adds are aoed down around six oclock. Not sure how much time you have until aoe grip but we dont wait. Having holy avenger and guardian and glyphed blinding light makes it really easy. You could also mark indovidual adds as you are kiting them to give dps somehing to focus down and not just rip threat while aoeing too fast too soon. In heroic i double salv my aoe dpsers while kiting the adds from my side toward six oclock and then i avengers shield taunt judge and other aoe to aggro thr other tanks adds (he gets on boss asap and his adds are running to him), at which point i blow huge cds group them on green floor just to his righte side as he faces three oclock and they get aoed down quick. Save bops for in between taunts and throw down lights hammer. Lh and ha help with aggro sooo much.

Tldr ranged threat, kiteuntil grouped, cds and aoe burst
Chronos

Postby Winkle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 am

You have very little time between the floor coming back and the aoe grip, maybe 5 seconds.
Winkle

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Winkle wrote:You have very little time between the floor coming back and the aoe grip, maybe 5 seconds.

A note on the floor: It becomes physical very shortly after it starts to appear. If you step on it the second the color starts coming back, you'll fall through. If you wait a second after the color starts coming back, you should be fine.

Add in a Speed of Light and you're back to the boss before anyone else has even bothered stepping on the platform.
Belloc

Postby econ21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks for the advice - we made more progress than we expected on Friday, getting to about 10% or so, but still did not down him, frustratingly in part due to my own silly errors (tanking with 4 hours sleep is never good). The transitions seemed much easier after the nerf and also with a bit more synchronisation of pillar killing.

My remaining query is about the burn phase - icy veins says don't waste time resetting your stacks but our healers were really struggling. What do other people do? We got advice from a guild that has Elegon on farm for the tanks at least to reset after every breath, which sounds sensible. Note - we were pushing both the enrage timer and the healers, so it's a non-trivial trade off.

I think this Friday, the boss will go down if we can kill 4 waves in each draw power phase (we killed 7 last week and with the 8th think we might have done it).
econ21

Postby daishan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:25 am

Yep it'll be hard on your healers if you don't get 4 waves killed in both phases.
We never reset stacks in p3 on normal or heroic, one thing I did to make it easier for the healers is make sure to have the battle healer glyph snd solo tank p3 with the dmg multiplier on the boss it's almost like having a 3rd healer, remember to chain cd's and if you run out make sure your OT resets before taunting off you.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)