Mists of Pandaria protection stats.

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mists of Pandaria protection stats.

Postby Kitmajere » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 pm

theckhd wrote:Reposting from the CtA thread:
Link
Ghostcrawler wrote:
Can Sanctity of Battle affect Avenger Shield?

Yes.

+1 for the blog?

Now for the love of god make them change the stupid new Vengeance >,<.
Have you posted your thoughts on the forums?
Kitmajere

Postby Sagara » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 pm

I don't think it's quite necessary. He won't state it outright, but when I see GC's posts on Tankadins, I got the nagging feeling he's reading Sacred Duty. Either that or Maintankadin.

From a business standpoint, it's a good idea: Theck spends Heavens know how many hours on MATLAB and analysing results, AND has the scientific approach that make his results much easier to double-check.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby daishan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:29 am

theckhd wrote:Reposting from the CtA thread:
Link
Ghostcrawler wrote:
Can Sanctity of Battle affect Avenger Shield?

Yes.

+1 for the blog?

At least +1 for the blog :D

I'm a little worried that the vengeance blog won't get the same reception, GC's latest post sounds somewhat like we're getting bad vengeance model weather we like it or not.
If any of you can post on the us thread I think we need to try and make them see it's a mistake. I'll try and put something on the EU site later when I'm not on my mobile.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby xstratax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:11 am

I hope enough Paladins post about how abysmally slow leveling as Prot is, I would but unfortunately Im locked until I re-up my sub. I ran a timer once in Krassarang around level 87, and it took about 30s to kill one of the Tiger mobs going all out on my rotation with no CDs. Switching to Ret changed it to roughly 10s to kill. That was before any of the damage tuning, now I suspect it would take significantly longer.

I dont want to be doing more than a DPS, but enough to comfortably clear quests would be perfect. I still liked the Wrath style I leveled a Paladin in, Ret beat me on 1-2, maybe 3 targets, but Prot could successfully pull 5+ and come out on top. If they make it so that Prot can AoE grind again, but only if they can play well, I would enjoy a slower feel to individual kills, but as is I agree that we should race to 90 as Ret.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:44 pm

xstratax wrote:...I still liked the Wrath style I leveled a Paladin in, ...

Yes, I remember when the pre-Wrath patch came out - it was wonderful. After painfully grinding Isle of Quel'danas daily quests as prot, I could suddenly kill things. Ever since then, I've never felt penalised for questing as prot (it may be slower than ret, but you can AOE, have survivability and get familiar with your mechanics prior to running instances). It would be a shame if we are slipping back to pre-Wrath days where questing as prot was a fool's game.
Last edited by econ21 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econ21

Postby Pruke » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 am

Level as prot in DPS gear, it's a whole lot easier. You still get to learn/practice/refine your tanking skills but things die a whole lot faster.
Pruke

Postby Nooska » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 am

Pruke wrote:Level as prot in DPS gear, it's a whole lot easier. You still get to learn/practice/refine your tanking skills but things die a whole lot faster.

Except that if you level as prot all questrewards that are offered are for prot (excepting the blues iirc - hunters only have 1 "spec" for that, so haven't see how it works for paladins etc with blues)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Fetzie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

I think I have had the choice between spec specific items only once or twice so far. Pretty much every quest reward has been rather Prot specific, with dodge/mastery, parry/mastery, parry/dodge, dodge/hit etc.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Pruke » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Nooska wrote:
Pruke wrote:Level as prot in DPS gear, it's a whole lot easier. You still get to learn/practice/refine your tanking skills but things die a whole lot faster.

Except that if you level as prot all questrewards that are offered are for prot (excepting the blues iirc - hunters only have 1 "spec" for that, so haven't see how it works for paladins etc with blues)

Can you not just respec prior to turning in a quest? Perhaps it's a pain but really I cannot see how they can increase tank DPS so questing is about as easy as a DPS questing, because our DPS in a 5/10/25 man would be absurd. Just my thoughts, at least initially anyhow.
Pruke

Postby daishan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Pruke wrote:Can you not just respec prior to turning in a quest? Perhaps it's a pain but really I cannot see how they can increase tank DPS so questing is about as easy as a DPS questing, because our DPS in a 5/10/25 man would be absurd. Just my thoughts, at least initially anyhow.

Ye I believe you can just respec before hand in, but that's damn annoying, and the only reason us doing ok dps while solo would screw up 5/10/25 is due to the retard new Vengeance model.

edit
Sry that comes off a little harsh, I'm just annoyed at blizz, I'm really liking the look of everything else, (slightly worried about tank specs doing even dps) but the new vengeance is looking like it could make a real mess out of a lot of the cool new stuff.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:05 pm

During my leveling on beta, I have regularly been given a choice between holy, prot, and ret gear for quest rewards. I don't think they've been giving spec-based quest rewards for some time now.

Many of the quests still only have one reward (say, a ret piece), but I don't think it's choosing that one based on my prot spec. I think it's analogous to the old system, where quest A rewards one of {healer cloth, agi leather, spellpower mail, ret/str plate}. All the new system is doing is collapsing that down to just the rewards of appropriate armor type, in this case ret plate.

I don't remember if I've seen much Holy gear though, so take that with a grain of salt. I've certainly gotten a lot of ret gear though, despite not having respecced once yet on beta.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Darielle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Every quest that's actually rewards items for just "me" (aka hasn't included Cloth/Leather etc.) has offered all specs gear for many patches now.

Prot in DPS gear kills things fairly fast and the DPS stats make you very tanky too.
Darielle

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Per this post, Vengeance will provide 5% of damage on types that aren't affected by armor.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Mistana » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Theck, I just read through http://sacredduty.net/2012/08/17/mop-be ... ts-b15983/ and I can't figure out Delta Sigma ( \Delta_\Sigma= 0.4550 ) between Delta_P and Delta_M (not including ShotR effects). If I'm deciphering \Delta_{\Sigma} = \frac{1}{f_\Sigma}F_{ar}\Phi_{\Sigma}F_{b}F_{S} correctly, it's multiplying the effects of Block from mastery with ShotR from Mastery? I used to tutor Calculus in college, but it's been 3 years since I've used it, so I'm a bit rusty. I assume that Delta_m is mastery, Delta_p is parry, Delta_s is the portion of block/effects of mastery due to ShotR, Delta_h is hit, and Delta_e is expertise. I'm not sure what symbol you are using for haste.
Mistana

Postby theckhd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 pm

I defined all of the variables in the previous blog post, with the full derivation. Each \Delta is the stat weight value for a particular stat. \Delta_p and \Delta_d are parry and dodge, \Delta_\Sigma is for strength, \Delta_m is mastery, \Delta_s is haste, \Delta_h is hit, \Delta_e is expertise.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta