Remove Advertisements

MoP Goblin profiteering theorycrafting

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: MoP Goblin profiteering theorycrafting

Postby halabar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm

bldavis wrote:well there are the new mounts and such that can be made from eng, so im not dropping it, but i wont have it on a main toon

They are pricey to make, and BoE, so....

Waiting to see what happens with the Cogwheels. But one of my mains will need to be a JC at some point. Perhaps I do that on the mage.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Gab » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:51 pm

halabar wrote:More bad news for crafter alts...

The new Primal Diamond cut patterns are dropping in Jade Forest. They are BoP. /groan

Gab wrote: I did find two meta patterns off random mobs while questing in Townlong Steppes or Kun-Lai Summit but they were both PvP oriented.

So far I have found:
Crit/Spell Reflect
Crit/Fear Duration
Crit/Snare and Root Duration
Stam/Stun Duration

Although it could be purely coincidence all of those are PvP related. Curious as to what you found. Almost all of that was in the course of leveling before the experience requirement increase so if drops rates stay as high as they seem now it might not be too bad.
Gab

Postby halabar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Gab wrote: Almost all of that was in the course of leveling before the experience requirement increase so if drops rates stay as high as they seem now it might not be too bad.

If you had planned on leveling your JCer.. /groan.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:33 pm

with all the rep recipes and such, why would you not level any crafting toon?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 pm

bldavis wrote:with all the rep recipes and such, why would you not level any crafting toon?

Trying to scale back... especially with rep, that's a pain.

Probably will focus on 2 toons. Mage and hunter. (Inscript/Eng) and (mining/Eng), might drop Eng on the mage for JC.

halabar

Postby Xequecal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Also remember that Spirits of Harmony are bind on pickup, so you want a profession on your main that can actually use them past the first half-dozen you get. The gathering professions can't use them. Enchanting and Engineering have no use for them at all after you make your goggles and 2 other items, and Inscription has almost none. (I doubt anyone is going to want to spend 10 of them for an extra darkmoon card per day) JC will also eventually run out of a use for them, once everything is researched it doesn't craft you anything. BS/LW/Alch/Tailoring will always be able to use them to make permanent enhancements, living steel, and belt buckles.
Xequecal

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Xequecal wrote:Also remember that Spirits of Harmony are bind on pickup, so you want a profession on your main that can actually use them past the first half-dozen you get. The gathering professions can't use them. Enchanting and Engineering have no use for them at all after you make your goggles and 2 other items, and Inscription has almost none. (I doubt anyone is going to want to spend 10 of them for an extra darkmoon card per day) JC will also eventually run out of a use for them, once everything is researched it doesn't craft you anything. BS/LW/Alch/Tailoring will always be able to use them to make permanent enhancements, living steel, and belt buckles.

Actually, Wowhead is showing that for JC, the two main items are pets that can be made, that are not BoP, so fine there, and Eng uses them to create the rocket mounts.

So no real problem there.

Alch sucks in the coming tier.

Tailoring actually uses almost none of them, at least according to the latest Wowhead info.

So unless you already have LW leveled, or are interested in Tailoring, Eng/JC isn't bad at all. Because friends don't ask friends to level LW.

halabar

Postby Xequecal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:10 pm

halabar wrote:
Xequecal wrote:Also remember that Spirits of Harmony are bind on pickup, so you want a profession on your main that can actually use them past the first half-dozen you get. The gathering professions can't use them. Enchanting and Engineering have no use for them at all after you make your goggles and 2 other items, and Inscription has almost none. (I doubt anyone is going to want to spend 10 of them for an extra darkmoon card per day) JC will also eventually run out of a use for them, once everything is researched it doesn't craft you anything. BS/LW/Alch/Tailoring will always be able to use them to make permanent enhancements, living steel, and belt buckles.

Actually, Wowhead is showing that for JC, the two main items are pets that can be made, that are not BoP, so fine there, and Eng uses them to create the rocket mounts.

So no real problem there.

Alch sucks in the coming tier.

Tailoring actually uses almost none of them, at least according to the latest Wowhead info.

So unless you already have LW leveled, or are interested in Tailoring, Eng/JC isn't bad at all. Because friends don't ask friends to level LW.

Ok yes, JC can make the pets. Are a lot of people going to buy those? I doubt it. Nobody wanted the dragonling pet engineering could make, even in the first week. The engineering mounts are going to be extremely low volume as well, seeing as they cost about a half-million gold each. (Orb of Mystery is vendor sold, 100k) It's not like belt buckles and leg enchants where every player in the game will need dozens of them as they upgrade gear and flesh out their offspecs.

Tailoring can use them to make extra Imperial Silk every day, which will always be useful.

Why is leveling LW so bad? It's better than leveling Enchanting and paying 10g per infinite dust. In fact if you have an enchanter alt you can make money leveling it by just disenchanting what you make, again because of the absurd prices on low level dusts.

Alch certainly sucks for making money, which I admit is what this thread is about, but plenty of tanks (especially Druids) will still take it because it's the only way to get bonus armor through a profession bonus.
Xequecal

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

JC pets: For the limited time I was selling the Enchanting pets, they were fairly steady (and I recall them being decent on the AH thread.) And with Pokewow, they should at least have some initial value.

I think LW is a pain mostly because it requires so many skins, and skinning takes a lot more effort than mining/herbing, which means it turns a lot of people off of it (thereby limiting the supply in the AH.) Mining/herbing isn't limited to certain mobs, it's more of an "enter zone, fly around, mine/herb nodes." Granted, if you're lucky, you can find an area with skinnable mobs that people are questing in (and looting!) so you can get "free" skins.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby superworm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:49 am

In my opinion, LW is generally the hardest profession to level. It requires enormous amount of low-level leather which generally does not appear on AH or is being sold at an outrageous price. I leveled LW on 2 of my characters during cata and it was such a pain. Actually I had to use my another skinning alt to skin low level mobs for the leather myself because even if I had bitten the bullet and bought all the leather in AH it would have been far from enough. It took such a long time and was so exhausting.
And I really don't see why enchanting should be considered to be difficult to level. On my server the enchanting material is quite cheap. Even if it is expensive on some servers, you can always use your JC/BS/tailoring alts to make some low level gear for you to disenchant. As bars/cloth are generally easy to obtain, it really cost much less gold and time than LW.
superworm

Postby Xequecal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:38 am

superworm wrote:In my opinion, LW is generally the hardest profession to level. It requires enormous amount of low-level leather which generally does not appear on AH or is being sold at an outrageous price. I leveled LW on 2 of my characters during cata and it was such a pain. Actually I had to use my another skinning alt to skin low level mobs for the leather myself because even if I had bitten the bullet and bought all the leather in AH it would have been far from enough. It took such a long time and was so exhausting.
And I really don't see why enchanting should be considered to be difficult to level. On my server the enchanting material is quite cheap. Even if it is expensive on some servers, you can always use your JC/BS/tailoring alts to make some low level gear for you to disenchant. As bars/cloth are generally easy to obtain, it really cost much less gold and time than LW.

Maybe my server is weird. Current cheapest AH prices for Dream Dust - 10g each, Illusion Dust - 15g each, Infinite Dust - 8g each. Arcane Dust is cheap, I have no idea why. Vision Dust has none on the AH so I don't know the price, it's probably obscenely high as well. At these prices, you're looking at 50k gold to level enchanting from scratch. There's just no easy way to get enchanting mats without already having an enchanter.

I also just compared the leather costs, and from thick leather and forward the cost of the recipe mats that just take leather and storebought crap are generally less than half of the AH value of the dust it disenchants into. You just have to get through medium/heavy and then you start making money.

For example, Borean Leather is 30g a stack, for 8 Borean Leather you can make a green that disenchants into an average of 3.5 infinite dust and 0.75 lesser cosmics. That triples your money right there while skilling up. Rugged Leather is going for about 3.75g each, even taking the stupid easy route you can make Runic Leather Belts for 40g. These disenchant into an average of 3 illusion dust and 0.75 greater eternals which you can turn around and sell for 70g. If you manage to find some cheap essences of water you can probably also triple your money with frostsaber gear.
Xequecal

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 am

but to get up to thick leather, you have to go through light leather, medium leather, light and medium hides (which are rare drops as it is and you need alot) abd then heavy leather nad hides
if you dont have a skinner, it is a huge PITA

as far as leveling an enchanter, if you are doing it at max level, find what dungeons drop the level range you need to disenchant for mats and solo it a few times
if you have crafting alts, esp while leveling them, the shuffle is an easy way to get mats
i leveled my mages tailoring and my pallys enchanting together for a reason

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 am

superworm wrote:In my opinion, LW is generally the hardest profession to level.

If all professions are as easy to level as enchanting has been during the beta the biggest issue I had with Cataclysm will be resolved. So many +5/4/3 enchants learned while leveling. Also they removed lesser essences from the game. I actually have a Greater Essence from an earlier beta build and it has no use.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 am

The one issue I have with LW on the beta currently, is that mail requires the raredrop scales, exclusively, so I can look forward to levelling LW without benefit for my hunter untill I get past the usefulness most likely - otoh my rogue will have a field day with levelling lw (yes, I'm a masochist, I have volountarily levelled a second lw)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 am

Xequecal wrote:Ok yes, JC can make the pets. Are a lot of people going to buy those? I doubt it. Nobody wanted the dragonling pet engineering could make, even in the first week. The engineering mounts are going to be extremely low volume as well, seeing as they cost about a half-million gold each. (Orb of Mystery is vendor sold, 100k) It's not like belt buckles and leg enchants where every player in the game will need dozens of them as they upgrade gear and flesh out their offspecs.

I think the pets will sell due to their relative rarity. (Also depends on how good the models are, haven't seen them yet).

Yes, the engineering mounts will be expensive, but.. you are likely not going to make many of them anyway. Given the current drop rate on motes of Harmony, and the fact that the mounts require 12 of them, I'm guessing that while leveling I might only get enough to make 2 of the mounts, at most.

Frankly, I think Blizz has screwed this up royally, and that's why you see them keep making recipe changes and removing the Spirits of Harmony as requirements.

I expect them to remove them from the LW enchants as well, otherwise Cata leg enchants are going to be the default, as the Panda ones will be obscenely expensive.

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta