Remove Advertisements

5.0.4 PTR

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: 5.0.4 PTR

Postby stevos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 am

daishan wrote:Ye ultra isn't a problem with the high cd up time we have on that I've been running dps gear on it for a while now.
It's stuff like Zon if the person we're boosting gets in the way and causes an extra bounce or if the ship hates us and puts fire everywhere along with unlucky warmaster debuff stacking. That stops me from going too mad on the rest of the bosses, if our rogue stops slacking and signs up for a run I'll steal tricks and risk some silly gear set up :D

We are already taking 15+ bounces on Zon, without my health moving all that much, i suspect in the same gear we could easily take 9 or 10.
stevos

Postby Yelena » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm

stevos wrote:I can't run WOL unforunetely. My wow install is on an SSD and running logs would kill it fast. I haven't found a way to redirect the logs to another directory.

It's easy, make a symbolic link.

I run WoW out of one of my SSDs, and have all log files written to my striped array, which uses magnetic disks.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby stevos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Yelena wrote:
stevos wrote:I can't run WOL unforunetely. My wow install is on an SSD and running logs would kill it fast. I haven't found a way to redirect the logs to another directory.

It's easy, make a symbolic link.

I run WoW out of one of my SSDs, and have all log files written to my striped array, which uses magnetic disks.

Able to give me idiots guide on how to do that?
stevos

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:15 pm

I just log on my SSD... it only writes to the log file once every 20 seconds or so, in my experience. Sometimes longer (though it may depend on the number of events, I've only looked at it during dummy testing).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby stevos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm

theckhd wrote:I just log on my SSD... it only writes to the log file once every 20 seconds or so, in my experience. Sometimes longer (though it may depend on the number of events, I've only looked at it during dummy testing).

Typical raid writes a couple of hundred megabytes. When we were running 25man, i was getting 2gb logs if i forgot to upload them for a week. That level of writes is why i stopped running WoL. Not sure what 10's are like, but rather not kill my SSD if i can avoid it.

Unlikely to be a problem, as i will probably replace the SSD before it drops below the size of WoW but knowing my luck it will happen at the worst time.
stevos

Postby Yelena » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm

stevos wrote:Able to give me idiots guide on how to do that?

If you're running Windows: mklink

theckhd wrote:I just log on my SSD... it only writes to the log file once every 20 seconds or so, in my experience. Sometimes longer (though it may depend on the number of events, I've only looked at it during dummy testing).

Depends on the SSD (primarily the age/generation). The one I'm using for WoW is a recommissioned older drive from a system I retired a while back. It handles logging 10m raids without a problem, 25m raids were another beast altogether; I'd get a brief stutter every time the file was being written to.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby stevos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Its not the ability to write the data that concerns me, its the limited number of writes each cell has on an ssd.

Will check out mklink
Last edited by stevos on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevos

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Most of my 25-man raid logs are in the 90-200 MB range, depending on length. I usually clear out my log directory every few months, but it's not uncommon for it to grow to 20GB or so.

I've never seen it stutter when it writes to the log though, as far as I can tell. I have a Vertex 3 though, which is a newer drive.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby stevos » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:29 pm

A typical consumer grade SSD is designed to last for 2-3 years, based on normal levels of writes. Even enterprise level SSD's aren't a lot better. Your dealing with cutting edge tech here. The drive itself won't just stop working after that period, but you will see the available space slowly reduce as the cells are used up.

This is why people used to move their windows cache files off the SSD, to reduce the number of writes.

Now prices have dropped a lot, its not worth worrying about too much.

I just tend to be overly caution, when it comes to my Wow directory, hence trying to avoid as much writes as possible. I don't think wow itself writes that much data to the drive, but could be wrong.

I am running Wow on a old 32gb SSD as the only thing on the drive, so don't have a huge amount of spare space to lose. Anyhow symbolic links to my main spindal drive should work nicely.
stevos

Postby rodos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:53 pm

With a modern SSD, I think there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Any SSD is probably good for 5+ years high-intensity workload.
http://maxschireson.com/2011/04/21/debunking-ssd-lifespan-and-random-write-performance-concerns/

Even with your small, older drive I think it's just fine. Let's say WoW is about 24 GB (mine is a tad under that), leaving 8 GB free space on your disk. If your drive is wear-leveling across that, and you're writing 2 GB/week that's 4 weeks to do one write cycle on all the free blocks (more or less). A modern drive will do about 100k cycles, but yours is old, so let's pessimistically say 10k cycle lifespan. At that rate you could record logs every week for over 750 years without killing your drive.

Now, of course there is other things being written to the WoW disk, but it's not that much, and if theck is right about a 20s flush interval then write amplification (caused by lots of small writes) won't be a big problem either.
rodos

Postby theckhd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:08 am

It could potentially be more in a raid situation, I'm not sure. I've only ever tested it while doing log testing on beta/PTR, so the activity level is relatively small. As such, I don't know if it's time-based or activity-based. If it dumps to file after every X lines of combat (or Y MB of log data), for example, then it could be writing to file every second. If it's time-based, then it's probably not changed much. And of course, it could be some combination (20 seconds or X lines, whichever comes first).
theckhd

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:28 pm

just tried logging into PTR, and its down

maintenance?
patch internment?

leave your speculations below! :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

They publicly posted that both Beta and PTR realms will be down. No need to speculate.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Flex wrote:They publicly posted that both Beta and PTR realms will be down. No need to speculate.

i completely missed it then :?

move along, nothing to see here

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 pm

bldavis wrote:
Flex wrote:They publicly posted that both Beta and PTR realms will be down. No need to speculate.

i completely missed it then :?

move along, nothing to see here

Thou shalt consult the oracle of MMO-Champion, as they are indeed the harbringers of doom and good cheer. Thou shalt not trust them whole-heartledly, as their visions can be clouded at times.
Thou shalt consult the scyer of Wowhead later, as they are always late, and often their visions are more clouded, and their scribes are prone to error.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta