[Prot Paladin] PvE Gear List (MoP)

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: [Prot Paladin] PvE Gear List (MoP)

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 pm

melisandyr wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I have about 9k valour at the moment, and wondered how worthwhile it would be keeping them. Seems like it will be on the safe side to retain them.

I'm a JC, so hoping a few nice neck and ring options might be available to me through that.

I was also considering the "best" route to level to 90 - I love questing generally, so I wondered if I should go for the zones, or do the first two levels in Dungeons, as was popular in Cataclysm.

Hope this hasn't strayed too far off topic.

What's your other profession? If you want to make the JC mounts, you'll need rep from 4 factions anyway. Other professions also have some items that are rep requirements. Check the other thread for that info.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby lythac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 am

Gab wrote:-I'm not sure where the patterns come from, maybe I missed it as there has been a lot of information lately, but if they are difficult to obtain (i.e. require rep or world drop etc...) then that could slow down your gearing strategy.

-Trilium, or other mats, may be difficult to come by.

Speaking of the crafted gear, it seems to be crafted at max level so there won't be cheap under mat cost items that you can snap up.

However if you are looking for failsafe items and don't mind farming some honor (which you can do now) there are quite a few PvP 464 items which are superior to the PvE crafted 450. Hell, some PvP honor 464 gear is not so far behind Heroic drops and if you have farmed the honor in advance is available as soon as you ding.

Failsafe PvP items that grabbed my eye as being not far behind 463 PvE items -

Dreadful Gladiator's Scaled Helm Expertise/Mastery

Possibly the most important piece of failsafe gear as it comes with a Meta socket, which the crafted 450 does not currently have.

Dreadful Gladiator's Cloak of Prowess Hit/Mastery

Direct upgrade to crafted 450.

Dreadful Gladiator's Signet of Accuracy Hit/Mastery

Not a bad ring, failsafe and seeing as you need two rings you might keep it for a while.

This item comparison has 2 failsafe items, crafted 450 PvE boots and 464 PvP honor boots with crit -.-, which you would assume would be terrible. Due to them having a socket and increased sta they are actually better. As secondary stats are doubled on gems that socket is worth quite a bit, not sure that you would gem secondary stats but for the sake of the comparison it is very easy to show the PvP boots are superior even gemming dodge as opposed to Sta.

450 PvE boots -

+86 Dodge

464 PvP boots -

+123 Sta
+169 Mastery
+173 Armor
+10 Parry
+2 Str
+242 Crit

These PvP boots don't really hold up against Heroic drops but are quite nice as failsafe.

After looking at this, I suspect for DPS/healer chars can bypass the need for doing 5 man heroics if they want to farm honor instead (maybe not trinkets). Which also means if you do get PvP gear as failsafe, once you are done with it it makes decent ret gear \o/
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby lythac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 am

melisandyr wrote:Hope this hasn't strayed too far off topic.

Nah it is all good. The way we get to 90 and what to do once we hit 90 has implications on where the gear list should start and our failsafe items.

Failsafe, because I haven't said it enough in my last posts.
lythac

Postby lythac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 am

Thoughts I have been having on the bus on my way to work -

Strength has become more valuable for our survival.
Hit, Expertise and Haste have all become more valuable for our survival.

Mastery has lost its massive lead.

We now compete with DPS for DPS so in our gearing should we start to value DPS stats for both their survival and damage portions of the stat (not threat, threat is gone). Maybe not to the same extent as our survival stats but have we reached the point where DPS should feature into our general gearing philosophy due to active mitigation and clever use of CDs playing a greater role in our survival than RNG avoidance stats especially now we have lost block cap.

A higher ilvl piece will favour comparably to a lower piece on both Stamina and Strength now as opposed to it currently being just Stamina. With the secondary stats being more level in their value (esp if we start to consider their DPS) it seems we are becoming Bears in what we gear for. Secondary stats don't matter so much as the Str and Sta on a higher ilvl item outweigh better secondary stats. Also reforging.

The only gear that I see as being truly worthless currently is Crit/Haste items.
lythac

Postby Hespherus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:40 am

lythac wrote:However if you are looking for failsafe items and don't mind farming some honor (which you can do now) there are quite a few PvP 464 items which are superior to the PvE crafted 450. Hell, some PvP honor 464 gear is not so far behind Heroic drops and if you have farmed the honor in advance is available as soon as you ding.

Failsafe PvP items that grabbed my eye as being not far behind 463 PvE items -

Dreadful Gladiator's Scaled Helm Expertise/Mastery

Possibly the most important piece of failsafe gear as it comes with a Meta socket, which the crafted 450 does not currently have.

Dreadful Gladiator's Cloak of Prowess Hit/Mastery

Direct upgrade to crafted 450.

Dreadful Gladiator's Signet of Accuracy Hit/Mastery

Not a bad ring, failsafe and seeing as you need two rings you might keep it for a while.

This item comparison has 2 failsafe items, crafted 450 PvE boots and 464 PvP honor boots with crit -.-, which you would assume would be terrible. Due to them having a socket and increased sta they are actually better. As secondary stats are doubled on gems that socket is worth quite a bit, not sure that you would gem secondary stats but for the sake of the comparison it is very easy to show the PvP boots are superior even gemming dodge as opposed to Sta.

450 PvE boots -

+86 Dodge

464 PvP boots -

+123 Sta
+169 Mastery
+173 Armor
+10 Parry
+2 Str
+242 Crit

These PvP boots don't really hold up against Heroic drops but are quite nice as failsafe.

After looking at this, I suspect for DPS/healer chars can bypass the need for doing 5 man heroics if they want to farm honor instead (maybe not trinkets). Which also means if you do get PvP gear as failsafe, once you are done with it it makes decent ret gear \o/

This is actually nice info. How many honor points will we be able to stack for MoP? Or will the number get reseted on the 25th of Sep?
Hespherus

Postby daishan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 am

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2330 ... s-504-you/
Fairly sure that means we can carry over 4k hp and 4k jp
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Gab » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 am

Lythac, Good point about the honor gear. Between 2-3 pcs of both justice and honor gear we should be able to ding 90 and queue for heroics straight away.

Also should be no problem being ready for Vaults normal with the newly itemized honor gear to fill in spots where RNG from heroics wasn't favorable and the fact that it wont open until after the first week.

Going to feel much less rushed for this expansion which is awesome.
Gab

Postby Hexzon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:47 am

Gab wrote:Going to feel much less rushed for this expansion which is awesome.

You know i'm feeling the exact opposite. Look gearing for raids not to hard getting into heroics is easy,the crafted gear Is easy tto making getting the skill for them and the mats arnt that hard.
And there is a few nice honor gear too. Not to meantion mop heroics arnt that hard to clear at least on beta

Whats making it rushed for me is i know i have to be full heroics hear 463 ,7 days into the expansion to be ready to clean mogo vaults so week 3 ,14 dats in can start heroic,and in theae 14 days i have to get involved in every world boss kill i can aswell as make sure i cap valor and work on my reps go get those revered rep items.

Simply because raiding is stalled for a week it means as main tank i need to be prepares and dont have excuses,there is no waiting for people to level or people to gear , thr time frame has been set as 7 days.
Hexzon

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 pm

melisandyr wrote:I have about 9k valour at the moment, and wondered how worthwhile it would be keeping them. Seems like it will be on the safe side to retain them.

You may have already discovered this, but keeping 9k VP for the xpac won't be possible. I believe it's all been converted to JP now, and anything over 4k JP will be converted to gold. Even if we were able to keep some VP, the cap is 3k, so anything over that I'd assume would also be converted.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta