Mists of Pandaria

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mists of Pandaria

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Heck, T7+T8 had more bosses than all of Cata

Although the argument can be made that T7 was repeat content, that's still pretty telling.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:20 am

might be, but you could also counter-argue that they still had to retrofit Naxx for the new levels and account for 10s and 25s version and that a very small fraction of players actually saw the original naxx
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:25 am

I can't help but think they overstretched on Cata. The whole "old world revamp" was probably much bigger than anything they expected. When I read about them giving "the old talent systems one last chance", I can't help but hear "We had to either cut that or something else".

Which, incidentally, makes me think that's what happened to the item squich idea. It was either that or something else on the chopping block.
And gets me to think about that note about Blizzard being starved for good employees.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Lieris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 am

I like how they used the old world revamp taking up so many resources as an excuse for Cataclysm being so poor yet they now say that things like pokemon aren't taking any resources away from anything else. If the former is true they assign priorities to things and allocate animators, artists, modelers, programmers, writers etc. accordingly.

I don't feel that dungeon content is a priority for Blizzard anymore. If it was we would have had War of the Ancients as a massive T13 raid instead of Well of Eternity as a highly scripted 3 boss 5 man as a companion to what is widely regarded as the worst raid since TOGC for 10 months.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 am

You mean to tell me that Blizz is not being consistent?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Lieris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 am

Working as intended.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 am

Lieris wrote:Working as intended.

*nods*
---
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 am

The following may be a bit harsh (to Blizz):

OK, assume they are strapped for devs/time. Why then did they release all that post-cap (raids and heroic 5-mans) content the expansion team worked on pre-release at one time? Spacing it out, so that later tiers wouldn't have only had a couple of 5-mans and/or 1 raid per tier would have likely moderated the feeling that players have that Blizz started phoning it in towards the end.

No, I don't think they are strapped for solid devs. I think they are strapped for good managers.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 am

Well, I remember reading about why they don't hire more people... supposedly, its not just about being good, but also about believing in the philosophy/vision they have of the game.

Which is understandable, but runs the risk of ending with an echo chamber effect in the process.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Taikishi » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 am

Klaudandus wrote:You mean to tell me that Blizz is not being consistent?

Taikishi

Postby benebarba » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:40 am

Klaudandus wrote:Well, I remember reading about why they don't hire more people... supposedly, its not just about being good, but also about believing in the philosophy/vision they have of the game.

Which is understandable, but runs the risk of ending with an echo chamber effect in the process.

Yep - totally understandable, actually. It's pretty much what any company tries to do (some better than others), and is one of the strengths of smaller companies (being able to have a coherent vision that clearly applies to everything you do, and being able to only hire those who truly mesh with it). But along with it comes certain dangers, such as the one you point out.

I mean, I can understand the 'we gotta wow 'em outta the gate!' idea that meant that a ton of stuff gets dropped with an expansion. But seriously, at some point someone has to stop and say 'You know, no matter what we try, we still release content later than we and our customers would like. Maybe we should change the philosophy of our design and release cycle.' - and perhaps people do, but if the management chain isn't flexible enough to adapt to that (or worse: doesn't recognize it as a problem)... well, nothing changes.

Who knows, maybe things will be different this time. But I'm not going to get my hopes up.

<-- wishes he could turn his pessimism switch off, but grad school broke it in the on position.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 am

They've implied very strongly that the next tier is a 10-boss instance, which is still a reduction in environments and bosses however you look at it. They're staggering T14 this time, which is a step in the right direction, but it's a very brief thing. Maybe they really should hold back and stagger raids throughout the life of the expansion...
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:They've implied very strongly that the next tier is a 10-boss instance, which is still a reduction in environments and bosses however you look at it. They're staggering T14 this time, which is a step in the right direction, but it's a very brief thing. Maybe they really should hold back and stagger raids throughout the life of the expansion...

Well, that's also assuming they want to use that content as a primary method to keep people happy. It's entirely possible that they're started down a road where it really is 'the wider audience' they are trying to appease and as a result they'll simply be putting their resources into less-developed areas to facilitate that even if it makes another segment less happy.
benebarba

Postby Newsom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm guessing they have a lot more resources available for an expansion than a patch. T11 was phenomenal, and I'm sure T4 will be. Will not be surprised if I'm disappointed by T15.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Paxen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Ulduar was fantastic, and that was the second tier of Wrath.

That could be because they reused Naxx, so they could start working on Ulduar earlier.
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta