Mists of Pandaria

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mists of Pandaria

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 am

theckhd wrote:Combining Lumenactio's list with Klaud's list, it looks like base mana is exactly 20k at level 85 (it's 23,422 in Cata).

I can confirm this from beta. Does anyone have any other questions?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Qeeze » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 am

Interesting change to Valor points

Ghostcrawler wrote:The Future of Valor

The second change I want to mention is that we plan to adjust the role of Valor points. Valor (or the various other names that the currency has had over the years) was originally added to WoW for two reasons: it helped to mitigate really bad luck, for those times when the boss just refused to drop the item you wanted, and it helped encourage players to stay with the group even if they didn't need anything off the next boss.

Over time, we have felt like Valor has taken on too prominent a role, to the point that it risks becoming more important than actual boss loot. This is particularly the case when the tier sets are available on the Valor vendors. We think killing dragons and ransacking their hoard is more epic than shopping at the magic armor store, so we want to shift back toward boss kills being the primary source of epic PvE gear.

In Mists of Pandaria, Valor will be used to power a new feature that allows you to increase the item level of your existing epic items. This means that each week, you can become a little more powerful, hopefully allowing you to kill that boss that has eluded you thus far. There will be a bit of a game in trying to decide when to upgrade your gear versus hoping for a new piece to drop from a raid boss, but our plan is that even heroic gear can be upgraded slightly in this way.

We won't allow you to upgrade Raid Finder gear so much that it becomes better than normal gear, but imagine if you can increase your item level by around eight points. At this time, we're thinking there won't be gear on the Valor vendors at all, but we'll see how that shakes out. Valor will come primarily from dungeons (including challenge modes) and scenarios. You might earn a little from daily quests and raiding as well, but that won't be as efficient.
Qeeze

Postby Worldie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am

If they don't introduce a total cap to the feature will be substantially misused as noone will want to "waste" limited resource on non-BiS gear.
They should make heroic gear non upgradable if they want to introduce this.
Or make it not have a weekly / daily cap, in which case it would just be something else to farm.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby theckhd » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 am

I don't really care for the new Valor idea, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the implementation. I don't like the idea of getting a BiS piece and needing to farm for a week to fully upgrade it (or for that matter, doing so for every item). But if it only takes a day per item, the system is trivial and meaningless. And if it's capped at 8 ilvls per item, then it doesn't serve the same purpose Valor gear does now (namely filling gaps in loot table itemization and providing alternative itemizations).

On the other hand, it would greatly increase the value in running previous-tier content, which I like.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Qeeze » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 am

I like this change as it keeps VP's useful after the fist 6 weeks of a new tier. It sounds like we'll probably see the end of selling VP boots and wrists as well.

Since you won't get a lot of VP's from raiding (if any), allowing us to upgrade epics we do have by 8 item level points is a great idea to motivate players to do the new challenge and scenario mode stuff.

Don't fear change. Make them work for you.
Qeeze

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:06 am

Hmm. Making it harder to cap from raiding than from Heroics and Scenarios is an odd decision. It's forcing raiders to visit non-raid content again.

The "extra loot roll" kinda forces min-maxers into dailies (as does sticking head enchants on the same token system), but that doesn't feel the same as the guaranteed ability to increase your gear level half a tier, which will feel required by a much larger portion of the player base.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am

I always assume dungeons includes raids and 5 mans.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Invisusira » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:42 am

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to wait and see how it all works after launch before deciding if I like the change or not.
Invisusira

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 pm

The major impact of this change that I see is for those with altitis, or those that run multiple toons to fill raid slots.

The good:
The "bads" won't be able to boost ilvls too far by just farming valor and buying that gear.
The "bads" will have better balanced gear as they will be upgrading all their gear, not distorting their ilvl with valor gear while the rest of their gear sucks.
Everyone will have another means to provide some upgrades to a slot where a raid drop doesn't.

The bad:
Folks with altitis are in for a LOT of dungeons..
You might waste valor on upgrades that get replaced by a raid drop.
BIS gear isn't.

Adding to this the other reputation based sources for valor as well as things to spend valor on, and I see the death of many many alts. People are going to be a lot more focused on their mains.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Weebey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 pm

I think there is a difference between asking raiders to complete daily quests for rep/farm, and asking them to run 5-mans and scenarios. I think Theck made this point somewhere else: WoW is essentially a big, open world game, and at its "core" it is about interacting with that world. Requiring people to go out there and do things, so long as the demands are reasonable and said interaction isn't too uninteresting, seems entirely appropriate, and can serve to make the instanced content more engaging. I don't think the "log in, raid, log out for the week" model is particularly healthy.

On the other hand, 5-mans and scenarios are basically much easier raids. Running them doesn't make you feel like you are interacting with a dynamic online world--it feels like a chore, at least when you HAVE to run a certain number of them each week to maximize player power. Obviously it is still early, but as described I think the planned valor model is quite problematic.
Weebey

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Is it just me, or are pandarens OP with their food racial?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Worldie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:50 pm

The food racial easily classifies as the most powerful PvE racial right now.

It's a tad ahead of the 1% stat ones. At least, I believe at level 85 +90 Int/Str/Agi is better than +1% crit/hit/haste.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I think min/max raids will racial change to Pandas, with the benefit that the race is actually available for both factions, wherever the class/race combo allows it
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Is it just me, or are pandarens OP with their food racial?

With the downside that it is food-based so you will have to eat occasionally, and after every death. Might be annoying when you are leveling.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I think min/max raids will racial change to Pandas, with the benefit that the race is actually available for both factions, wherever the class/race combo allows it

cue the QQ about having to get a furry to get the best racial :P

On the valor topic, I'm actually not even making a judgement yet. It seems they are describing an extension of reforging, except you get to add stats rather than move them around, and instead of gold you pay with VP. Which sounds handy, especially if you are in the position where your VP is rendered useless because the vendor gear isn't as well itemized as something from a previous tier, and so incremental upgrades are tough. On the other hand, it sounds like it is possible to have a lot more 'wasted' valor, as you get higher level drops. Or, it will lead to point-hording until you get something worth dumping the points into (I'm thinking the equivalent of making the call on paying for an epic gem vs a blue).

I would find it very odd if in the end the 5-mans were the place to get VP quickly (#/time), since it would seem like you'd basically be telling raiders they have to do 5-mans to keep getting better gear... unless normal and heroic raid drops couldn't be upgraded the same way. But at that point, why have a 'raid-level' currency at all?
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta