Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Andurin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:40 am

Got a golden Velen out of a pack early in the weekend, and figured i`d combine it with the Malygos I got earlier...

Its tough to get it on the field, but having both of them and then trowing out a mindblast for 20 points of damage does make me giggle a bit ^^ (only worked twice for 5 games sadly :( )
Andurin

Postby Ironshield » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:53 am

Finally drafted a legendary after many an arena run... drew it precisely once and died the round before I could play it :( oh well.
Ironshield

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 am

Passionario wrote:I can't break out of the rank 12-10 limbo. Tried everything from ramp to handlock to zoo to miracle to shockadin to control warrior, but nothing works.

I don't think it's a good idea to switch a lot. The last few seasons I've been trying to pick one deck and mostly stick to that - you take one you're relatively comfortable with, and play it non-stop so that you learn the ins and outs and your win rate starts to rise. When you stop and move to another deck, you're resetting all that experience and starting over.

The hard part's picking the right deck in the first place, and working out when to make tweaks to it to suit what you're seeing on the ladder. I'm not very good at the latter.

Edit: Not related, but after writing this post I've had something of an epiphany, and decided I'm going to fit a Naturalize into my Druid deck. I think it'll give me an edge in the Druid mirror match (and Druids are everywhere in the top 5 ranks).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 am

The problem is that I'm too easily tilted (I think that's the term).

It usually goes like this. I start playing a deck and it's the best deck ever. Opponents fall like flies, stars come in a flurry, my Warsong portrait becomes a BGH, the BGH becomes an Ogre... and then I start losing badly. Losing to aggro, to control, to matchups that are supposed to be bad and to ones that are supposed to be good, and, of course, to mirror (which is particularly frustrating, since it's the same deck, except piloted by someone who is clearly a better player than me). I eke out a couple more wins, but each is followed by multiple losses. In the end, I find myself at the start of rank 12, full of misery, frustration and loathing for the deck.

Then I decide to try a different approach, since my current one is clearly not working. I start playing another deck - and guess what, it's the best deck ever. Opponents fall like flies, stars come in a flurry, I start thinking that I should've played this one in the first place... and then the cycle repeats itself.

Finally, I look at the clock, see that it's 2 AM already, and realize that I've just spent several hours with nothing but 50-60 gold and a major headache to show for it.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:38 am

Have you tried just taking a break when you start to drop back, then coming back in on the same deck?

I get that kind of cycle all the time. I won constantly from Monday to Saturday, then on Saturday afernoon I started losing everything (went from 75% to something like 40%). Sunday I got back to about 50/50, then I started to pull back ahead on Sunday evening. I stuck with the deck, stopped to eat/read/whatever when I was doing badly, and slowly got back into it. It's happened to me with every deck, a big run of wins then some bad luck. Usually it's around when you start hitting the higher ranks and meeting a slightly different mix of players and decks - it takes a while to adapt.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Have you tried just taking a break when you start to drop back, then coming back in on the same deck?

It didn't help. Still there, still losing (both games and hope).
KysenMurrin wrote:The last few seasons I've been trying to pick one deck and mostly stick to that - you take one you're relatively comfortable with, and play it non-stop so that you learn the ins and outs and your win rate starts to rise.

How much time does it usually take you to get to that point?

I've played about a couple hundred games with ramp Druid so far, but I don't feel any real improvement.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 am

Not quite sure, to be honest. I've been stalled at the rank 4/5 border for a few days, not sure if I'm improving. I do feel like I improved after the rough patch the first time I hit rank 4, though. Saturday and Sunday were bad, but now I'm consistently 50/50, even as the meta seems to be shifting against me. I'm getting better at beating Druid, I think, but the meta is shifting toward aggro Rogue and Paladin, so my win rate stays down.

I'm going to stick with it, though.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 am

I played 250 ranked games in may (according to Hearthstone Tracker), 192 with Shockadin. I made it to rank 1 (and lost four matches at 5 stars :( ) If I had played a hair better and won one of those four matches I'd have made legend, so it's a realistic number of matches to legend, for me at least.

A shockadin game lasts somewhere between 4 and 7 minutes for me, so say 7.5 minutes with requeueing. That's 1500 minutes, or 25 hours, in one month. Oops.
Paxen

Postby Ironshield » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 am

Is there a way that I can save my Hearthstone collect to a format that I can view from my phone? I like theory crafting etc... when I'm away from my PC and saving that time for actually playing. I don't have a huge collection or anything but I do have enough that I can't just remember.
Ironshield

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 am

Decided to get my own stats: This month so far I have played 218 games. 9 of those as Shaman, 12 as Mage, and 197 as Druid. Of those games, I've won 125 (57%). I've played Ranked for almost 26 hours so far this month.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 am

Ironshield wrote:Is there a way that I can save my Hearthstone collect to a format that I can view from my phone? I like theory crafting etc... when I'm away from my PC and saving that time for actually playing. I don't have a huge collection or anything but I do have enough that I can't just remember.

Being able to view your cards out of game (like the armory) would be great (also allow better interaction on websites like heartstats and tracker (is that a better application?)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 am

Yesterday I played 21 games, had a pretty much even win/loss rate, and ended 1 star lower than I began. Getting sick of being stuck in rank 5. (I hit rank 4 once, and immediately lost to two Mages back to back.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:14 am

Had a couple of bad days. Noticed I'm seeing some names I've seen before, so started making a note of player names and which deck they're running.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Rank 2! Highest I've ever been. Hopefully I won't just immediately drop back out.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 am

Awesome! You can make it, we believe in you. :)

As for me, I finally remembered Einstein's definition of insanity and decided to give Ramp a rest for now. I think I'll focus on Miracle for the rest of the season and see if I can master than one instead.
At least it appears to be more fun to play (and much less fun to play against, but that's someone else's problem).

Funniest moment with it so far: Priest hit me with a Thoughtsteal and was rewarded with Deadly Poison and a Wisp. :)
Passionario

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games