Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:30 am

Basically any Druid deck that relies on Wild Growth to accelerate their mana curve and get bigger threats out sooner.

Right now, the popular Ramp deck is one that runs double Force of Nature + Savage Roar, and I am finding that it is incredibly powerful. Those spells are very flexible compared to other burst combos, and having two of each means you can use them more freely.

My ramp deck:
Innervate x 2
Wild Growth x 2
Wrath x 2
Big Game Hunter x 1 *
Harvest Golem x 2
Savage Roar x 2
Chillwind Yeti x 2
Keeper of the Grove x 2
Swipe x 2
Azure Drake x 2
Druid of the Claw x 2
Starfall x 1 *
Black Knight *
Force of Nature x 2
Sunwalker x 2 *
Ancient of Lore x 2
Ragnaros *

I've marked with * the cards that are flexible spots, which I've filled based on preference and the metagame. I've gone with BGH and Black Knight because of Handlock, Black Knight and Starfall help with Zoolock, and I chose Ragnaros over Cenarius because of freeze mage and Miracle Rogue. The Sunwalkers are also a matter of preference (some run Argent Commander), but I like having the big solid body that's hard to remove.

It's actually very straightforward to play. You mulligan for Wild Growth and Innervate on almost every matchup. You also often want a Harvest Golem in your starting hand, or you might keep a Yeti if you have Wild Growth in your initial cards. The key is being able to drop a Harvest Golem on turn 1 or 2, or a Yeti on turn 3, and just keep building from there.

With Force of Nature + Savage Roar, especially combined with Innervates or other creatures already on the board, a win can come out of nowhere. I've had plenty of games where I've started a turn with 2 minions on the board and realised I actually have 20+ damage for lethal with the combo.

And the double combo means if you need to drop a Force of Nature to remove a big minion you can do so without sacrificing your final burst.

I had one game where the opponent kept themselves at 15 health and dropped a Defender of Argus to create two 6 health taunts - and I still had lethal. I had a 4/5 on board, and used Force of Nature + Savage Roar + Innervate + Savage Roar to kill both taunts and swing through for 18.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:22 am

Uff that deck requires several purple cards I don't have :\
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:30 am

Yeah, Druid tends to need a few of the big epics. Having to put the second Force of Nature in there makes it even more expensive that it used to be.

I still disenchant heavily even though I'm getting to a point where I have most of the more-likely-to-use cards. I won't keep anything that's not commonly used in popular decks, most of the time - makes it a little easier to craft the stuff that is used. I had to craft the second Force of Nature for this, and I only recently got a second Sunwalker. But Druid was one of the classes I played a lot with early on, so I had a lot of it.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:57 am

Eheh the only classes I can build a proper deck with at the moment are Warlock, Priest, Shaman, Paladin and Hunter, I lack several purple (thus, 400 dust cost) cards that are more or less mandatory for the other classes to even think playing them in Ranked.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 am

How much dust would you have if you go through every page of your collection and disenchant literally every card you're not currently planning to use?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am

not much, i could DE a couple of "bad" legendaries if i really wanted to but that's it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am

How bad are we talking here? If it's Millhouse, Cho, and Greenskin, DE away. ;)

Last week I DEd Greenskin to finish crafting Harrison Jones. Along with a whole bunch of commons and rares, the only gold rare I had, and one of the epic Murlocs.
Last edited by KysenMurrin on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 am

onyxia and king crush are the "bad" legendaryes i own :P

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:51 am

DE away if it helps you finish a new deck. You'll pretty much never use those.

Edit: I hit the top of rank 9, and my 80% win rate came to an end. A lot tougher at this point.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:37 am

The problem I have (pretty much in teh same boat as Worldie) is that DE'ing is ineffective - you reduce your ability by 75% each time, just in case the card you DE turns out to be important in the meta in a week (and lets face it, the meta changes suddenly).

Also, not having many cards to begin with results in t being even more "expensive" to DE, as you trade 4 cards for 1, so your collection gets smaller and smaller (and doing it just to run after the meta and what has been discovered, seems to me.. a fallecious strategy).

Personally, I'm still using my mnage deck from earlier with a few minot alterations over time (I thin) and doing okay for the amount of time I put in, last season I finished at rank 17 (not because I couldn't move up, but because I didn't actually play all that much after I got there)

To be able to be competetive you pretty much have to pay into it to get a lot of cards - I could argue for doing that since I don't have an active WoW sub so I could redirect the montly cost to HS, but I'm not sure if I would actually get enough play out of it compared to wow (decisions decisions)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 am

I dont' get too concerned about the idea that maybe a card will suddenly come into fashion. Some cards are obviously unlikely to see widespread use, others I just don't see being all that popular.

Pirates, for example, are only used in some niche decks with little success - I'd keep the 2/1 Charge and eliminate the rest. Murlocs have some viable builds, but not in the current meta, and they're not a style I like, so after trying once I now only keep the Coldlight Oracle (which has occasional use for Mage and Rogue).

And I'll just go through some classes quickly to show my thinking.

For Druid, I always automatically disenchant Savagery, Bite, and Soul of the Forest (latter could become viable some day, especially after Naxx, but it's a common so I'm not too concerned about getting it back). Paladin, I automatically DE Blessed Champion, Holy Wrath, and all Secrets except Noble Sacrifice. Again, they could be used in soem decks, but they're unlikely to be significant. Rogue, I'll DE Patient Assassin, Headcrack, Master of Disguise, and Kidnapper, because they're all just bad cards.

I do those even if I'm not currently planning to craft anything in particular. And there are many, many more Common cards I'll never keep (just from first two pages: Wisp, Chicken, Corsair, Crab, Secretkeeper, Dragonhawk).

All these little bits of dust add up. If your collection is small, any cards you're not using now or soon are just doing nothing for you.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:24 am

KysenMurrin wrote:This deck, man. This freaking deck. I'm laughing my ass off here as I shoot on up the ranks.

I wish my results with Ramp would be even nearly as good.

I keep getting slaughtered. Even Priests run rings around me! And since the deck itself is obviously very good and pretty straightforward, it's obvious that the problem is me. I'm bad and I should feel bad and so I do. :(
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 am

I've only come across two or three priests, and had trouble with them. Ramp is supposed to be good because of 4 attack minions, but doesn't feel that way.

I think my favourite matchup might actually be Miracle Rogue. That one's just about playing a 4 or 5 health body every turn so they're occupied clearing and using up their damage, then setting up for the burst finish.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Welp, I got to the top of rank 4, then my luck ended.

I've dropped back to the bottom of rank 5 from all that. :(

Edit: I've just been reminded of another automatic disenchant target: Card's you'll never play 2 of in the same deck. Gorehowl, Doomhammer, Nourish, Brawl, probably Big Game Hunter, things like that.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:05 am

I can't break out of the rank 12-10 limbo. Tried everything from ramp to handlock to zoo to miracle to shockadin to control warrior, but nothing works.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games