Remove Advertisements

Hearthstone

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Nooska » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:20 am

The more expensive cards, like Al'Akir - are they necessary in the deck?

Paxen wrote:
Nooska wrote:The one thing I really, really, REALLY miss in a lot of the articles, is discussions of what cards a MUST HAVE for the deck to work (the lynchpin cards), and discussing replacements for other cards (that aren't basics) - just to make it easier to actually make a deck without havig all the cards already.

Stuff like that is often discussed in the comments. Every article can't be like the Shockadin writeup!

I find the comments less than informative. Half of them expect you to know the lingo already to even understand tem, and half of them don't actually say anything useful (saying "X can be used instead of Y" isn't useful, saying "X does A so you can use W, Y or Z because they do A too, but [less efficiently]/[worse]/[more expensively]".

I don't like doing stuff because other people tell me it works the best - especially if I can't get stuff (same issue as BiS lists in WOW...), I want to learn WHY it works the best, so I can make informed decisions based onwhat I have available.

I don't see myself sinking any large amounts of money into the game, so crafting stuff to try a deck isn't actually an option (crafting stuff to improve a deck I like and can play is another matter ofc).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Al'Akir is a very powerful finisher when combined with other cards, and a powerful board clear otherwise. I'm not sure there's a direct replacement, but other legendaries could be used (Ragnaros, I'd say), or if you don't have those yet, you could make do with maybe putting Argent Commander in the deck (make room for 2, probably - I'd suggest swapping Lava Burst for the 2nd).

But really, Al'Akir is very powerful and should be aimed for. It's won me a few games against Zoo not just because of its damage, but because it has taunt.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:52 pm

hmm still a ways off then.

In the mean while I think I should probably play a bit more with my primitive, first go, warlock deck, just to, y'know' get the basic cards ;) - should also try some hunter I think.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:00 am

For the basic cards I just went through all of the Expert practice mode.

Anyway, I'm sure that the Shaman can work fine without Al'Akir, it's just that it's not a card that has any real analogue elsewhere.

Personally, I'm really enjoying this deck right now, don't know why I haven't played a simple Shaman like this before. Too busy trying clever tricks with giants or Ancestral Healing. Another win streak pushed me to rank 7 - I'm at 65% win rate since I started playing it.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 am

Watching Amaz right now pulling up some awesome Priest plays at Dreamhack semifinals, giving me more faith in my Priest deck :D
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Worldie wrote:Dreamhack

Well, that was ... interesting, wasn't it?

(For the record, he should have conceded as soon as that whisper came in. His own damn fault for not clearing off his list the first time he saw something. Whole thing is tainted, now.)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:09 am

I saw all the people sending him messages who clearly knew they were showing up on the stream, but I missed the actual one that got him in trouble. What did they say?

At least it was decided that it didn't effect the win, though, right?

I don't think Amaz played all that well in the final, TBH. Some mistakes that cost him. I missed his earlier games.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:17 am

Amaz played very well but he got outplayed in the final. Expecially a misplay in the very last turn made the difference between surviving a last pyro (and potentially winning the match) and being 1shot the turn after.
I was quite amused by his priest win against Handlock in the semifinal.

The whisp that made the judges mad was something in romanian hardly understandable, but clearly had the word "Hunter's Mark" in it, which was the only card the opponent had in his hand.
The judges decided to still not punish him because the match was basically already won (he had the kill in his hand, and Amaz had no chance to counter it with any of the possible draws in his deck), but still, how retarded can one be.
I at some point even suspected that the guy did it with the purpose to make him be penalyzed in fact, as I learned that the people he had in friendlist were all people he played with before in the tournament.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 am

I didn't think Amaz handled the Hunter match well at all. Particularly when he just sat and let the timer run out at the end instead of killing the Azure Drake. (I can't remember if RDU still had lethal without the spellpower, but it was still an obvious play and the only way he'd have had a chance of surviving.)

Also, doesn't playing Misdirect when Freezing Trap is up cause both of them to trigger and the Misdirect get wasted?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:51 am

No, only the freezing trap would trigger there.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:17 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Also, doesn't playing Misdirect when Freezing Trap is up cause both of them to trigger and the Misdirect get wasted?

Worldie wrote:No, only the freezing trap would trigger there.

I _think_ it depends on the order they went down. I know I've seen a "funny and lucky moments" clip where a Misdirect triggered first, picked a target, then a Freezing triggered behind it and put the attacker back in hand (without doing any damage). If the Freeze was down first, it will _probably_ trigger and resolve before the Misdirect even triggers.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am

Yeah, you're right. Did some looking around. Explosive trap always triggers (I knew this, and I know that if the misdirect target dies from the explosive trap the misdirect is wasted), but with Freezing Trap it will depend on the order you play. So it was fine playing Misdirect second.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:28 am

Been making some tweaks to my Shaman deck lately. First thing I tried was switching the Lava Burst for a Gnomish Inventor - seemed like a solid move, a 4 drop with a 4 health body, and extra card draw I felt I needed. Seemed fine for all the Rogues and Zoo I was seeing.

It didn't last long though, because above rank 10 I started running into a lot of Druids. The Lava Burst came back in, and I swapped Doomhammer for the Black Knight. A couple games in I was running out of cards, so I went and traded my Stormforged War Axe for a Loot Hoarder. Not sure how wise dropping both the weapons was, and Black Knight is very situational (useless in the occasional Miracle Rogue match), but it's working out for now.

I had some seriously bad runs after hitting rank 7 and dropped back to 10, but I've climbed back up to 7 again in the last two days.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am

The new Hunter card is:

Webspinner - 1 mana, 1/1 - Deathrattle: Draw a random Beast card.

Apart from Power Word: Shield, I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest card draw in the game.

Edit: This doesn't draw a card from your deck, it creates a new card. Which makes it even better.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:12 am

Well one'd also have to see if the beasts you draw are actually ok to be played or a waste of mana...

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games